San Jose nonprofit gets $250k county grant for environmental education

Published Thu, 28 Mar 2024 12:56:08 GMT

San Jose nonprofit gets $250k county grant for environmental education OSO, YSI get county grantsSanta Clara County recently approved grants for the expansion of two local youth environmental education programs: the Youth Science Institute (YSI) and O’Neill Sea Odyssey (OSO).Founded by Jack O’Neill in 1996, OSO provides free firsthand marine science learning for 5,000 fourth- through sixth-graders and students with disabilities annually. The $250,000 grant from the county will enable the San Jose-based nonprofit to expand its educational programming to 80 additional classes from under-resourced Santa Clara County schools.“Many parts of Santa Clara County are connected to our ocean through their local watershed,” said Tracey Weiss, executive director of OSO. “This county grant will allow Santa Clara County students to understand how they are connected to our ocean ecosystem and provide youth with a hands-on learning experience.”The nonprofit YSI provides hands-on learning to 30,000 students annually through its science summer camps, school a...

Santa Clara County launches Accessory Dwelling Unit website

Santa Clara County launches Accessory Dwelling Unit website County ADU websiteSanta Clara County’s Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU) website is now live at http://www.aduscc.org.It offers free resources to help guide property owners through the process of building an ADU. An ADU is a secondary residential unit that includes permanent sleeping, eating, cooking and sanitation facilities. ADUs can provide an affordable housing option, as well as supplemental income to the owner.On the website, property owners can look at floorplans, hear from neighbors about what they built and download a free ADU Guidebook. The website also provides an overview of the ADU process and important items to consider, as well as an  ADU glossary and calculator.Fall hikesBay Area Older Adults is hosting a few hikes for local residents to take in fall.An Oct. 11 art and history walk at Montalvo Arts Center in Saratoga will wend gradually up to Lookout Point for a panoramic view of Silicon Valley. Along the way, hikers will learn about historic Villa Montalvo and end with ...

Proposed project on Alberto Way is first in Los Gatos to use state streamlining law

Proposed project on Alberto Way is first in Los Gatos to use state streamlining law Los Gatos received its first official residential development project that invokes a state housing law designed to streamline the process.The proposed 52-unit, mixed-use, multi-family development at 405 Alberto Way made its way through the planning commission earlier this month and is has moved past the pre-application phase.  The development would include retail and fitness spaces, palm trees, a bocce court and central pool.Newport Beach-based developers Bucilla Group Architecture invoked Senate Bill 330, a state housing law that prohibits cities from passing laws to prevent specific housing developments from being built, to expedite the permitting process.The project, which was submitted to the city Aug. 28 and sits next to Highway 17 and Saratoga-Los Gatos Boulevard, would have a modern look similar to the controversial North 40 Phase 1 development on Lark Avenue. It includes 600 square feet of retail space, 625 square feet of fitness space and 52 housing units ranging from one t...

Sainz wins Singapore Grand Prix as Verstappen and Red Bull’s streaks end

Sainz wins Singapore Grand Prix as Verstappen and Red Bull’s streaks end SINGAPORE (AP) — Carlos Sainz Jr. won the Singapore Grand Prix for Ferrari on Sunday as Max Verstappen and Red Bull’s historic win streaks in Formula One came to an end. Red Bull had dreamed of winning every race this year but had Verstappen fifth and Perez eighth after struggling all weekend in Singapore.Verstappen’s winning run ended at 10 races and Red Bull’s at 15, including one at the end of last year. Both are Formula One records.Sainz started on pole position and held on with badly worn tires over tense final laps for his second career win in F1 ahead of McLaren’s Lando Norris and the Mercedes of Lewis Hamilton. George Russell crashed the other Mercedes on the final lap from third position to promote Hamilton to the podium. “I felt under control. I felt like I could manage well and we brought it home. That was the best feeling,” Sainz said.Sainz admitted after the race he had slowed down to ensure Norris stay within the one-second window that allowed t...

Sports on TV for Monday, September 18

Sports on TV for Monday, September 18 (All times Eastern)Schedule subject to change and/or blackoutsMonday, September 18COLLEGE FIELD HOCKEY7 p.m.ACCN — Maryland at VirginiaMLB BASEBALL2 p.m.MLBN — Cleveland at Kansas City6:30 p.m.FS1 — Minnesota at Cincinnati10 p.m.MLBN — Regional Coverage: Detroit at LA Dodgers OR Colorado at San Diego (9:30 p.m.)NFL FOOTBALL7:15 p.m.ESPN — New Orleans at CarolinaESPN2 — New Orleans at Carolina8:15 p.m.ABC — Cleveland at PittsburghSOCCER (MEN’S)2:45 p.m.USA — Premier League: Burnley at Nottingham ForestTENNIS7:30 a.m.TENNIS — Guangzhou-WTA Early Rounds1 p.m.TENNIS — Guadalajara-WTA Early Rounds2 a.m. (Tuesday)TENNIS — Guangzhou-WTA Early Rounds_____Source

Today in Sports – Brett Favre joins Dan Marino and John Elway with 50,000 yards passing

Today in Sports – Brett Favre joins Dan Marino and John Elway with 50,000 yards passing Sept. 181899 — The Cincinnati Open begins. It is the oldest tennis tournament in the United States still played in its original city and is now known as the Cincinnati Masters & Women’s Open.1938 — The Chicago Bears beat the Green Bay Packers 2-0. Left end Dick Plasman tackles Arnie Herber in the end zone in the fourth quarter for the win.1946 — Joe Louis knocks out Tami Mauriello in the first round at Yankee Stadium in New York to retain the world heavyweight title.1960 — Goose Gonsoulin intercepts four passes to lead the Denver Broncos to a 27-21 win over the Buffalo Bills.1965 — In his first collegiate game, quarterback Billy Stevens of Texas-El Paso gains 483 total yards in a 61-15 rout of North Texas State. Receiver Chuck Hughes has 349 of those yards.1966 — Baltimore quarterback Johnny Unitas throws 4 touchdown passes in 38-23 win at Minnesota to surpass Y.A. Tittle as NFL’s career leader with 212; finishes career with 290 TD passes.1967 — U.S. yacht Intrepid beats the Aus...

Drew Barrymore ‘deeply apologizes’ to the Writers Guild of America in an emotional video

Drew Barrymore ‘deeply apologizes’ to the Writers Guild of America in an emotional video (CNN) — Drew Barrymore is apologizing to television and film writers over her decision to resume production on her talk show as members of the Writers Guild of America remain on strike.“I believe there’s nothing I can do or say in this moment to make it okay,” Barrymore said in an emotional video shared Friday.“I wanted to own a decision so that it wasn’t a PR-protected situation and I would just take full responsibility for my actions,” she said. “I know there’s just nothing I can do that will make this okay for those this is not okay with. I fully accept that.”Barrymore’s show drew protest from the union after announcing last weekend they would resume production without WGA writers contributing.“To be clear, our talk show actually wrapped on April 20th so we never had to shut down the show,” she wrote in her statement last week. “However, I am also making the choice to come back for the first time in this strike for our show, that may have my name on it but this is bigger than jus...

Greece’s Mitsotakis vows fresh start after summer of crises, criticism

Greece’s Mitsotakis vows fresh start after summer of crises, criticism ATHENS — Greece’s Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis is promising a fresh start for his administration after severe criticism over the handling of deadly fires and floods this summer.His annual policy speech at the Thessaloniki Trade Fair in northern Greece this weekend was overshadowed by a savage storm that killed 17 people last week and catastrophic wildfires earlier that resulted in 26 deaths. Mitsotakis promised a revamp of the country’s civil protection systems in order to fight the “climate war.” And he pledged a greater involvement of the armed forces to deal with natural disasters.At a press conference on Sunday, the prime minister underlined the need to strengthen EU-wide programs to fight the effects of the climate crisis. “I will not rest until I manage to convince my counterparts” across the EU “of the need to strengthen the EU Solidarity Fund,” he said.Greece’s state coffers for natural disasters would be doubled to €600 million next year, funde...

Chicago Cubs’ tenuous hold on a playoff spot takes another hit with a gut-punching, walk-off loss in 13 innings

Chicago Cubs’ tenuous hold on a playoff spot takes another hit with a gut-punching, walk-off loss in 13 innings For a few moments, everyone in a Chicago Cubs uniform on the field and in the dugout at Chase Field was frozen as they took in the scene.Yan Gomes’ diving, sweeping tag across home plate on right fielder Seiya Suzuki’s throw just missed Evan Longoria’s fingertips as he slid headfirst, sparking a wild celebration by the Arizona Diamondbacks. The Cubs looked on in disbelief, a brief replay review upholding the call to punctuate a crushing 7-6 loss in 13 innings Saturday night.The Cubs had three chances in extra innings to close out a win but allowed the tying run to score in the 10th and 11th before back-to-back two-out singles in the 13th off Hayden Wesneski gave the Diamondbacks the walk-off win. It represented the first time in franchise history the Cubs have scored three runs in extra innings and lost, according to team historian Ed Hartig.“It takes a short memory and the ability to come out here (Sunday) and put everything in the past and be ready to win a...