Cottage Grove: Animal-cruelty investigation underway after eight dogs found dead

Published Thu, 28 Mar 2024 09:14:48 GMT

Cottage Grove: Animal-cruelty investigation underway after eight dogs found dead The Cottage Grove Police Department is asking for tips in an animal-cruelty case after the bodies of eight dogs were found in a remote part of the city near the Mississippi River.The dogs, all of a smaller variety, were found Sunday afternoon in the tree line along Grey Cloud Island Drive near Grey Cloud Island Trail. The dogs included a Schnauzer and other similar-sized white dogs, which could be a terrier breed, police said.Investigators believe the dogs “ranged from puppy age to adult and had been very recently left,” police said.The Animal Humane Society in Golden Valley is assisting with the police investigation.The dogs’ bodies were found along the road where the portable toilet is placed between a large culvert and bridge on Grey Cloud Island, police said.Anyone with information about the case — whether you know someone who is missing a dog that fits the description or have information about the crime or were in the area at the time and saw a vehicle stopped on the side...

Here’s how Minnesota United can still make MLS Cup Playoffs

Here’s how Minnesota United can still make MLS Cup Playoffs Minnesota United enters the regular-season finale on Saturday with a chance to make the MLS Cup Playoffs.After the Loons went winless in seven matches and fired manager Adrian Heath on Oct. 5, MNUFC beat L.A. Galaxy 5-2 on Oct. 7 to set up a chance to play in the playoffs for a fifth straight season.Interim head coach Sean McAuley was pleased with how the players responded after a 5-1 loss to Los Angeles FC on Oct. 4 and the coaching change, with a 5-2 win over L.A. Galaxy only three days later.“I thought it was good,” McAuley said last week. “With all the stuff that went around with the changes. You’ve got to remember a few days (before), they got it handed to them against LAFC. That is a big thing to get over as well. I thought they were excellent. They did really well and credit to them because they had the confidence to play, which is the biggest thing.”Here’s what needs to happen for the Loons to advance to the nine-team Western Conference field:— The 11th-place Loons must beat...

Powerball ticket worth $50K sold in Lake George

Powerball ticket worth $50K sold in Lake George LAKE GEORGE, N.Y. (NEWS10) -- A third-prize-winning Powerball ticket was sold in Lake George. According to the New York Lottery, the ticket was for the October 14 Powerball drawing. Get the latest news, weather, sports and entertainment delivered right to your inbox! The ticket is worth $50,000. It was sold at Stewart's Shops at 1433 Route 9 in Lake George. To win, the player matched four of the numbers and the Powerball. The winning numbers for the October 14 drawing were 14, 16, 42, 48, and 64, and the Powerball was 14.The winning numbers for the Powerball game are drawn from a field of one to 69. The Powerball is drawn from a separate field of one to 26. Green Island Police investigating shots fired New York scratch-off games contributed $3.7 billion to help support education in New York State during the 2022-2023 fiscal year. If you are struggling with a gambling addiction, or who know someone who is, you can find help by calling the HOPEline at 1-877-8-HOPENY or by texting...

Four injured after Pittsfield police cruiser crashes into Jeep

Four injured after Pittsfield police cruiser crashes into Jeep PITTSFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) -- The Pittsfield Police Department is investigating a crash involving one of their cruisers on October 15. According to police, two officers were called to a disturbance off Cheshire Road around 4:20 p.m. on Sunday. Get the latest news, weather, sports and entertainment delivered right to your inbox! While the officers were on their way there, they passed through the Coltsville intersection and hit another car with a 57-year-old woman and her two grandchildren inside. The crash made their 2023 Jeep Wrangler spin and roll onto the driver's side. Everyone involved in the crash, including the officer, was taken to the hospital for their injuries and is expected to be okay. Part of that intersection was closed for an hour for the vehicle to be removed from the road and to clear debris.

Cardinals publications supervisor shares how to join season calendar fundraiser

Cardinals publications supervisor shares how to join season calendar fundraiser ST. LOUIS - If you're missing a Red October, maybe this will get you ready for the return of Cardinals baseball.It's a great way to raise money for your school, youth group, or organization. Three metros on the verge of passing St. Louis in size To raise some money, Clarke Taylor, the Cardinals publications supervisor, spoke with FOX 2's Margie Ellisor about how you can be a part of selling the 2024 calendar. For more information, click here.

Coffee shop hosts banned book display

Coffee shop hosts banned book display ST. LOUIS - A midtown coffee shop gave book lovers a chance to read books that have been banned in the state of Missouri.'Blueprint Coffee' teamed with 'Left Bank Books Foundation' at the high low building on Washington Avenue. They gave readers a few hours to browse the banned books. The 'American Library Association' says 273 books have been banned for any number of issues relating to race, gender, or sexuality.It ranks Missouri third in the nation for the number of banned books. Shots fired at Kirkwood school’s trunk-or-treat event Left Bank Books General Manager Daniell King says, "What's ironic is that, generally speaking, a book getting banned does make more people interested in it because they're curious about why, and so our goal is to make sure we have as many of those to provide for folks as possible, or order them. We believe very much in the freedom to read."Also at the event, visitors could write postcards to their legislatures to let them know what they thought of ba...

Four minority-owned marijuana manufacturers join forces under one roof

Four minority-owned marijuana manufacturers join forces under one roof Finding a physical location to open a cannabis business in Denver is challenging. Ask local Sarah Woodson and she’ll tell you it’s among the biggest barriers to entry for new entrepreneurs.Woodson would know. In addition to opening Denver’s first legal marijuana tour bus company, The Cannabis Experience, she’s the founder of The Color of Cannabis, an organization that advocates for BIPOC representation in the industry. One of the pillars of her work is a 10-week course that supports social equity business applicants — people of color and other marginalized groups that were disproportionately harmed by the war on drugs — and helps them bring their ideas to life.Last year, while scouting potential brick-and-mortar locations with one of her class graduates, Woodson found a creative solution to one of the challenges facing cannabis entrepreneurs: A 10,000-square-foot warehouse in Montbello where multiple product manufacturers could share the space and, importantly, the rent....

October heat wave blasts Southland

October heat wave blasts Southland Halloween is only a couple weeks away, but it's still spookily hot in Southern California.Highs in the 80s are predicted for the beginning of this week in downtown Los Angeles, eventually rising to 88 degrees on Thursday before finally cooling off on Saturday, according to the National Weather Service. Southern California weather The San Fernando Valley will be even warmer, which highs in the mid 90s expected most days. The Inland Empire is predicted to be similarly hot, though in coastal areas like Santa Monica, daily highs will likely barely break 80 degrees this week.Once temperatures fall on Saturday, Southern California residents can expect a nice weekend. Daily highs in the lower 80s on Saturday will give way to the upper 60s and low 70s for the next week or so.

Man found in driveway of his Duarte home with fatal gunshot wound

Man found in driveway of his Duarte home with fatal gunshot wound A man was pronounced dead after being found with a gunshot wound in the driveway of his Duarte home Monday morning.The shooting in the 1000 block of Kellwil Way was reported around 1:45 a.m., according to a Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department news release.Authorities investigate a fatal shooting in Duarte on Oct. 16, 2023. (KTLA)Someone inside the home called authorities, reporting hearing several shots fired. Arriving deputies found the unresponsive victim with a gunshot wound down in his driveway. The unidentified man, believed to be between 30 and 35 years old, was pronounced dead at the scene, Detective Gomez said. Woman shoots man trying to get into her Hollywood Hills home The shooter apparently fled in a vehicle but investigators did not have a description of the suspect or the vehicle. No weapon was found at the scene and a motive for the shooting was unclear.

John McCutcheon Loves Live Seeger

John McCutcheon Loves Live Seeger Pete SeegerWe Shall Overcome (Columbia)John McCutcheon Loves Live Seeger: Folk artist John McCutcheon told us about his love for a classic Pete Seeger live album.John McCutcheon: I remember that Christmas in 1965  when my parents giddily announced that we were going to get “the best Christmas present ever” in July, a brand-new baby.  Number nine.  I was number one, just turned thirteen and apparently the only one of my siblings that had been subjected to The Talk.  I knew how this all had happened and it wasn’t remotely exciting to me.  It was equal parts disgusting and unimaginable.  My mother?  No way.  My dad?  Sure, but with my mother?(Columbia)Being the eldest, I was left in charge of the seven younger ones while Dad drove Mom off to the hospital on the first day of July the following summer.  I had watched just enough westerns to know that women regularly died in childbirth, so I waited for the dreaded phone call.  When it finally came and I learned that mother and newborn wer...