Dear Abby: Husband dealing with handicap feels alone

Published Thu, 28 Mar 2024 10:29:17 GMT

Dear Abby: Husband dealing with handicap feels alone Dear Abby: I am medically retired and have mobility issues, so I’m unable to be active or socialize. I don’t have many friends outside my family, so I spend many hours alone at home. My wife is an elementary school teacher. My two youngest children are in high school.My wife is an excellent teacher, and I appreciate everything she does for our family and her students. When she returns home in the evening, she has to grade papers, create lesson plans and dozens of other things that need preparation. I understand this, but when she’s finished, she spends the rest of the evenings or weekends on social media.Trying to have a conversation with her is almost impossible because she’s not listening or interacting with me. I get short “yes” or “no” answers or constant “uh-huh” replies. I’ve tried talking with her about the fact I feel marginalized, but she just gets angry.It’s not easy being married to a physically handi...

Editorial: Donor organ supply and demand must be better matched

Editorial: Donor organ supply and demand must be better matched It’s a now-taken-for-granted miracle that each year in these United States, more than 40,000 people have many healthy years added to their lives by getting new kidneys, livers, hearts and, in rare cases, lungs. That’s terrific, but the bureaucratic apparatus that connects people in need to organs isn’t nearly as efficient as it can be. Just in time, the Biden administration is moving to change that by opening up for bid the contract that’s been performed for decades by the United Network for Organ Sharing.The UNOS and the regional procurement organizations that receive and distribute organs are run by well-meaning and committed professionals. But it’s been apparent for decades now that, given advances in medicine, technology and transportation, there’s got to be a smarter way to replace failing organs.Even as the 40,000 number is worthy of celebration, 100,000 people are on the waitlist for a new lease on life, and some 12,000 every year die or become too sick to get a transplant wh...

Part-time positions just right for retirees

Part-time positions just right for retirees Many adults nearing retirement age count down the days until they can bid adieu to the daily tasks of commuting and working so they can enjoy much more time for recreation, travel or whatever is they aspire to do.As enticing as unending free time may seem, some retirees find it is not ideal to be entirely free from the responsibility of working. As current seniors can attest, inflation can drive up the costs of living, meaning that seniors who were once able to afford a certain retirement lifestyle may no longer enjoy that hard-earned luxury.Others may miss the daily opportunities to socialize that working provides, or the way problem-solving on the job stimulates the brain. But even retirees who miss working may not be ready to return to the workforce full-time. That can make part-time employment an ideal fit for mature workers.Here’s a look at some part-time positions that could be a good fit for older adults reentering the workforce.Retail sales associateWorking in retail o...

McCaughey: China in control of Americans’ medications

McCaughey: China in control of Americans’ medications Democrats and Republicans battered TikTok’s CEO at a House of Representatives hearing last week — for good reason. The Chinese app poses a national security risk, accumulating troves of data on its American users. TikTok CEO Shou Zi Chew’s comment that “I don’t think spying is the right way to describe it,” only heightened concerns.Too bad another Chinese threat — bigger and more immediate — isn’t getting the same attention. China has a chokehold on our medication supply chain. Beijing controls many — in some cases, all — active ingredients for the remedies in our medicine chests, the drugs used in emergency rooms and even antibiotics administered to soldiers on the battlefield.The med bottles in your cabinet don’t say “Made in China,” but nearly all are, including 97% of U.S. antibiotics, by some estimates.In a tense situation, Beijing could simply cut off shipments of antibiotics, cancer drugs and other meds, forcing the U.S. t...

Antoni: Debt ceiling could prevent the next banking crisis

Antoni: Debt ceiling could prevent the next banking crisis With the collapse of several banks in the last few weeks, many fear that their deposits aren’t safe and another financial crisis is looming. Worse, the fight in Washington over raising the debt ceiling threatens to strain the system still more. These two issues may seem worlds apart, but both flow from the same source: excessive government spending.Beginning in 2020, Congress suspended the debt ceiling limit on government borrowing and began spending trillions of dollars that it didn’t have – and that was atop the existing budget deficit. Like a family living beyond its means and running up credit-card debt, the government borrowed the money by selling bonds.But the government not only borrowed trillions, it printed that much money at the same time. To prevent the new government bonds from crowding out private borrowing and driving up interest rates in a recession, the Federal Reserve essentially created the money for the government.But this flood of new money caused inflation and e...

Ali Wong, Steven Yeun are riled up in Netflix’s ‘Beef’

Ali Wong, Steven Yeun are riled up in Netflix’s ‘Beef’ Ali Wong and Steven Yeun co-star in “Beef,” Netflix’s wild and wooly road rage series. Surprisingly both Wong and the show’s creator and showrunner Lee Sung Jin have experienced the phenomenon themselves.“When I was 16 years old,” Wong, 40, recalled during a virtual discussion, “this guy was drunk and I don’t know why he was angry at me all of a sudden.  But he was so angry he did pull up on the driver’s side, in the lane that was going the opposite side of traffic, and looked me in the eye in his truck and then he was screaming at me. He threw all sorts of expletives at me. All I could focus on was losing him.“But,” she concluded with a laugh, “I don’t think that influenced my performance.”“Mine was a typical road rage thing,” Lee, 38, said, “where the light turned green and I didn’t go fast enough and he honked at me, said a bunch of things, and raced off.“For some reason that day I was ‘I’ll follow you!’ I didn’t really have a plan. In my mind I was justifying it, like I’m on my ...

Padres fans set new attendance record at Petco Park opening weekend

Padres fans set new attendance record at Petco Park opening weekend SAN DIEGO -- San Diego really showed up for the Padres during opening weekend.A record-breaking number of Padres fans flocked to Petco Park this weekend for the team's opening series against the Colorado Rockies, the ballpark announced Sunday night.Approximately 174,915 fans were in attendance during the opening four-game series, setting a new high for the total number of fans in Petco Park for a four game series. A bit of luck: Padres pride in full bloom at this Del Mar garden Petco Park, which has a capacity of 42,445, was jam-packed with fans during each game of the series, some of which were practically sold-out on Ticketmaster.The excitement for the Padres this year is palpable across the county, with demand for tickets that the team has described as "unprecedented."Earlier this year, season ticket memberships had to be capped for the first time in team history due to fans clamoring for the packages offered -- all stoked for to watch the Friars try again for the team's first ...

‘Son of a Sinner’ Jelly Roll reigns at CMT Music Awards show

‘Son of a Sinner’ Jelly Roll reigns at CMT Music Awards show NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — “Son of a Sinner” singer Jelly Roll was the big winner at the CMT Music Awards, as the rapper-turned-country singer took home three awards on Sunday as an outsider who won over fans with his confessional songs. The tattooed singer got emotional during the show in Austin, Texas, which aired on CBS, as he thanked the country radio industry for its acceptance and shouted out to those who felt like him. “You can be whatever you want to be. I promise you that. I told them that I wanted to be a country singer and I am standing here at the CMT Awards with the male video of the year, baby,” he shouted.Earlier in the night, he brought a choir out for his prayer-themed song “Need a Favor” and got the crowd to raise their hands to the roof. The show started off with a somber tone as country singer and co-host Kelsea Ballerini read off the names of six victims of a school shooting killed Monday in Nashville, Tennessee. She noted how she shared their pain, explaining that...

Oil prices soar on producer output cuts; Asian shares mixed

Oil prices soar on producer output cuts; Asian shares mixed BANGKOK (AP) — Oil prices soared more than 5% after Saudi Arabia and other major oil producers said they will cut production by 1.15 million barrels per day from May until the end of the year. Shares in Asia were mixed on Monday and the dollar rose against the Japanese yen. U.S. benchmark crude oil rose $4.14 to $79.81 per barrel, or 5.5%, in electronic trading on the New York Mercantile Exchange. It rose $1.30 to $75.67 per barrel on Friday, ahead of the weekend meeting where members of the so-called OPEC+ group of oil exporting countries decided on the cuts, which are in addition to a reduction announced last October that infuriated the Biden administration. The cuts immediately pushed prices higher and were expected to also lead to higher gas prices, adding to strains in many countries where high fuel prices are a heavy burden. Higher oil prices also will complicate the efforts by central banks to rein in inflation. “This will create both political waves across Europe and even hi...

Trump faces setbacks in other probes as NY case proceeds

Trump faces setbacks in other probes as NY case proceeds WASHINGTON (AP) — Former President Donald Trump faces the most urgent legal challenge of his life this week in New York, where he’s set to be arraigned Tuesday on charges arising from hush money payments during his 2016 campaign. But as much of the attention will be on the courthouse in lower Manhattan, investigations from Atlanta to Washington will press forward, underscoring the broad range of peril he confronts as he seeks to reclaim the presidency. The vulnerability Trump faces in Washington alone has become clear over the past month, as judges in a succession of sealed rulings have turned aside the Trump team’s efforts to block grand jury testimony — including from his own lawyer and his former vice president — from witnesses who were, or still are, close to him and who could conceivably offer direct insight into key events.The rulings directing advisers and aides to testify don’t suggest that the Justice Department is close to bringing criminal charges, nor do they guara...