MLB notes: With expanded playoffs, more teams have reason to buy at trade deadline

Published Thu, 28 Mar 2024 21:43:20 GMT

MLB notes: With expanded playoffs, more teams have reason to buy at trade deadline Not long ago there was a clear line between the contenders and the pretenders. If you weren’t leading your division or among the five or six best teams in your league, chances are you were better off looking ahead to next year.Now, things aren’t quite so simple.Entering Saturday, 11 out of 15 American League teams were over .500 and 10 were either in playoff position or within four games of a spot. A similar dynamic is at play in the National League, with nine teams at or above .500 and eight within a game of a postseason berth.That kind of situation would have been exceedingly unlikely if not mathematically impossible in years past, but thanks to the expanded postseason field, a fully balanced schedule and the historic ineptitude of the Oakland Athletics and Kansas City Royals, we now live in a world where nearly the entire league can realistically say it has a chance to make the playoffs.And as we’ve seen so many times before, if you make it to October, you can w...

A large explosion at a fireworks warehouse in Thailand kills at least 10 people and wounds dozens

A large explosion at a fireworks warehouse in Thailand kills at least 10 people and wounds dozens BANGKOK (AP) — A large explosion at a fireworks warehouse in southern Thailand on Saturday killed at least ten people and wounded dozens, officials said.The Narathiwat province’s Public Relations Department also said that at least 118 people were hurt, and that residents of more than 200 households were affected. It said that officials believe there are still a number of people trapped under the debris waiting to be rescued.Videos posted on social media from the site show a huge plume of smoke over the area and many damaged structures, cars and motorbikes, as well as streets covered with debris. Many of the houses and other buildings have collapsed roofs and walls.The local public relations agency reported that the explosion caused damages in a radius of about 500 meters (1,640 feet). About 100 residences in the area were damaged, according to the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation.Sanan Pongaksorn, the provincial governor, told public broadcaster Thai PBS that t...

9 die, including 3 children, as strong winds hit tourist camp in central Russia, officials say

9 die, including 3 children, as strong winds hit tourist camp in central Russia, officials say MOSCOW (AP) — At least nine people — including three children — have died after high winds tore through central Russia, emergency services and a local official reported Sunday. Eight of the dead were part of a group of tourists camping close to Lake Yalchik in the Mari-El region when the storm hit Saturday, Russia’s emergencies ministry said.The strong winds caused a large number of trees to fall in the area, including where the group’s tents had been pitched on a stretch of wild beach, regional leader Yuri Zaitsev wrote on social media. He said that three children were among the dead.Across the wider Volga Federal District, 76 people were injured in the storm, with thousands of households losing power, emergency services said.The Associated Press

Saquon Barkley holds meet-and-greet at DICK's House of Sport

Saquon Barkley holds meet-and-greet at DICK's House of Sport LATHAM, N.Y. (NEWS10) -- New York Giants star running back Saquon Barkley made a stop in the Capital Region Saturday night. The two-time Pro Bowler held a meet-and-greet as part of the grand opening weekend at Dick's House of Sport in Latham.Barkley showed Giants Nation much love - signing autographs and taking pictures with a number of fans. He said it's all about paying it forward."This is what it's all about; giving back, entertaining and having fun with the fans," said Barkley. "These are the people who give their hard-earned money to come support us, buy my jersey and watch us play the game that I love. It's all about giving back, and having fun interactions with them."Barkley signed a one-year, $11 million contract with the Giants Tuesday. Now it's time to prove this season he's worth the long-term deal he's desiring."I look forward to expanding on what I was able to do last year, and (where) we got to at the end of last season. (I plan on) being more involved in the pass game...

Daily horoscope for July 30, 2023

Daily horoscope for July 30, 2023 Moon Alert: There are no restrictions to shopping or important decisions today. The Moon is in Capricorn.Happy Birthday for Sunday, July 30, 2023:You are passionate, sensual and robust. You love to explore your physical environment. You’re very focused about whatever you embrace. You have determination and star quality. This year you will receive kudos, acknowledgement, a promotion or success for your past efforts. It’s time for you to take a bow!ARIES(March 21-April 19) ★★★★This is a wonderful day, and you look great in the eyes of others. Don’t waste this advantage. Get out there and fly your colors! People see you as successful and affluent. (It’s all smoke and mirrors.) Authority figures are impressed with you. Tonight: You’re impressive. This Week: You can accomplish a lot.TAURUS(April 20-May 20) ★★★★This is a marvelous day to travel or explore new ideas. Your sense of adventure is strong, especially regarding the arts, sports or working with child...

Ask Amy: I’m disturbed by what her Facebook history reveals

Ask Amy: I’m disturbed by what her Facebook history reveals Dear Amy: My husband’s brother and his wife announced about a year ago that they had irreconcilable differences; they divorced after a long and loveless marriage.To be honest we have no idea why they stayed together as long as they did.About a month later, my brother-in-law introduced us to his new girlfriend.I was initially very happy that he had found someone new who really seemed to fit into the family dynamic better than his ex.Then his new girlfriend reached out on Facebook. I accepted her friend request and was trying to get to know her by looking at her past posts. That’s when I realized that she and my brother-in-law had been in a relationship for at least five years.I haven’t mentioned this to anyone else in the family except for my husband.I was raised with a strong belief in the sanctity of marriage, and I unfortunately find their infidelity and lack of shame about it to be disturbing.I try not to let this knowledge get in my way of being friendly with them, but it&...

Dear Abby: My friend makes silly excuses for why her husband won’t see me

Dear Abby: My friend makes silly excuses for why her husband won’t see me DEAR ABBY: About 10 years ago, I visited my oldest and dearest friend, whom I see a few times a year. Her husband, whom I’ve also known for years and who I thought was a friend, started teasing me. I can take a joke, but the teasing got mean. Eventually he stopped, and I continued my visit.Related ArticlesAdvice | Dear Abby: Would it be awkward to invite her to my wedding dinner? Advice | Dear Abby: I wasted five years on a man, and I want to start dating efficiently Advice | Ask Amy: My dad’s humiliating tell-all book could affect my job hunt Advice | Dear Abby: The insufferable neighbor is trying to claim my boyfriend Advice | Dear Abby: My fiance left me, and now I’m pregnant. That’s just the start of it. I was really angry at him. Because I didn’t want to involve my friend, I sent him an email. I told him I thought his teasing went too far and to please not do it again. ...

Pig cooling pads and weather forecasts for cows are high-tech ways to make meat in a warming world

Pig cooling pads and weather forecasts for cows are high-tech ways to make meat in a warming world CHICAGO (AP) — More than a third of the heat-trapping gases cooking the planet come from growing and raising farm animals, but millions of cattle, pigs and other animals get to stay cool in the United States and other parts of the developed world.Many American farmers have apps to forecast animal comfort in the heat. There are computer-controlled “ cooling pads ” for sows. Dairy farmers lower barns’ temperatures with misters, air conditioning and giant fans. Special pedometers, the cow version of a Fitbit, measure vital signs that give clues to animals’ health.More intense summer heat resulting from emissions-driven climate change means animal heat stress that can result in billions of dollars in lost revenue for farmers and ranchers if not properly managed. But technology often insulates livestock in richer countries — another way global warming exacerbates the gap between wealthy and poor nations. The U.S. is the world’s largest producer and consumer of beef by v...

Woman killed in Prince George’s Co. crash

Woman killed in Prince George’s Co. crash A woman is dead following a crash Friday morning in Prince George’s County, Maryland, authorities said.Maryland State Police said troopers got a call just after 9:30 a.m. about a crash involving two vehicles — a 2019 Ford Fusion and a 2017 Jeep Wrangler — in the area of Crain Highway and Rosaryville Road.An initial investigation revealed that the Ford had stopped at a traffic signal when the Jeep crashed into the rear driver’s side of the Ford.Police said 64-year-old Lisa Brown of Upper Marlboro, who drove the Ford, was taken to MedStar Southern Maryland Hospital where she was pronounced dead. Ashley Raley, 47, of Lothian, drove the Jeep and was injured in the crash. He was taken to MedStar Washington Hospital Center for treatment.Police said there weren’t any passengers in either vehicle during the crash.Roads closed for around four hours following the crash. Police said they’re investigating the cause of the crash and ask anyone with information to call the...

9 die, including 3 children, as strong winds hit tourist camp in central Russia, officials say

9 die, including 3 children, as strong winds hit tourist camp in central Russia,  officials say MOSCOW (AP) — At least nine people — including three children — have died after high winds tore through central Russia, emergency services and a local official reported Sunday. Eight of the dead were part of a group of tourists camping close to Lake Yalchik in the Mari-El region when the storm hit Saturday, Russia’s emergencies ministry said.The strong winds caused a large number of trees to fall in the area, including where the group’s tents had been pitched on a stretch of wild beach, regional leader Yuri Zaitsev wrote on social media. He said that three children were among the dead.Across the wider Volga Federal District, 76 people were injured in the storm, with thousands of households losing power, emergency services said.Source