Where to pick apples in the North Country

Published Thu, 28 Mar 2024 16:20:40 GMT

Where to pick apples in the North Country GLENS FALLS, N.Y. (NEWS10) - Cool nights, orange leaves and changing seasonal menus mean apple-picking season is here. The Capital Region has its own fair share of orchards, but as you look into the North Country and Adirondack Park, there's even more in store. Get the latest news, weather, sports and more delivered right to your inbox! Plenty of orchards dot the North Country, and this time of year, there are apples abundant among them. Find out where to go picking this fall: Fiber and fun set for 2023 Adirondack Harvest Festival Banker Orchards1037 Route 3, PlattsburghApples, produce, baked goods, painted pumpkinsOpen daily 8 a.m. - 6 p.m.Hicks Orchard18 Hicks Road, GranvillePick-your-own apples, cider donuts, apple cider and moreWood-fired pizza on Saturdays and Sundays; specialty ciders at Slyboro Ciderhouse onsite9 a.m. - 6 p.m. dailyRogers Family Orchard260 County Highway 131, JohnstownApples, cider, corn, and more produce for sale10 a.m. - 5 p.m. dailyRulfs Orchard531 Bea...

Jury convicts Schenectady man of assaulting former partner

Jury convicts Schenectady man of assaulting former partner SCHENECTADY, N.Y. (NEWS10) -- A Schenectady male accused of assaulting a former intimate partner and the mother of his two children was convicted by a Schenectady County Jury on Wednesday. Jahaad Ubrich was convicted of burglary in the first degree, burglary in the second degree, assault in the third degree, and endangering the welfare of a child. Get the latest news, weather, sports and more delivered right to your inbox! Ubrich allegedly entered his former partner's apartment on July 17, 2022, and assaulted her for approximately 10 minutes until the police arrived. The victim reportedly held their four-month-old son in her arms during the assault. Ubrich attempted to flee on foot but was taken into custody. The victim was treated by the Schenectady Fire Department, providers at Ellis Hospital, and WellNow Urgent Care. She sustained lacerations to the head and arm and a fractured nose.Due to Ubrich's criminal history, he faces a minimum of eight years to a maximum of 25 years in ...

Missouri inmate convicted of killing cop says judges shouldn't get to hand down death sentences

Missouri inmate convicted of killing cop says judges shouldn't get to hand down death sentences A man awaiting sentencing for killing a Missouri police officer is challenging the constitutionality of a state law that allows judges to hand down the death sentence.A jury in June convicted 45-year-old Ian McCarthy of first-degree murder in the fatal shooting of Clinton Police Officer Gary Lee Michael Jr. during a 2017 traffic stop. After days of deliberation, the jury informed the judge that it couldn't decide between the state's only two sentences for first-degree murder: life in prison without parole or death.Missouri and Indiana are the only active death penalty states that allow judges to sentence people to die. Montana also allows judges to hand down death sentences, but it hasn't executed anyone since 2006.McCarthy's attorneys filed a motion last week asking a Jackson County judge to declare the state law unconstitutional and to sentence McCarthy to life in prison. Judge Marco Roldan will consider the motion at the sentencing hearing on Friday.The motion calls Missouri “a c...

Broncos WR Jerry Jeudy returns to practice after missing two weeks with hamstring injury

Broncos WR Jerry Jeudy returns to practice after missing two weeks with hamstring injury With the Broncos short of playmakers heading into Sunday’s season opener against the Las Vegas Raiders, there was a glimmer of hope on Wednesday.Wide receiver Jerry Jeudy returned to practice after being sidelined for the last two weeks due to a right hamstring injury. Jeudy was in uniform, stretching and participating in individual drills during the media viewing of practice. Head coach Sean Payton said Jeudy had “limited” participation.Although Jeudy suited up, second-year tight end Greg Dulcich was not present.The Broncos looked like they would be without their top receiver for an extended period when Jeudy was carted off during their joint practice with the Los Angeles Rams on Aug. 24. A source later confirmed to The Post that Jeudy would likely miss several weeks.Related ArticlesDenver Broncos | Broncos Podcast: Previewing Denver’s season opener against Las Vegas Denver Broncos | Looking for a ride to Empower Field? Bustang ser...

I-70 reopens at Eagle after vehicle fire

I-70 reopens at Eagle after vehicle fire Interstate 70 was briefly closed in both directions near Eagle today to a vehicle fire, according to the Colorado Department of Transportation.The department announced the closure on X, the social media site formerly known as Twitter, just before 2 p.m. The road was closed between Gypsum and Eagle at mile marker 143 and reopened at 2:15 p.m.This is a developing story and may be updated. Related ArticlesNews | I-70 reopens at Denver West after ice cream truck fire is out News | Eastbound lanes of I-70 reopen after truck fire near Golden is extinguished News | Drivers crossing Colorado express lanes’ double white lines face $75 fines as surveillance increases News | I-70 westbound reopened after multi-vehicle crash with serious injuries that forced lane closures News | Heavy rain, flash flood shuts down I-70 through Glenwood Canyon

Man shot by Colorado Springs police in August dies at hospital

Man shot by Colorado Springs police in August dies at hospital The man Colorado Springs police officers shot in August after he reportedly pulled a gun on them died at a hospital sometime after the shooting, Colorado Springs Police Deputy Chief Mary Rosenoff said in a briefing video posted Wednesday on X.The video identified the man as Benjamin Annaboli, 37.Significant Event Briefing: Officer-Involved Shooting, August 17, 2023The following Video provides a summary of releasable facts, circumstances, and information currently known to investigators regarding an officer-involved shooting in Colorado Springs on August 17, 2023.— Colorado Springs Police Department (@CSPDPIO) September 6, 2023U.S. Marshals and parole officers observed him on Aug. 17 in the parking lot of a hotel at 1700 Aeroplaza Drive and identified him as a “violent offender with several outstanding arrest warrants for felony criminal offenses” when they requested assistance from CSPD’s Tactical Enforcement Unit, Rosenoff said.Tactical enforcement officers...

Person of interest in custody in series of Long Beach vehicle fires

Person of interest in custody in series of Long Beach vehicle fires A person of interest seen in photos taken near suspicious vehicle fires in Long Beach is in custody, officials announced Wednesday. The person, who has not been identified, was arrested early Wednesday and detained for further questioning, according to the Long Beach Fire Department. Person of interest sought in series of Long Beach vehicle fires Officials said the man matched the description of one seen in photos near the blazes. A person of interest is sought in connection with a series of vehicle fires in Long Beach. (Kimberly Lewis)The series of vehicle fires began on Aug. 20 and occurred inside apartment complex parking structures in an area between the Long Beach Convention Center and Camden Harbor View Apartments along Cedar Walk. On Tuesday morning, a truck was set on fire in the parking garage of the apartment complex, causing extensive damage. The aftermath of a truck fire inside a Long Beach apartment complex parking structure is seen on Sept. 5, 2023. (KTLA) One resi...

Why leaves change colors when summer turns to fall

Why leaves change colors when summer turns to fall The First of September is the official beginning of fall, at least, as far as meteorologists are concerned, and the vegetation at Mammoth Lakes has received the memo.Photos shared by Mammoth Lakes Tourism showed leaves beginning to turn yellow in a preview of what's to come. Convict Lake, one of the popular destinations for Mammoth Lakes visitors, already has some yellow on the tops of trees and a few fallen leaves scattered on the ground. Rabbitbrush, shrubs that dot the landscape, are also starting to shift toward fall colors.Blake Engelhardt, a botanist for the United States Forest Service, said he's optimistic that the lingering snowpack and moist soils from spring rains could translate into vibrant fall colors. When will the fall colors peak in California? During the summer growing season, leaves are actively producing chlorophyll, which gives them their green color, Engelhardt said. When the seasons shift to fall and days get shorter, things begin to change."Longer nights tr...

Kourtney Kardashian Barker reveals family emergency, thanks doctors for 'saving our baby's life'

Kourtney Kardashian Barker reveals family emergency, thanks doctors for 'saving our baby's life' Kourtney Kardashian Barker has revealed the family emergency her husband, Travis Barker, flew back home for while on tour overseas. The POOSH founder posted a photo on Instagram of her holding hands with Barker with an IV in her arm. Woman goes into labor during Beyonce’s Inglewood concert "I will be forever grateful to my incredible doctors for saving our baby’s life," she wrote. "I am eternally grateful to my husband who rushed to my side from tour to be with me in the hospital and take care of me afterwards, my rock. And to my mom, thank you for holding my hand through this."Kourtney Kardashian and Travis Barker attend the 2021 MTV Video Music Awards at Barclays Center on Sept. 12, 2021, in the Brooklyn borough of New York City. (Photo by Noam Galai/Getty Images for MTV/ViacomCBS)She then explained the procedure she underwent for her unborn child. "As someone who has had three really easy pregnancies in the past, I wasn’t prepared for the fear of rushing into urgent fetal surg...

Knott's announces opening date for Knott's Spooky Farm

Knott's announces opening date for Knott's Spooky Farm Knott’s Spooky Farm, a family-friendly Halloween event, will kick off this year on Sept. 28, , theme park officials announced Wednesday.Aimed at being a family-friendly Halloween celebration, park guests can enjoy trick-or-treating experiences in Ghost Town, pumpkin decorating, and interact with spooky yet friendly characters throughout the park. Knott’s Berry Farm reimplements chaperone policy that was enacted due to fights Kids attending the event are encouraged to wear their costumes and participate in the Halloween Costumes in the Calico Carnival Costume Cavalcade, which will be hosted by fan-favorite town citizens, according to a news release. The Timber Mountain Log and Calico Mine rides will also undergo seasonal transformations to celebrate the Halloween season.   Knott’s Berry Farms celebrates Snoopy’s birthday with 2024 season pass launch The daytime event is available on Thursdays through Sundays until Oct. 29 and will be available on Columbus Day and Halloween....