Colorado Mammoth back in National Lacrosse League Finals to defend title after roller-coaster regular season

Published Thu, 28 Mar 2024 13:04:30 GMT

Colorado Mammoth back in National Lacrosse League Finals to defend title after roller-coaster regular season In the Colorado Mammoth’s first game of the season, they were blasted by the Saskatchewan Rush, 18-6, and didn’t look anything like the team that won the National Lacrosse League Cup a year ago.The up-and-down play continued throughout an injury-affected regular season, as the Mammoth finished 9-9 and fourth in their division.But Colorado’s made all those struggles look like a red herring in the playoffs as the Mammoth dispatched of the San Diego Seals and the Calgary Roughnecks to set up an NLL Finals rematch with the Buffalo Bandits.“I think we had a bit of a championship hangover going into the season, where it was such a long and grueling season to win the title, and maybe we thought it was going to be easy this year,” Mammoth coach Pat Coyle said. “It didn’t seem like we had the same intensity that we ended the season with the year before.“That being said, the experience from last year served us well when we didn’t play well...

What you should know about the Denver airport’s long security lines as summer travel heats up

What you should know about the Denver airport’s long security lines as summer travel heats up Stress-inducing security waits long have been Denver International Airport’s most notorious feature, and they’re getting worse as the summer travel season begins.DIA forecasts that more than 400,000 passengers will pass through its three security checkpoints over the Memorial Day holiday weekend, from Thursday through Tuesday. Some days will see 70,000 people screened, the airport says.Anyone who’s been through lately knows the lines have been growing at the busiest times in recent weeks.“I am still completely dumbfounded at how bad it was,” Minnesota resident Jill Burcum wrote in a recent letter to the editor published by The Denver Post about her experience flying out of DIA on a Friday two weeks ago. She had trouble finding the end of the snaking line and said she couldn’t find someone to direct her.Aubrey Roth, the airport’s terminal operations manager, acknowledged that her team and the Transportation Security Administration were caught...

Lawsuit: Colorado Amazon drivers allege peeing in bottles, defecating in bags to meet delivery goals

Lawsuit: Colorado Amazon drivers allege peeing in bottles, defecating in bags to meet delivery goals Three Amazon delivery drivers in Colorado are suing the tech giant over poor work conditions, including allegations of urinating in bottles and defecating in bags.In a lawsuit filed Monday in Denver District Court, drivers Leah Cross, Marco Granger-Rivera and Ryan Schilling said the pressure of “harsh work quotas” around their delivery goals kept them from using restrooms on the job.“Drivers urinate in plastic bottles and even defecate in dog waste bags in the back of their delivery vans to ensure that they do not face discipline for failing to stay on pace with their deliveries,” the lawsuit stated.The lawsuit alleged violations of the drivers’ rights, including defying Colorado’s mandate for employers to provide workers with paid rest breaks every four hours and discriminating against people with female anatomy who cannot properly urinate without bathroom access.But Amazon contested the allegations.“We want to make it clear that we encoura...

Avanti alums plant permanent roots with new Denver restaurant

Avanti alums plant permanent roots with new Denver restaurant Nicholas Kayser and Scott Ericson already live and play in the Highland neighborhood, so they thought, “Why not add work to that list?”The duo, who own Rooted in Avanti F&B Boulder (and the former Del Mar in Avanti Denver), have decided to finally plant some permanent roots. On May 19, they opened Rooted Craft Kitchen at 3940 W. 32nd Ave., where Denver restaurateur Troy Guard’s FNG previously operated.“We wanted to fill a niche in the neighborhood, and 32nd Avenue has a ton of incredible culinary options, but they’re all quite esoteric and ethnically diverse, and there’s no American outlet,” Kayser said. “This is our passion project, this is our baby and this is where we want to be for the next 15 years.”Guard’s TAG Restaurant Group closed FNG, a neighborhood bistro, last fall after five years when he said he couldn’t find the right management team to help the restaurant bounce back after COVID. Kayser previously worked for Guard at the now-closed Zengo in Rive...

Here’s how park rangers are trying to prevent another record year for drowning deaths

Here’s how park rangers are trying to prevent another record year for drowning deaths Cruising Chatfield Reservoir in a Colorado Parks and Wildlife patrol boat last Saturday didn’t involve dramatic enforcement incidents for CPW officers Grant Brown and Tyler Hall. The air was cool and hazy with wildfire smoke, so there weren’t as many boats out as there would be on a busy summer day. The water temperature was 61 degrees, so there weren’t many jet skiers. There were no accidents, no boating under the influence arrests.But there was a young man in a 50-year-old 10-foot aluminum boat that leaked. He had bought the boat six days earlier for $300 from a guy who sold it to him through Facebook. His first voyage wound up costing him another $100 for a citation because he didn’t have a life vest on the vessel — something that the state requires.It may seem like a small matter. But for Brown, CPW’s boating safety manager, and Hall, a Chatfield State Park ranger, it wasn’t.Last year Colorado saw a record 40 recreation-related drownings...

James Madison University Studies CBD Oil For Menstrual Cramps

James Madison University Studies CBD Oil For Menstrual Cramps CBD shows great promise for various chronic pain issues, but the research into specific conditions remains relatively low. For instance, women often claim CBD oil helps with menstruation-related pain. However, there’s not much scientific evidence that CBD effectively treats menstrual cramps.Recently, researchers at James Madison University teamed up with the company Canopy Growth to better understand how CBD affects women with this common painful condition. According to the latest reports, CBD may have many all-natural benefits for female patients.Does CBD Oil Really Help With Menstruation Pain?Scientists at James Madison University and Canopy Growth recently revealed data from a six-month study examining CBD for menstrual cramps. In this trial, 40 female patients with medically-diagnosed menstrual pain were given one of two CBD supplements.The first group received hemp extracts with 160 mg of CBD per serving while the other group took 320 mg of CBD. Doctors told each particip...

Goner to Miami

Goner to Miami Goner to Miami: Evan Miller of L.A. hip-hop/pop project Goner told us about his Ultra Music Fest experience.Evan Miller: The best gig i’ve ever witnessed has to be Ultra Music Festival in Miami 2018. I was a photographer at the time, before even starting music myself & capturing the wide variety of artists at that festival definitely lit a fire in me. The way you could find every “vibe” based by stage, and the radiating joy of everyone enjoying music together. Seeing artists such as Marshmello, the Chainsmokers and even speaking with G-Eazy inspired me to start making my own music, because I could then see what it truly meant for everyone around.I think it’s beautiful to see thousands of people happy & feeling the energy of their favorite artists all together under one roof or venue. With Ultra being located in Miami for this specific event, the backdrop of Miami and the ocean made it all the better. I will always be grateful that I got to experience it & I’ve never had ...

San Francisco clean-energy startup aims for hydrogen breakthrough for trucking

San Francisco clean-energy startup aims for hydrogen breakthrough for trucking California has long been in the vanguard of pursuing renewable energy, and Gov. Gavin Newsom has budgeted billions of dollars for supporting and accelerating the state’s transition toward clean energy.San Francisco company Verne is looking to tap into that with technology that will help move heavy duty transportation away from polluting diesel and gasoline power. We spoke with co-founder Ted McKlveen about what they’re up to.Q: How did you and co-founders Bav Roy and David Jaramillo come together to found Verne?A: I met David in college and Bav in business school. We are all passionate about addressing climate change, and excited about the potential to reduce emissions in transportation with hydrogen. We make a great team, bringing complementary skills. David received his PhD from UC-Berkeley and leads our tech innovation, Bav has an engineering background and an MBA and leads operations, and I previously had a strategy role at a renewable energy start-up and lead our sa...

What 49ers QB Trey Lance has in common with Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Russell Wilson and Dak Prescott

What 49ers QB Trey Lance has in common with Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Russell Wilson and Dak Prescott SANTA CLARA — Not only is this the first season Trey Lance feels fully healthy from a physical standpoint, but the 23-year-old has made significant strides with his mental health, too.Speaking at OTAs on Tuesday, the 49ers third-year quarterback revealed he’s been working with a mental health professional to keep his mind right. Asked if the person was a sports psychologist, Lance said, “Something like that. It wasn’t provided by the team, but someone that someone knew for the team. But it wasn’t unique to me, like, ‘You need to go meet with somebody, you’re sad.’ I’m pretty positive. But it’s helped me a lot and I’m thankful to be here.”Lance said meeting with a professional has kept him present, especially amidst an offseason in which he was recovering from ankle surgery and refining his throwing mechanics after a previous injury to his index finger created some bad habits. Now he faces an unknown role while the 49ers prepare to enter the season with three potent...

Bay Area News Group boys athlete of the week: Jake Sangalang, Prospect baseball

Bay Area News Group boys athlete of the week: Jake Sangalang, Prospect baseball NEW: PREP SPORTS MAILBAGThe Bay Area News Group is introducing a high school sports mailbag in May. Get your questions in as soon as possible. Our debut edition is an open forum. Got questions about spring sports playoffs, coaching changes, an early peek at football season, etc.? Send questions to [email protected]. Please include “mailbag” in the subject line.Prospect baseball player Jake Sangalang is the Bay Area News Group’s high school boys athlete of the week for May 15-20 after he received 40.62% of the vote at the 5 p.m. deadline Wednesday.Carlmont volleyball player Sean Murphy (38.78%) placed second and Live Oak baseball player Ethan Lopez was third.Congratulations to all the candidates for this week’s recognition.Sangalang, a junior, pitched a five-inning one-hitter with seven strikeouts as Prospect cruised into the semifinals of the CCS Division VI playoffs with a 10-0 rout of Greenfield.To nominate an athlete for next week’s poll, email highschools@ba...