Tuten, Virginia Tech rush to 38-10 win over Syracuse

Published Fri, 29 Mar 2024 11:06:51 GMT

Tuten, Virginia Tech rush to 38-10 win over Syracuse BLACKSBURG, Va. (AP) — Bhayshul Tuten rushed for 118 yards and a touchdown to lead Virginia Tech to a 38-10 victory over Syracuse on Thursday.Malachi Thomas rushed for 87 yards and quarterback Kyron Drones added 65 yards rushing for the Hokies (4-4, 3-1 Atlantic Coast Conference), who amassed season highs in rushing yards (318) and total yards (528) and won for the third time in the past four games.Virginia Tech never trailed, scoring on its first six possessions. Da’Quan Felton hauled in two touchdown passes, including a 62-yarder from Drones and a 16-yarder on a tailback pass from Thomas. Tuten added a 3-yard touchdown run, and John Love kicked three field goals as the Hokies led 30-3 at halftime.The Hokies had 341 yards and 17 first downs in the first half.Syracuse (4-4, 0-4) now has lost four straight games by an average of 29 points per game. Quarterback Garrett Shrader paced the Orange with 138 yards passing and a touchdown but was sacked eight times.TAKEAWAYSSyracuse: The Ora...

Man with Down syndrome found safe after going missing in Montgomery Co. days ago

Man with Down syndrome found safe after going missing in Montgomery Co. days ago A 31-year-old man with Down syndrome who had been missing since Oct. 20 was found safe Thursday night, Montgomery County police announced.Rashawn Williams ran away from a day home, got on a bus and then hopped on a Metro train, according to his father, Jimmy Hall.Williams was found inside the Glenmont Metro station, according to a police search manager.“He ran away from the staff and it just so happened that the bus pulled up at the same time,” Hall said.Williams rode the train for more than 3 hours, and had never been on a bus or train before. He was last seen leaving the Glenmont Metro Station before being found safe and unharmed Thursday. Montgomery County police did not share any other details about how or where he was found.Update: Rashawn Williams has been located safe and unharmed. Thank you for sharing!— Montgomery County Department of Police (@mcpnews) October 27, 2023This is a developing story. Stay with WTOP for the latest.WTOP’s Kyle Cooper contributed to this repo...

Reilly Smith scores twice, Penguins end Colorado’s NHL-record road winning streak, 4-0

Reilly Smith scores twice, Penguins end Colorado’s NHL-record road winning streak, 4-0 PITTSBURGH (AP) — Reilly Smith scored twice, Tristan Jarry stopped 30 shots and the Pittsburgh Penguins ended Colorado’s NHL-record road winning streak with a decisive 4-0 victory on Thursday.The Avalanche had won 15 straight away from Ball Arena dating to March and came in as one of three teams in the league unbeaten on the young season. Both runs came to a halt.Smith beat Alexandar Georgiev twice in the first period to put Colorado down multiple goals for the first time all season. Lars Eller added his first goal for Pittsburgh in the second period and Sidney Crosby scored his fourth goal midway through the third.Jarry picked up his 15th career shutout.DUCKS 4, BRUINS 3, OTBOSTON (AP) — Mason McTavish scored on a 2-on-1 break with 2:52 remaining in overtime to give Anaheim the victory and hand Boston its first loss of the season.David Pastrnak had a goal and an assist, while Charlie McAvoy added three assists, but Boston surrendered a 3-1 lead in the third period. Charlie Coyle an...

'You feel violated': Truck thief takes 50 guns, 3,000 rounds ammo from home

'You feel violated': Truck thief takes 50 guns, 3,000 rounds ammo from home ARAPAHOE COUNTY, Colo. (KDVR) — An Arapahoe County couple was left trying to figure out why thieves would break into their home and take 50 guns, 3,000 rounds of ammo, a generator, an air compressor, tools, a cannon safe filled with more guns and a 2016 Ram pickup truck.“It’s overwhelming what needs to be done," Kristen Fields said. What to know before voting on Prop HH She and her husband, Dwayne, are still shaken from finding their home ransacked when they arrived home Saturday afternoon."Our garage door was opened. It was like, what happened?" she said. "Trash was all over the place."It didn't take the couple long to realize they had been burglarized. “I wanted to vomit. I felt sick to my stomach. You feel so violated," Fields said.Heirloom guns irreplaceable to burglary victimsThe tire tracks from dragging the safe away from the building could still be seen five days after the incident.“The guns in the safe are family heirlooms handed down from his grandfather and father," Fi...

Artist John Miller’s mouthwatering, diner-inspired glass blown art is on the menu at UM’s Lowe Art Museum

Artist John Miller’s mouthwatering, diner-inspired glass blown art is on the menu at UM’s Lowe Art Museum Did someone order some fine dinning? Well, the food in this upcoming story isn’t for eating. Sorry!This food is strictly artwork. Deco’s Alex Miranda is in Coral Gables with the scoop on the glass art.It’s no secret that Coral Gables has a thriving foodie scene, but at the Lowe Art Museum in The City Beautiful, you might find the most beautiful meals. Only problem is, and this is tragic, you can’t eat it.John Miller has taste…Alex Miranda: “Which piece of the show makes you the most hungry when you look at it?”John Miller: “Probably the bacon cheeseburger or the Chicago dog.”…for glass.John Miller: “I think about everything in glass all the time, because I’ve been immersed in it for so, so long.”The artist loves him a good diner.John Miller: “It’s not pretentious at all; that’s the big thing.”Alex Miranda: “Preach. That’s why I love them.”But one day, the man just ...

‘Five Nights at Freddy’s’ so bad it’s scary

‘Five Nights at Freddy’s’ so bad it’s scary An instant candidate for a worst film of the year list, “Five Nights at Freddy’s” from Universal and Blumhouse is based on a 2014 video-game by Scott Cawthon. Directed by Emma Tammi (“The Wind”) and written by Tammi, Cawthon and Seth Cuddeback (“Mateo”), the film is at its best when it merely makes no sense. Meet Mike (Josh Hutcherson of those godforsaken original “Hunger Games” films). When Mike was a boy he was charged by his mother with keeping an eye on his little brother Garrett (Lucas Grant), who was taken by a faceless man in a car and never seen again.Cut to sleep-deprived adult Mike (Hutcherson). He lives with his much younger sister Abby (“Stranger Things”-ready Piper Rubio), who obsessively draws pictures of her with Mike and some cartoon animals. Almost unemployable, Mike accepts a job offered by a weirdly menacing agent (Matthew Lillard) at Freddy Fazbear’s Pizza, an abandoned 1980’s-era pizzeria/arcade.Like in the game, Mike’s job is to sit befo...

‘Fellow Travelers’ makes way through Scare-driven D.C.

‘Fellow Travelers’ makes way through Scare-driven D.C. There’s real history in this week’s fictional gay “Fellow Travelers” series that highlights the political horrors of queer life in 1950s Washington, D.C., and the horrors of the ‘80s AIDS plague.“Fellow Travelers,” beginning on Paramount+ Friday and Showtime Sunday, is adapted from Thomas Mallon’s book by the Oscar-nominated “Philadelphia” screenwriter Ron Nyswaner. He held the rights for a decade before making this eight-part series.“I fell in love with the two lovers at the center of Mallon’s novel,” Nyswaner, 67, said in a Zoom press conference of Hawkins Fuller (played by Matt Bomer), a slick if closeted D.C. insider, and the very Catholic, closeted Tim Laughlin (England’s Jonathan Bailey).“It was the kind of relationship I find compelling: A relationship of opposites. They’re not meant to be together but are powerfully drawn to each other. I was immediately taken with that — and then this is a drama with high stakes. I know about that! I did three seasons of ‘Homeland.’“I...

Rivas: Menthol ban would boost $$ incentive for cartels

Rivas: Menthol ban would boost $$ incentive for cartels International commerce flowing across the border between the United States and Mexico is a shared responsibility between our two nations and an important area of focus for our collective long-term prosperity. As such, news of President Joe Biden’s plans to finalize a ban on menthol cigarettes is a source of great concern.Powerful Mexican cartels, sophisticated multibillion-dollar criminal enterprises, are already trafficking illicit tobacco to fund their violent operations. The current regulated market for menthol cigarettes is $30 billion. A nationwide prohibition on menthols will create a tremendous profit incentive for these cartels to become more aggressive in their activity.As the General Director of the National Citizen Observatory of Security, Justice and Legality A.C. (ONC), and a National Security Council of Mexico member, I know what the cartels are capable of. These high-tech, organized crime networks continue to innovate and diversify beyond drugs and weapons. They evolv...

Ian Anderson brings fresh & fave Tull to MGM

Ian Anderson brings fresh & fave Tull to MGM For a good half-century, the list of notable rock/pop flute players largely began and ended with Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull. In recent years, he says, he’s finally noticed a new one on the scene.“There is somebody called Lizzo that I hear about,” he said during a recent Zoom interview. “And she’s probably a much better flute player than I am, having been classically trained.”They’ve gone in and out of style too many times to count, but Tull remains as individual as ever. Their latest album “RokFlote” is the best – and probably only – concept album about Norse mythology you’ll hear this year. But then, not many people were making albums about organized religion in 1971, when Tull released the now-classic ”Aqualung.” Both albums will likely be represented when the band hits the MGM Grand on Saturday.“Norse mythology originally struck me as a very bad jumping off point for a Jethro Tull record,” he says. “The challenge was to find a way to do it. I had to adopt a light touch in the wr...

Chieppo & Gass: Civics poll shows state has much work to do

Chieppo & Gass: Civics poll shows state has much work to do With wars raging in the Middle East and Ukraine — not to mention the recent conflict in the Republican caucus of the U.S. House of Representatives — it has rarely been more important that American voters have the knowledge they need to make wise choices in upcoming federal elections. Unfortunately, after decades of civics being marginalized in public schools, the data show that such knowledge is sorely lacking.Massachusetts is one of the best-educated states in the country, the only one in which more than half the workforce holds a bachelor’s degree or better. Yet when Pioneer Institute commissioned and Emerson College Polling conducted a survey that asked state residents some of the questions immigrants must answer correctly to gain U.S. citizenship, the responses earned those voters a cumulative grade of 63, or a “D.”State residents got a failing grade on two basic questions about the U.S. Senate. Only 52% knew the Senate has 100 members, while just 55% knew that a senator’s term ...