Nate Paul, Austin investor tied to AG Paxton, charged with 8 federal counts

Published Thu, 28 Mar 2024 15:00:47 GMT

Nate Paul, Austin investor tied to AG Paxton, charged with 8 federal counts Editor's Note: The above video is previous KXAN coverage after Nate Paul's arrest.AUSTIN (KXAN) – Embattled Austin real estate investor Nate Paul – a donor and ally to impeached Attorney General Ken Paxton – has been charged in federal court with eight counts related to making false statements and false reports to mortgage lending companies and credit unions, according to court statements Friday.Each count carries a maximum penalty of up to 30 years in prison and a fine of up to $1,000,000 if convicted, the Department of Justice said in a press release. Gerry Morris, one of Paul’s attorneys, told KXAN that Paul denies all allegations and will be pleading not guilty. Paul was arrested and jailed in Travis County on Thursday on a federal warrant, according to news reports and a spokesperson for the Travis County Sheriff’s Office.The alleged violations happened between March 2017 and April 2018, the Department of Justice release stated. Nate Paul, Austin developer at center of K...

Data breach exposes 95,000 Minnesota student files

Data breach exposes 95,000 Minnesota student files The Minnesota Department of Education says some personal information of 95,000 students was accessed as part of a data breach from a global cyber-security attack.The breach involved computer file transfer software called MOVEit that is used to encrypt and transfer data and is used by companies and government agencies. State officials learned on May 31 the software was vulnerable and had been accessed by an outside group so they moved the same day to protect the files.The state’s investigation found 24 files from the state departments of education and human services were affected. They contained data from children in foster care, the Minneapolis and Perham school districts and Hennepin Technical College.Data from about 95,000 students placed in foster care across the state were accessed including information about demographics, dates of birth and the counties where they are placed.The students affected include 124 in the Perham district who qualified for pandemic electronic ben...

Cars & Crypts show being held at Albany Rural Cemetery

Cars & Crypts show being held at Albany Rural Cemetery ALBANY, N.Y. (NEWS10) -- The Friends of Albany Rural Cemetery will be hosting the second annual Cars & Crypts vintage car show. The event will be held at the cemetery’s Cypress Pond from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. on June 10. Get the latest, news, weather, sports and community events delivered right to your inbox! Last year’s inaugural show saw over fifty different classic cars. Attendees will be able to vote for their favorite vehicles in various categories, as well as having the opportunity to see inside some of the cemetery’s historic vaults. The event will offer food trucks, ice cream, a 50/50 raffle, a silent auction, and raffled off gift baskets from area businesses, including Bella Napoli Italian Bakery, Texas Road House, Nothing Bundt Cake, and Trader Joe’s. Admission to the show is free, with guided tours being run every half hour from 1:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. for $10 per person. Renaissance Festival returns to Indian Ladder Farms Albany Rural Cemetery is located at 3 Cemeter...

Vehicles and more on auction in Adirondacks

Vehicles and more on auction in Adirondacks RAY BROOK, N.Y. (NEWS10) - New York State is set to auction off various surplus items at two locations in the Adirondacks this month. Vehicles, highway equipment and other items will be up for auction. Get the latest, news, weather, sports and community events delivered right to your inbox! The first auction will be held on Tuesday, June 13, starting at 9:30 a.m. at New York State Police Troop B, 1097 State Route 86 in Ray Brook. Next, a second will be held on Wednesday, June 14, starting at 9:30 a.m. at the Department of Environmental Conservation office at 87 Fish Hatchery Road in Saranac Lake.New York auctions off items, vehicles, and property annually, with many postings available online. Inquiries about specific items at the Ray Brook and Saranac Lake auctions can be brought to [email protected], or (518) 457-6335.

I-70 pursuit leads deputies to cocaine, gun and cash; St. Louis man charged

I-70 pursuit leads deputies to cocaine, gun and cash; St. Louis man charged MONTGOMERY COUNTY, Mo. - A St. Louis man is behind bars after a highway pursuit led Missouri deputies to cocaine, cash and a gun earlier this week. Prosecutors have charged Demetrick Taylor, 42, with six felonies and multiple misdemeanors in connection with the pursuit and recovered items. St. Louis County town tows cars from driveways with expired tags The situation unfolded around 12:30 p.m. Wednesday on Interstate 70 in Montgomery County. While on the side of the highway, police approached a driver who provided a false identity. The driver was later determined to be Taylor, who took off westbound on I-70 as deputies attempted to retrieve information. Deputies followed Taylor on I-70 for several miles. At one point he took an exit that allowed him to turn around and head in the opposite direction of I-70. Eventually, authorities boxed in Taylor around Exit 183 in Jonesburg, Missouri. After he stopped, Taylor was taken into custody without incident. Close ...

Aldermen approve plan for new shuttles at Lambert Airport

Aldermen approve plan for new shuttles at Lambert Airport ST. LOUIS - The St. Louis Board of Aldermen has approved a plan that could lead to new shuttles at Lambert Airport. President Megan Green signed Board Bill 11 on Friday, and the legislation now heads to Mayor Tishaura Jones' office for review. St. Louis County town tows cars from driveways with expired tags The bill enables around $110 million in projects and investments toward Lambert Airport. Among them, includes the "purchase of five electric shuttles" in the 2023 fiscal year, according to the bill. In addition to the shuttles, the bill calls for "other necessary and related work or services for the development, implementation, administration, management, or monitoring" of airport projects. The bill would amend an ordinance first approved in 2001 and last updated in 2006 pertaining to airport projects. The ordinance previously stated the total costs for the projects, not including the proposed shuttles, would be around $105 million. Close Thanks for ...

Car catches fire after police chase on I-70 in Lake St. Louis

Car catches fire after police chase on I-70 in Lake St. Louis LAKE ST. LOUIS -- A police chase caused stopped traffic on I-70 WB past Lake Saint Louis Blvd. The car that was chased was on fire blocking the left lane. One person is in custody.A Missouri State Highway Patrol trooper attempted to stop the vehicle for speeding in traffic on I-70 near highway K. The vehicle failed to stop, and the trooper followed the vehicle. During the car chase the vehicle caught fire for an unknown reason. The vehicle slowed and stopped in the road and the driver got out. The driver was arrested without further incident. Firefighters were dispatched to put the fire out and I-70 was cleared. Bommarito Automotive Skyfox was on the scene. They were giving viewers exclusive aerial views of 70 WB past Lake Saint Charles Blvd. All lanes are back open on I-70 in Saint Charles County after the car fire near Lake Saint Louis Blvd.

Volunteers needed to pick up trash along North Grand Brickline Greenway

Volunteers needed to pick up trash along North Grand Brickline Greenway ST. LOUIS -- Volunteers are needed to clean up trash along a 1.3 stretch of North Grand Avenue Saturday. Great Rivers Greenway is helping to organize the event with residents, business owners, and churches.Workers will be stationed along North Grand from Natural Bridge toFinney Avenue. All supplies including bags, gloves, and trash “grabbers” will be providedor people can bring their own.The clean-up area is along a portion of the Brickline Greenway. The paths will eventually link 14 neighborhoods in the City of St. Louis. Are you interested in helping to clean up the community? The event is from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Sign up here.

Former Missouri Senator Ron Richard dies

Former Missouri Senator Ron Richard dies Ron Richard - TwitterMISSOURI — Former Missouri senator and member of MSSU's Board of Governors, Ron Richard, passed away Friday morning. Ron Richard receives honor for his many years of public service In a statement from Missouri Southern State University acknowledging Richard's passing, the school said:“Senator Ron Richard dedicated his life to public service and is one of the university’s most distinguished graduates,” said Dr. Dean Van Galen, president of Missouri Southern State University. “In recognition of his public service, including serving in leadership roles in the Missouri House and Senate, in 2016 he was awarded the university’s inaugural Richard M. Webster Medallion.  Ron Richard was a life-long champion of the university and leaves a tremendous legacy at Missouri Southern.”Missouri Southern State UniversityRon Richard lived in Joplin for the majority of his life, attending McAuley Catholic High School and eventually MSSU.In politics, Richard started his career...

California bill targeting Skittles, other candies really aimed at FDA, lawmaker says

California bill targeting Skittles, other candies really aimed at FDA, lawmaker says Assemblymember Jesse Gabriel wants to make one thing clear: he loves Skittles. His favorite is the Wild Berry mix.So why is Gabriel, one of California's leading gun control advocates, now taking aim at one of his favorite treats? Because the Food and Drug Administration, he says, is failing to protect Americans.“I just assumed there was someone in Washington, D.C. who was watching our backs, and when I learned that was not the case, it all came together for me,” he explained to KTLA.Gabriel (D-Woodland Hills) is the author of Assembly Bill 418 which would prohibit the manufacture, sale, or distribution of products containing red dye No. 3, titanium dioxide, potassium bromate, brominated vegetable oil or propylparaben in California.Those five additives are found in Skittles, Hot Tamales, Peeps, Dubble Bubble Twist Gum, and thousands of other food products. A California bill could ban the sale of Skittles, Hot Tamales candy, Dubble Bubble Twist Gum, and other food items containing dan...