The unseen sexuality of seniors: ‘It’s not over until it’s over’

Published Thu, 28 Mar 2024 08:36:40 GMT

The unseen sexuality of seniors: ‘It’s not over until it’s over’ Now that the nation has met Gerry Turner, the septuagenarian stud and star of ABC’s The Golden Bachelor, the idea of older Americans hooking up is percolating in everyday discourse.You might not like thinking of grandma going out on the town, but some flames blaze on, constant as a pilot light.“Seeing older people on TV demonstrating interest in others, along with sexual desire, shows that we don’t change much as we age,” said Ilene Warner-Maron, a professor in the department of Geriatrics and Palliative Medicine at the Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine.“If you want to ride a bike and you still can, who says you’re too old? In life, there’s no such thing as a dirty old man or woman.”When younger people think of older people having sex, they often picture their parents, a difficult scenario to contemplate, Warner-Maron acknowledged.She added, “A person said to me, ‘Older people having sex is disgusting.’“I asked him, ‘At what age would you stop having sex?’‘Oh, never,’ he ...

Bridge: Oct. 15, 2023

Bridge: Oct. 15, 2023 Since the advent of contract bridge 98 years ago, various methods of hand evaluation have appeared. The 4-3-2-1 high-card count, put forth in 1915 in the days of auction bridge, was popularized by Charles Goren. It may not be the most accurate method, but it has the virtue of simplicity and has not been displaced.Good valuation will consider many factors: long suits and their quality, short suits, singleton honors, honors in combination and the presence of intermediate spot cards. Moreover, the “positional value” of an honor can change as the bidding unfolds.In today’s deal, North opened one club; his hand was too strong for 1NT with 18 good points and a pair of tens. When South bid one heart, North’s hand was not quite worth a raise to game — until West bid diamonds. Then North upgraded: His king of diamonds was a sure winner.No matter how accurate your bidding, you must still play the cards with care. Against four hearts, West leads the queen of diamo...

Word Game: Oct. 15, 2023

Word Game: Oct. 15, 2023 TODAY’S WORD — STRIDENT (STRIDENT: STRY-dent: Commanding attention in a loud or obtrusive voice.)Average mark 50 wordsTime limit 60 minutesCan you find 66 or more words in STRIDENT?TODAY’S WORD — STRIDENT send sent side sine sire siren site sitter snide snit stein stent stern stet stint stir stride tend tent tern test tide tied tier tinder tine tint tire titer trend trident tried tries trine trite rein rend rent resin rest ride rind rinse rise risen rite ides inert insert inset inter deist dent dentist diet dine diner dint dire dirt dries driest edit nerd nest niterTo purchase the Word Game book, visit WordGameBooks.com. Order it now for just $5 while supplies last!RULES OF THE GAME:1. Words must be of four or more letters.2. Words that acquire four letters by the addition of “s,” such as “bats” or “dies,” are not allowed.3. Additional words made by adding a “d” or an “s” may not be used. For example, if “bake” is used, “baked” or “bakes” are not allowed, but...

Horoscopes Oct. 15, 2023: Dominic West, take the high road

Horoscopes Oct. 15, 2023: Dominic West, take the high road CELEBRITIES BORN ON THIS DAY: Dominic West, 54; Vanessa Marcil, 55; Emeril Lagasse, 64; Sarah Ferguson, 64.Happy Birthday: Emotions will surface due to situations you have left unfinished. You can ignore what needs to be done or embrace a new era and clear the way for what you want to achieve. Procrastination is the enemy, but your intellect is your saving grace. Take the high road and set your sights on the mission that will help you pursue the happiness you deserve. Your numbers are 5, 18, 21, 29, 32, 41, 46.ARIES (March 21-April 19): Question everything before making a move. Having things in order will put your mind at ease, allowing you more time to use your imagination to tweak your ideas and turn them into things that have your signature embedded in the outcome. Be true to yourself. 3 starsTAURUS (April 20-May 20): You’ll gain momentum and the assistance you require to reach your full potential. You’ll thrive on change that sparks your imagination and encourages yo...

Ask Amy: If I were a mouse, I’d be applauding my husband. I am not a mouse.

Ask Amy: If I were a mouse, I’d be applauding my husband. I am not a mouse. Dear Amy: I have a wonderful marriage of several decades with “Lance.”Related ArticlesAdvice | Ask Amy: She has some nerve to invite me to the gender reveal Advice | Ask Amy: Grandma’s diary told a scandalous story. Should I track down the family? Advice | Ask Amy: I just found out that a famous entertainer is my brother. Should I reach out? Advice | Ask Amy: I know my friend took a photo without my permission, but she won’t hand it over Advice | Ask Amy: Am I wrong to display photos where he is she? In many ways, Lance holds up his end of the roommate bargain that comes with long-term partnership. He cooks half the time, helps me in the garden (even though it’s my interest and not his), does his own laundry, etc.All that said, he’s a terrible slob in the kitchen, and in ways that cause problems.He chops fruit for his breakfast and leaves the peels and rinds on the juice-soa...

Angel Yin wins LPGA Shanghai tournament for maiden tour title

Angel Yin wins LPGA Shanghai tournament for maiden tour title SHANGHAI (AP) — American Solheim Cup player Angel Yin defeated top-ranked Lilia Vu on the first playoff hole to win the LPGA Shanghai tournament on Sunday for her first tour win.Both Yin and Vu finished at 14-under 274 on the Qizhong Garden Golf Club course forcing a playoff, where Yin made a birdie at the par-4 18th after Vu had narrowly missed her 20-foot birdie putt.It was 25-year-old Yin’s first victory in her 159th start and she shared a warm embrace with compatriot Vu on her breakthrough win. Yin was tied with Maja Stark for the overnight lead at 12 under and on Sunday shot a 70, with three birdies and a lone bogey on the 6th. Vu shot a 4-under 68, with six birdies and two bogeys, and was the clubhouse leader at 14-under, until Yin birdied the par-5 17th and then made par on the final hole to force a playoff.Five players finished in a tie for third at 13 under: South Korea’s Choi Hye-jin who shot a 64, Thai pair Pavarisa Yoktuan (70) and Ariya Jutanugarn (69), Yu L...

IOC warns countries that block athletes for political reasons risk harming Olympic host bids

IOC warns countries that block athletes for political reasons risk harming Olympic host bids Countries that exclude athletes from competing for political reasons risk harming their plans to host an Olympic Games, the IOC said Sunday.The “growing politicization of sport” was flagged as a problem by International Olympic Committee member Kolinda Grabar-Kitarović, the former president of Croatia, in an update to global sports leaders about countries who want to host the games in future.Though she did not identify problematic countries, Poland and Indonesia have expressed interest in hosting the 2036 Olympics. It is the next Summer Games available to be awarded.Poland refused to let Russian athletes compete in the European Games this year and Indonesia was stripped by soccer governing body FIFA of hosting the men’s Under-20 World Cup in May because the Muslim-majority nation did not want to stage Israel games.“We have witnessed more and more government restrictions being placed on athletes’ access to international sporting competitions,” Grabar-Kitarović said in Mumbai at the I...

Así fue el conmovedor monólogo de Pete Davidson en ‘SNL’ sobre Israel y Gaza

Así fue el conmovedor monólogo de Pete Davidson en ‘SNL’ sobre Israel y Gaza (CNN) — El presentador de “Saturday Night Live”, Pete Davidson, abordó “las horribles imágenes e historias de Israel y Gaza” en comentarios profundamente personales durante los primeros minutos del nuevo episodio del programa de sketches de larga data.Los emotivos comentarios de Davidson se centraron particularmente en los niños que han sufrido como resultado del conflicto.Davidson habló sobre su conexión personal para afrontar la tragedia y el terrorismo después de que su padre, Scott Davidson, un bombero de la ciudad de Nueva York, muriera en los ataques del 11 de septiembre.“Saturday Night Live” se despide de Kate McKinnon y Pete Davidson (2022)Lea su declaración completa a continuación.“Esta semana vimos imágenes e historias horribles de Israel y Gaza. Y sé lo que estás pensando, ¿quién mejor para comentarlo que Pete Davidson? (risa)“Bueno, en muchos sentidos soy una buena persona para hablar de ello porque cuando tenía siete años, mi padre murió en...

Pegula beats Yuan to claim Korea Open title

Pegula beats Yuan to claim Korea Open title SEOUL (AP) — Jessica Pegula beat Yuan Yue 6-2, 6-3 in the final of the Korea Open on Sunday for the fourth title of her career. The top-seeded Pegula dropped only one set through the tournament and becomes the first American since Venus Williams in 2007 to win the title in Seoul. “My mom is Korean and she was adopted from here so it’s really special to be able to win here,” Pegula said. “In the last few years, as my ranking has gone up, I’ve definitely felt so much more support from the fans, a lot more than I expected coming back here from five years ago. So it’s really special.”Playing in her first career final, 128th-ranked Yuan showed no signs of nerves and earned a break point in Pegula’s opening service game, which the American saved with a forehand winner. The world No. 4-ranked player then won eight consecutive games to take the first set and build a 3-0 lead in the second as a quick victory looked likely. Yuan then rallied to get back to 3-4 but Pegula’s power from th...

Israel responde con fuego a tiroteos desde el Líbano que dejaron un muerto y tres heridos

Israel responde con fuego a tiroteos desde el Líbano que dejaron un muerto y tres heridos ISRAEL – Al menos una persona ha muerto y tres resultaron heridos en una ataque con misiles antitanques contra la población israelí de Shtula, en la frontera con Líbano, que está siendo respondido por el Ejército israelí, informaron fuentes oficiales.“Tras los informes iniciales sobre un tiroteo hacia la comunidad de Shtula, las Fuerzas de Defensa de Israel se encuentran actualmente atacando el origen del fuego en el Líbano”, indicó un portavoz del Ejército israelí, al precisar que algunos de los disparos se dirigieron hacia un puesto militar. “Misiles estaban sobre nuestra cabeza”: adolescente de EEUU que estaba estudiando en Israel Israel y Hamas en guerra: más de 3,500 personas han muerto en ambos lados Los servicios de emergencia Maguen David Adom informaron de que sus paramédicos fueron desplegados a la zona, en la Alta Galilea, y que “declararon la muerte de un hombre de 40 años y evacúan al Centro Mé...