Biden faces more criticism about the US-Mexico border, one of his biggest problems heading into 2024

Published Thu, 28 Mar 2024 09:14:50 GMT

Biden faces more criticism about the US-Mexico border, one of his biggest problems heading into 2024 MIAMI (AP) — The ad sounds like something out of the GOP 2024 playbook, trumpeting a senator’s work with Republicans to crack down on the flow of fentanyl and other illegal drugs into the U.S., getting tough on Chinese interests helping smugglers, and noting how he “wrote a bill signed by Donald Trump to increase funding for Border Patrol.”It’s actually a commercial for Sen. Sherrod Brown, an Ohio Democrat facing a tough reelection fight that will help decide control of the Senate. “Ohioans trust Sherrod Brown to keep us safe,” says the narrator of the ad, sponsored by the Democrat-aligned Duty and Country PAC. His campaign declined to comment.The message is one more indication of the political and security challenges the U.S.-Mexico border has presented for President Joe Biden. Some Democrats across the country are distancing themselves from the White House, and polls indicate widespread frustration with Biden’s handling of immigration and the border, creating a major liabili...

Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta brings colorful displays to the New Mexico sky

Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta brings colorful displays to the New Mexico sky The Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta is ready to bring colorful displays to the New Mexico sky. The event is scheduled to start at sunrise on Saturday with a drone light show and mass ascension of hot air balloons. Over nine days, local residents and visitors are expected to be treated to a cavalcade of colorful and special-shaped balloons.The annual gathering has become a major economic driver for the state’s biggest city. The Rio Grande river and nearby mountains provide spectacular backdrops to the fiesta that began with a few pilots launching 13 balloons from an open lot near a shopping center on what was the edge of Albuquerque in 1972. The fiesta has morphed into one of the most photographed events in the world, now based at Balloon Fiesta Park. Balloon designs have featured cartoon animals, Star Wars characters and even the polar bear found on Klondike bars. “But they’re still all about the basics,” said fiesta director Sam Parks, who flies a globe-style balloon model...

Vigil held for Manhattan Beach officer killed in 405 Freeway crash

Vigil held for Manhattan Beach officer killed in 405 Freeway crash A vigil was held Friday night to honor a Manhattan Beach motorcycle officer who was killed in a multi-vehicle crash on the 405 Freeway in Carson.Hundreds of loved ones and community members gathered at the Manhattan Beach Civic Center Plaza to remember fallen officer Chad Swanson, 35.The deadly crash, which involved four vehicles, occurred on Oct. 4 around 5:15 a.m. on the northbound 405 Freeway near East Del Amo Boulevard, according to the California Highway Patrol. During the crash, Swanson was struck and ejected off his motorbike, authorities said. He was taken to a local hospital where he later died.Swanson had been with the Manhattan Beach Police Department for 13 years. Colleagues from Manhattan Beach police shared stories about Swanson who was a loving husband and father to three young boys.“He left such a deep and profound impression on us all that it would be impossible to let him fade,” said Officer Donovan Torres, Swanson’s colleague.Officer Chad Swanson. EOW photo p...

Cook’s Corner shooting survivor reacts to police body cam video

Cook’s Corner shooting survivor reacts to police body cam video Newly released police cam video from the deadly mass shooting at Cook’s Corner in Trabuco Canyon shows the tense gun battle to stop the shooter. Three people were killed and six others wounded when retired Ventura Police Sgt. John Snowling opened fire inside and outside the bar on Aug. 23.  Cook’s Corner reopens after deadly mass shooting A victim of the mass shooting who survived is speaking out after seeing the police body cam video for the first time. "I was hit with a 38,” said Mike Bertuccini, a Cook’s Corner shooting survivor. “It went through my side, went through my left lung, my diaphragm, hit my liver, and went into my stomach."Bertuccini recalls being just a few feet from the gunman when he stormed out of the bar with two handguns after shooting his estranged wife and her friends and then firing into the patio crowd. "I remember when I got hit it felt like somebody punched me,” Bertuccini remembered. “But when I turned and looked and he was just standing there...

Millard’s return to Pleasanton ‘surreal’ as Monte Vista dominates: ‘It was bittersweet’

Millard’s return to Pleasanton ‘surreal’ as Monte Vista dominates: ‘It was bittersweet’ PLEASANTON – Johnny Millard was equal parts elated and somber after Monte Vista’s 41-14 victory at Foothill.The Monte Vista coach, whose team needed to snap a two-game skid and did so behind Julian McMahan’s 169 yards and three touchdowns, was thrilled to see his team physically dominate the Falcons at the line of scrimmage.But the Pleasanton native, who starred at the local school in the late-2000’s and later coached under Greg Haubner, took little joy in routing old friends on Foothill’s homecoming night.“It was bittersweet,” Millard said after his first game at Foothill since taking the Monte Vista coaching job in 2022. “These are my boys, and I love them to death. But when you look across the field, and it’s just surreal.”“Those guys are my family.”Monte Vista head coach Johnny Millard, in white shirt with headset, watches his team take on the Foothill Falcons during the first quarter of a high school football game, Friday, Oct. 6, 2023 in Pleasanton, Calif. (D. Ross Camer...

The Marco Show: San Ramon Valley’s two-way star does it all in rout of Clayton Valley

The Marco Show: San Ramon Valley’s two-way star does it all in rout of Clayton Valley CONCORD — Marco Jones had that look about him all week, the look of someone ready to make a huge impact on game day.The two-way San Ramon Valley standout did it all Friday night. He had a huge tackle for loss on a key third-down play in the second quarter when the game was tight. He caught two touchdown passes, including one between two defenders. He had a strip sack in the second half.“He came to play tonight, for sure,” SRV coach Aaron Becker said. “He’s remarkable. I knew his mindset was right from Monday through the whole of practice.”With quarterback Luke Baker on target once again, the Wolves broke open the score in the second half and went on to beat Clayton Valley Charter 35-7 in an East Bay Athletic League Mountain Division opener for both teams.The victory improved San Ramon Valley’s record to 6-0. Clayton Valley fell to 2-4.Baker finished 20 of 24 passing for 334 yards and four touchdowns as SRV cleared its final hurdle before nex...

One killed, another critically injured, in Richmond triple shooting

One killed, another critically injured, in Richmond triple shooting RICHMOND — One person was killed and two others were seriously wounded in a triple shooting here Friday evening, police said.Police have not identified the victims by name, age or gender, but say three people were shot in the 900 block of 23rd Street. One of the victims died, a second is in critical condition with a gunshot wound to the head, and a third person survived being shot multiple times, including in the back.Related ArticlesCrime and Public Safety | Recent Oakland homicide victim ID’d as new father Crime and Public Safety | Livermore rancher gets 7 years for killing his brother over PG&E bill Crime and Public Safety | Rodeo couple charged with torturing 2-year-old and infant, murder of toddler in latest horrific Bay Area child abuse case Crime and Public Safety | Judge denies request to release accused Oakland child killer to Sacramento and Vacaville Crime and Public Safety | One dead, one...

1 dead, 2 injured in Richmond shooting

1 dead, 2 injured in Richmond shooting (KRON) -- One person is dead and two others are injured after a shooting in the City of Richmond Friday night, the Richmond Police Department confirmed to KRON4. Richmond police responded to the 900 block of 23rd Street at 7:45 p.m. for a ShotSpotter notification. Officers found all three victims at the scene. Police did not have information on the severity of the injuries suffered by the two victims who survived the shooting.RPD continues to investigate the circumstances surrounding the shooting.

Bangladesh wins the toss and will bowl first against Afghanistan at the Cricket World Cup

Bangladesh wins the toss and will bowl first against Afghanistan at the Cricket World Cup Bangladesh won the toss and chose to bowl against Afghanistan at the Cricket World Cup on Saturday at Dharamsala, India.It was the first of two World Cup matches on Saturday, with South Africa scheduled to play Sri Lanka in a later match at New Delhi.Afghanistan lost all nine games at the 2019 World Cup in England. Pacer Naveen ul Haq is back into the side, but Afghanistan has gone spin heavy with three frontline spinners in Rashid Khan, Mohammad Nabi and Mujeeb ur Rahman.Bangladesh has never qualified for the semifinals at a World Cup and skipper Shakib Al Hasan will be hoping to improve on that record in his fifth and final time at the tournament.It has chosen to go with a pace-heavy lineup to counter Afghanistan’s spin. Pacer Taskin Ahmed has taken 21 wickets in 10 ODIs in 2023, and has enjoyed past success against Afghanistan openers.This is the first of four World Cup games to be played at Dharamsala and the only day game. The picturesque ground will also host India versus New ...

The Israeli military says it is striking targets in the Gaza Strip

The Israeli military says it is striking targets in the Gaza Strip JERUSALEM (AP) — The Israeli military says it is striking targets in the Gaza Strip.Source