Toddler died in hot car parked outside South Carolina high school, coroner says

Published Thu, 28 Mar 2024 20:15:30 GMT

Toddler died in hot car parked outside South Carolina high school, coroner says CHARLESTON, S.C. (AP) — A toddler died inside a hot car on Friday after her mother forgot that she left the girl in the vehicle parked outside a South Carolina high school, according to a county coroner.Berkeley County Coroner Darnell Hartwell told The Post and Courier that he believes the 16-month-old girl died due to heat, although an autopsy will be performed. The temperature inside the car likely exceeded 100 degrees F (about 38 degrees C), the coroner said.The child’s mother works at Bishop England High School, in Charleston, and had parked her sport utility vehicle in front of the private school on Friday morning. A passerby found the child in a car seat roughly eight hours later and called 911, according to the coroner.Hartwell said the child could have survived only minutes inside the car.“I definitely feel confident that it was triple digits within that car at peak time of today,” he said.Bishop England canceled its Friday night football game and classes on Monday.“We...

Pittsburgh Steelers connect with Gaelic games to grow fan base in Ireland

Pittsburgh Steelers connect with Gaelic games to grow fan base in Ireland DUBLIN (AP) — The Irish economy is getting a boost from the Notre Dame football game in Dublin. The Pittsburgh Steelers are benefitting, too.The NFL team has front-office representation in Dublin this weekend supporting American football initiatives and gathering intel on the Irish market now that it has marketing rights for Ireland and Northern Ireland as part of the NFL’s push to expand its audience internationally.The team has joined forces with the powerful Gaelic Athletic Association with an eye toward a regular-season game at Croke Park in the future, though no promises have been made.Daniel Rooney, the team’s director of business development and strategy, visited an amateur American football game featuring an Irish team during a visit to Donnybrook Stadium on Friday night. He did a coin toss and crowned a kicking champion.“First and foremost it’s about bringing American football to Ireland, north and south, bringing the game we love to a sports-hungry country that we think it...

Canada’s Bianca Andreescu withdraws from U.S. Open due to injury

Canada’s Bianca Andreescu withdraws from U.S. Open due to injury Canadian Bianca Andreescu has withdrawn from the U.S. Open and will be replaced by a qualifier/lucky loser.The former U.S. Open champion pulled out of the Cincinnati Open with a stress fracture in her back.Bianca Andreescu has withdrawn from the #USOpen She will be replaced by a qualifier/lucky loser.— US Open Tennis (@usopen) August 26, 2023“During my match in Washington I started experiencing pain in my back that kept getting worse and I did everything I could the other night in Montreal to play at my highest level,” wrote Andreescu in a post shared on social media back on Aug. 12. “All of this led me to undergo medical examinations and sadly the results have revealed a small stress fracture in my back. This unfortunately means that I won’t be able to compete in Cincinnati.”The 23-year-old was ousted in the first round of the National Bank Open with a 6-3, 6-2 loss to Camila Giorgi. Post-match, Andreescu said she was dealing with joint pains in her back that kept her from pe...

Receiving death threats not regular part of Quebec elementary teacher’s job: tribunal

Receiving death threats not regular part of Quebec elementary teacher’s job: tribunal LÉVIS, Que. — A Quebec labour tribunal has found an elementary teacher suffered a workplace injury after a student brought knives to school and told classmates he planned to kill her. The teacher, identified only as K.R. in the ruling, says the November 2019 incident and the boy’s continued presence in her class led to an anxiety disorder.  According to the tribunal ruling, a school daycare worker found four butter knives in a seven-year-old’s backpack after other students told her that boy planned to kill his teacher.While students told the teacher about the incident, her colleagues didn’t say anything until after the boy had spent the morning in her class.Quebec’s labour board initially sided with her employer, a school service centre near Quebec City, and dismissed her workplace injury claim. But the tribunal overturned the decision, in part because receiving death threats is not one of the expected duties of a second-grade teacher. This report by The Cana...

2 women shot at Chicago White Sox game at Guaranteed Rate Field

2 women shot at Chicago White Sox game at Guaranteed Rate Field CHICAGO — Two women who were at a White Sox game at Guaranteed Rate Field Friday night were injured by gunfire, according to police.Police said a 42-year-old woman suffered gunshot wound to the leg and transported to University of Chicago Medical Center and is currently in fair condition. Another 26-year-old woman suffered a graze wound to the abdomen and refused medical attention. The Chicago Police Department said the incident occurred around 7:25 p.m. The department did not share information on the incident until 9:55 p.m. Police said the incident did not seem to be an active threat. The post-game concert was cancelled with fans being told it was due to technical difficulties.White Sox security said the incident did not involve an altercation of any kind.It is still unclear what led to the shooting, if a gun got inside the stadium or if shots were fired inside the stadium.White Sox shared video footage of where the women were injured. The women who were injured are on the left si...

1 dead after crash involving semi-truck in Elk Grove Village

1 dead after crash involving semi-truck in Elk Grove Village ELK GROVE VILLAGE, Ill. — A man is dead after a crash involving a semi-truck Friday evening in Elk Grove Village, according to police.The crash happened just before 6 p.m. near Devon Avenue and Nicholas Boulevard. 2 women shot at Chicago White Sox game at Guaranteed Rate Field Ricardo Gonzalez Jr., 25, who was driving the pick-up truck involved in the crash, died, according to the Cook County Medical Examiner's Office.The crash is still under investigation by Elk Grove Village police and the Major Case Assistance Team.

Weekend Gardening with Tim Joyce: Girdling roots

Weekend Gardening with Tim Joyce: Girdling roots Check out Weekend Gardening with Tm Joyce where WGN's 'Plant Daddy' tackles plant tips like girdling roots and more.Love the WGN Morning News? We love you, too. And you can have all the hijinks delivered to your inbox every weekday morning. Sign up and subscribe to our WGN Morning News newsletter.

Off-duty Kyle police officer shot at a San Marcos apartment complex

Off-duty Kyle police officer shot at a San Marcos apartment complex SAN MARCOS, Texas (KXAN) – An off-duty Kyle Police Department officer was shot at a San Marcos apartment complex early Saturday morning, according to the San Marcos Police Department. Just after midnight Saturday morning, San Marcos police were dispatched to the Encino Pointe Apartments at 1800 Post Road in response to a shooting. 911 calls referenced multiple gunshots at a unit in the building, according to SMPD. Kyle police said the officer lives and serves as the resident courtesy officer at the apartment complex. The officer told police that he heard gunshots or fireworks and approached a male and a female outside of an apartment unit, while wearing his police badge, to investigate the noises. The male pulled out a gun, pointed it toward the officer and fired two shots with one striking the officer, per SMPD. The officer was transported to Ascension Seton Hays Hospital in Kyle and is expected to recover, according to police. The officer involved in the shooting returned fire dur...

Roads closed after fatal crash on 183A Toll frontage road in Leander

Roads closed after fatal crash on 183A Toll frontage road in Leander LEANDER, Texas (KXAN) — The Leander Police Department is responding to a fatal crash Saturday on 183A Toll Road at Hero Way. LPD said the eastbound and westbound lanes of Hero Way are closed as well as southbound 183A Toll frontage road lanes. Police said these roads are expected to be closed "for a significant amount of time."Drivers are asked to avoid the area and seek alternate routes.This is a developing story, and this article will be updated as information is received.

Popular game show host Bob Barker has died, publicist says

Popular game show host Bob Barker has died, publicist says A publicist says popular game show host Bob Barker, a household name for a half-century as host of “Truth or Consequences” and “The Price Is Right,” has died at his home in Los Angeles. Barker was 99.Barker — also a longtime animal rights activist — died Saturday morning, according to publicist Roger Neal.“I am so proud of the trailblazing work Barker and I did together to expose the cruelty to animals in the entertainment industry and including working to improve the plight of abused and exploited animals in the United States and internationally,” said Nancy Burnet, his longtime friend and caretaker, in a statement.Barker retired in June 2007, telling his studio audience: “I thank you, thank you, thank you for inviting me into your home for more than 50 years.”Barker was working in radio in 1956 when producer Ralph Edwards invited him to audition as the new host of “Truth or Consequences,” a game show in which audience members had to do wacky stunts — the “consequence” — if they fa...