Turkey’s Erdogan retains power, now faces challenges over the economy and earthquake recovery

Published Thu, 28 Mar 2024 22:41:50 GMT

Turkey’s Erdogan retains power, now faces challenges over the economy and earthquake recovery ANKARA, Turkey (AP) — Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has a mandate to rule until 2028, securing five more years as leader of a country at the crossroads of Europe and Asia that plays a key role in NATO. He must now confront skyrocketing inflation that has fueled a cost-of-living crisis and rebuild in the aftermath of a devastating earthquake that killed more than 50,000 people.Erdogan secured more than 52% of the vote in Sunday’s presidential runoff, two weeks after he fell short of scoring an outright victory in the first round. His opponent, Kemal Kilicdaroglu, had sought to reverse Erdogan’s increasingly authoritarian leanings, promising to return to democratic norms, adopt more conventional economic policies and improve ties with the West. But in the end, voters chose the man they see as a strong, proven leader.Erdogan thanked the nation for entrusting him with the presidency again in two speeches he delivered in Istanbul and Ankara.“The only winner today is Turkey,” Erd...

Malaysia detains Chinese barge on suspicion of looting WWII British warship wrecks

Malaysia detains Chinese barge on suspicion of looting WWII British warship wrecks KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia (AP) — Malaysia’s maritime agency said Monday it found a cannon shell believed to be from World War II on a Chinese-registered vessel and was investigating if the barge carrier was involved in the looting of two British warship wrecks in the South China Sea.Malaysian media reported that illegal salvage operators were believed to have targeted the HMS Repulse and the HMS Prince of Wales, which were sunk in 1941 by Japanese torpedoes, days after the attack on Pearl Harbor. A total of 842 sailors perished, and the shipwrecks are designated war graves. Fishermen and divers alerted authorities after spotting a foreign vessel near the area last month.The agency said it detained the vessel registered in Fuzhou, China, on Sunday for anchoring without a permit off Malaysia’s southern Johor state. It said there were 32 crew members aboard, including 21 Chinese, 10 from Bangladesh and a Malaysian. The agency said officials from the National Heritage Departmen...

Thousands flee wildfires near Halifax : In The News for May 29

Thousands flee wildfires near Halifax : In The News for May 29 In The News is a roundup of stories from The Canadian Press designed to kickstart your day. Here is what’s on the radar of our editors for the morning of May 29 …What we are watching in Canada …The Halifax Regional Municipality has opened an evacuation centre to accommodate thousands of residents fleeing wildfires near suburban communities northwest of Halifax.The evacuation centre at the Canada Games Centre, located at 26 Thomas Raddall Drive, was opened to support impacted residents — especially residents without family supports or insurance.A rapidly spreading wildfire, fed by strong winds and tinder-dry woods, has damaged or destroyed dozens of homes in the region.Amid thick plumes of smoke, residents fled from the Tantallon area Sunday afternoon after the RCMP issued an emergency alert about rapidly advancing “structure and forest fires.” Over the next six hours, another three alerts called for more evacuations as the fire grew.The evacuation...

Griffin-nominated poet Susan Musgrave on what happens after the worst

Griffin-nominated poet Susan Musgrave on what happens after the worst After spending years on high alert, anticipating the worst and attempting to prevent it, Susan Musgrave is learning to live with its aftermath. The Griffin-nominated poet’s husband, Stephen Reid, and younger daughter, Sophie Musgrave Reid, died within just a few years of each other, the former claimed by a lung infection and heart failure at age 68, the latter by an overdose at 32. Suddenly they were gone, and with that nightmare realized, they left a yawning hole where her dread once lived.“Stephen and Sophie living with addiction, you become hypervigilant. You try and keep control of lives that are out of control, so you’re always watching for everything,” Musgrave said by phone from her home on Haida Gwaii. “I’m waiting for the next catastrophe or waiting for them to die, which they did. I think the worst has happened, and then it hasn’t, because they stay dead.”Following Reid’s death in 2018, Musgrave moulded her grief into p...

Election day: Alberta voters go to the polls, expected nail-biter between UCP, NDP

Election day: Alberta voters go to the polls, expected nail-biter between UCP, NDP It’s election day in Alberta in what polls suggest could be a nail-biter finish between the province’s two dominant parties. Danielle Smith’s United Conservative Party is fighting to win a second consecutive majority government, while Rachel Notley’s NDP is trying to regain the government it lost to the UCP in 2019. Both leaders have been premier and leaders of the official Opposition. To win, the NDP would have to continue its dominance in Edmonton, flip the majority in Calgary and hope for some help in smaller cities, while defeating scores of UCP incumbents including cabinet ministers.The NDP needs to swing 20 seats in the 87-seat legislature. Polls suggest the UCP should continue its near total domination in rural areas and smaller centres, giving it a cushion of up to 40 or so seats to reach the threshold of 44 needed to form a majority government. The month-long campaign has been dominated by the economy and health care.Albertans are struggling with high costs for consum...

Canadian companies adopt ‘stay interviews’ as workers rethink careers, needs

Canadian companies adopt ‘stay interviews’ as workers rethink careers, needs TORONTO — When Tara Vanderloo’s employees are mulling leaving her enterprise software company, she wants to be one of the first people they tell — and to hear their unvarnished reasons why.“I know people get called by recruiters, so I’ve asked the question: ‘who are you talking to or what type of organizations?'” said the chief experience officer at Sensei Labs in Toronto.“Have you had any thoughts or are you questioning why you want to be here?”Vanderloo poses the questions in one-on-one meetings she and other staff periodically have with the company’s workforce of roughly 70. The discussions, which some companies call “stay interviews,” are designed to collect feedback from employees and are aimed at learning what the company can do to retain valued team members and keep them happy.Some companies have been hosting such meetings for years, but many more adopted the practice over the course of the COVID-19 pandemic as the health crisis cause...

Daily horoscope for May 29, 2023

Daily horoscope for May 29, 2023 Moon Alert: Avoid shopping or making important decisions from 5:30 a.m. to 11 a.m. EDT today (2:30 a.m. to 8 a.m. PDT). After that, the Moon moves from Virgo into Libra.Happy Birthday for Monday, May 29, 2023:You are intellectually energetic and always an idealist. People like your upbeat energy, which can be dauntless. This is a year of change for you, which means you have to stay flexible and light on your feet. Seek out new opportunities. Trust your intuition. Travel is likely.ARIES(March 21-April 19) ★★★Cooperate with others today. People are in a friendly mood, and they will be pleased for your help and input. Social plans, fun activities with kids and something to do with sports will all be excellent choices for you. Join forces with friends and partners. Tonight: Listen.TAURUS(April 20-May 20) ★★★★Today you might see ingenious ways to improve your job or how you do your work. Likewise, you might see ways to improve your health. Act on your impulse to make home improvements. Y...

Migrants who tried to cross Mediterranean brought back to Libya

Migrants who tried to cross Mediterranean brought back to Libya Nearly 500 migrants who tried to cross the central Mediterranean have been brought back to Libya, a spokesman for the UN migration agency said on Friday (26 May), two days after charity groups lost contact with the boat carrying them."Libya is an unsafe port where migrants should never be brought back," Flavio Di Giacomo, a spokesman for the UN's International Organization for Migration (IOM) wrote on Twitter.He said there were 485 migrants and they docked in the Libyan port of Benghazi on Friday. No further details were provided to IOM at this stage.Alarm Phone, a group that picks up calls from migrant vessels in distress, had no signs from the boat since Wednesday morning.At the time, the boat was adrift, with no working engine, in high seas about 320 km (200 miles) north of Libya and more than 400 km away from Malta or Italy's southern island of Sicily.The Italian Coast Guard reported on Thursday (25 May) the rescue of 423 and 671 migrants in two separate operations in Italian se...

Miss Manners: Must I order sheep’s brains if I don’t want to share my food?

Miss Manners: Must I order sheep’s brains if I don’t want to share my food? DEAR MISS MANNERS: My wife and I regularly go out to dinner with a few other couples. The wives are fond of sharing their food with each other, trading bites. Often the husbands are asked to join in.I simply do not like to participate in this. I feel my reasons are valid and nobody else’s business. However, when I decline, there are usually comments from the wives that appear to be designed to make me feel antisocial because of my decision.Related ArticlesAdvice | Miss Manners: My former co-workers made snide comments about my presence Advice | Miss Manners: I’m a millennial, so don’t expect me to follow older people’s rules Advice | Miss Manners: Is it cute that she’s bringing her boyfriend? No, I’m fuming. Advice | Miss Manners: Is it OK to use social media to tell the truth about my neighbors? Advice | Miss Manners: I let the hostess know I was angry at her. Was I rude? ...

Succession” se da un último baño con los tiburones en su fascinante final de serie

Succession” se da un último baño con los tiburones en su fascinante final de serie Nota del editor: La siguiente reseña contiene spoilers importantes sobre el final de la serie “Succession”.(CNN) — Los hijos de Logan Roy se dieron un agradable baño juntos en el final de “Succession”, que resultó ser un preludio perfecto para la demostración de despedida de la serie de los peligros de nadar con tiburones, y el hecho de que su imperioso padre dejó unos zapatos, en última instancia, que no podían llenar. En el proceso, los fans disfrutaron de risas, lágrimas y dos de las peleas más lamentables de la historia de la televisión.Todas las relaciones clave se desarrollaron de forma que se sintieron perfectamente en sintonía con el punto en el que la serie se había ido construyendo a lo largo de esta extraordinaria temporada, hasta el inquietante plano final de Kendall (Jeremy Strong) solo y de espaldas, un eco de su padre sin el estatus y la familia que le rodean. Si eso supuso saltarse algunas cosas –como explicar el destino de las eleccione...