'I don't want to be homeless': Texas rent relief gets +10K applications in just hours

Published Thu, 28 Mar 2024 18:26:12 GMT

'I don't want to be homeless': Texas rent relief gets +10K applications in just hours AUSTIN (KXAN) — The Texas Department of Housing and Community Affairs (TDHCA) reopened the Texas Rent Relief (TRR) application portal from March 14-28. The program offers rental and utility assistance with COVID-19 federal emergency rental funds. According to the state agency, as of 11:30am Tuesday, they received more than 10,000 applications. Texas rent relief program applications now open It caused some delayed load times on the website for applicants like Eva Cortez."I clicked on it, and it wasn't loading. I was like, I'm just gonna leave it there and see if it loads, and then eventually it loaded," Cortez said. Cortez lives in Austin and is facing eviction. She said without this assistance, she won't be able to afford her apartment. "I have a son, too. So I don't want to be homeless," Cortez said. The program is accepting applications for the remaining $96 million in rent relief funds. It's aimed at helping 15,000 households. PREVIOUS COVERAGE: Texas taps into federal fundi...

Moorhead man charged with fatally stabbing and beating his half brother

Moorhead man charged with fatally stabbing and beating his half brother MOORHEAD, Minn. — A Moorhead man is charged with murder after police alleged he killed his half brother last Thursday night at an apartment.Douglas James Swenson II, 25, appeared Monday in Clay County District Court on a second-degree felony count of murder. He faces up to 40 years in prison if convicted of the charge that alleges the killing was not premeditated.The Moorhead Police Department identified the deceased man as Dustin Momerak, 29, Swenson’s half brother. Momerak and Swenson were living together at the time of his death.Douglas James Swenson II, 25, is charged with fatally stabbing and beating his half brother on March 9, 2023, in Moorhead, Minn. (Forum News Service)Momerak died of “multiple sharp and blunt force injuries,” police said Monday in a news release. Officers continue to investigate the death, but they aren’t seeking any further suspects, police said. Police said they believe there is no threat to the public.Police responded at about 11:30 p.m. Thursday to Swe...

Hudson angler hooks Mille Lacs Lake northern pike that ties Minnesota catch-and-release record

Hudson angler hooks Mille Lacs Lake northern pike that ties Minnesota catch-and-release record A Wisconsin angler caught a 46.25-inch northern pike on Mille Lacs Lake that the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources has certified as a tie with the current catch-and-release state record.Brad Lila, of Hudson, Wis., caught and released the fish Jan. 22.“I set the hook as the line was quickly peeling out,” Lila said in a DNR statement. “I knew it was a very large fish because it peeled out drag and there was no stopping it. After about 10 minutes of fighting the fish, I knew that it might take more than me to land it.”Brad Lila, of Hudson, Wis., caught and released this 46.25-inch northern pike Jan. 22, 2023, while fishing on Mille Lacs Lake. The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources in March verified the fish as tied for the state catch-and-release record for pike. (Minnesota Department of Natural Resources via Forum News Service)Lila said he hollered and waved for help and two nearby anglers came to his aid. Lila tried to get the fish to turn its head to come up the hole,...

Boomer Esiason talks Rodgers, Rangers, Knicks

Boomer Esiason talks Rodgers, Rangers, Knicks ALBANY, N.Y. (NEWS10) -- Former NFL MVP Boomer Esiason isn't just known as a football player. In his post-playing career, Esiason is now an in-studio NFL analyst, a host of Boomer and Gio on WFAN, and the host of Gametime with Boomer Esiason. The former Jets quarterback joined News10 Sports Director Griffin Haas on Tuesday to talk Aaron Rodgers to the Jets, the New York Rangers, the NCAA Tournament, and the New York Knicks. You can catch Gametime with Boomer Esiason Sundays on WTEN at 11:35 PM.

Pat Schroeder remembered as a Colorado trailblazer for women’s equality who “never gave up the fight”

Pat Schroeder remembered as a Colorado trailblazer for women’s equality who “never gave up the fight” In her 24 years in Congress, former U.S. Rep. Pat Schroeder tossed barbs and quips, riling those who stood in her way because she was a woman while at the same time inspiring those who saw her as a force of nature when it came to promoting women’s equality.Many of the Coloradan’s sayings are legendary. She was the one who nicknamed President Ronald Reagan the “Teflon President” because criticism never seemed to damage his reputation.But Schroeder’s most notorious quote came in response to someone asking how she could possibly be a congresswoman and a parent to two small children: “I have a brain and a uterus and I use both.”“She was very proud of that line,” U.S. Rep. Diana DeGette, who won Schroeder’s seat after she retired from Congress in 1997, said Tuesday morning when remembering her mentor.Schroeder, who represented Colorado’s First Congressional District from 1973 to 1997 and was the first woman elected to Cong...

Want tickets to NCAA Tournament at Ball Arena? Some face-value seats may become available Thursday.

Want tickets to NCAA Tournament at Ball Arena? Some face-value seats may become available Thursday. Fans wanting tickets to March Madness at Ball Arena have one half-court heave left if they don’t want to go through second-hand sellers or brokers.Related ArticlesCollege Sports | Back to work: CU Buffs women’s basketball begins NCAA Tournament prep College Sports | Coors Light debuts beer-flavored popsicles for March Madness College Sports | NIT game day notes: Defensive battle could be in the works between CU Buffs, Seton Hall College Sports | CU Buffs’ Quay Miller refocused, ready for NCAA Tournament College Sports | Back to the dance: CU Buffs women’s basketball earns No. 6 seed in NCAA Tournament Mountain West officials told The Denver Post that none of the seven teams that are locked into the Ball Arena site for the NCAA men’s basketball tournament this weekend returned any tickets for resale as of the 5 p.m. Tuesday deadline.However, there is one more team with a slot in Denver to fill...

Nuggets lose fourth straight, 125-110, to Raptors after season-worst first quarter in Toronto

Nuggets lose fourth straight, 125-110, to Raptors after season-worst first quarter in Toronto TORONTO — Option No. 1 was getting swarmed in a continuation of the recent trend that has vexed him and the Nuggets. Option No. 2 might have actually been playing on one leg, as coach Michael Malone joked about before the game.That left the Nuggets with Option No. 3 as their way out of a three-game losing streak: The player who was benched for most of the second half in the third of those losses.Michael Porter Jr. led an impressive Denver comeback with 23 points on 8-of-13 shooting here Tuesday night, but with Nikola Jokic contained and Jamal Murray not fully healthy, the Nuggets fell short of erasing a 24-point deficit in a 125-110 loss to the Raptors.The Nuggets’ most recent win remains their narrow escape against Toronto eight days earlier at Ball Arena. Since then, they have lost four straight, a season-long losing streak for the Western Conference’s top team.Denver (46-23) pulled within three points early in the fourth quarter but couldn’t quite overcome...

Keeler: Nuggets fan favorite LaPhonso Ellis pulled off one of basketball’s greatest upsets in 1994. Can son Walter Ellis do the same at NCAA Tournament in 2023?

Keeler: Nuggets fan favorite LaPhonso Ellis pulled off one of basketball’s greatest upsets in 1994. Can son Walter Ellis do the same at NCAA Tournament in 2023? He has dad’s eyes. Dad’s smile. Dad’s sweet stroke. And, as it turns out, the same expression LaPhonso Ellis would flash with the Nuggets whenever he started feeling it on the floor.“We’re not ‘photogenic’ basketball players,” Walter Ellis, a senior guard with the Grand Canyon Antelopes, laughed as we spoke by phone about the NCAA Tournament games in Denver this week. “If you see our faces, it looks like we’re just making the weirdest faces. It just does not look good.”Young Walter, son of Ellis, the former Nuggets first-round pick and Front Range fan favorite, is 23 now. The older he gets, the younger Ellis noted, the more he starts looking like the old man. Acting like him, too.“My dad used to do this thing that irritated me when I was younger, he’d wag a finger or wave his hand along to a song,” Walter recalled. “Or he would tap his fingers to the beat. And lo and behold, I’m 23 and I kid you not, now if I hear a song that I like, I’m making all kinds of body motions. I’m like, ‘...

Pursuit ends with dramatic crash into historic Plaza Park fountain in Orange: video

Pursuit ends with dramatic crash into historic Plaza Park fountain in Orange: video A 24-year-old man has been arrested and faces several charges after leading police in a pursuit that ended with a dramatic crash into the historic Plaza Park fountain in Orange on Monday, authorities announced.  The incident unfolded just after 5 a.m. when an officer with the Orange Police Department observed a motorist in a Hyundai Sonata driving with their headlights off in the 100 block of South Parker Street. When the officer attempted a traffic stop, the suspect, identified as Raymond Salazar Felix, fled east at a high rate of speed on Chapman Avenue, police said.  Surveillance video from the City of Orange shows Felix driving straight into the Plaza Park roundabout and colliding with the iconic fountain, causing the Hyundai to flip several times before coming to a stop near the other end of the plaza.  The 24-year-old, who suffered moderate injuries in the crash, was found to be in possession of a ghost gun and a high-capacity magazine.  “Upon further ...

Red Lobster offering 'endless lobster' for one-day only at Times Square location

Red Lobster offering 'endless lobster' for one-day only at Times Square location Red Lobster is no stranger to unlimited food offerings. The restaurant chain regularly holds events to offer endless shrimp, and its world-famous Cheddar Bay Biscuits are unlimited to restaurant guests.But a new promotion taking place this month might be the restaurant's most ambitious.Red Lobster announced Tuesday that it would be offering endless lobster for one day only at one location.The endless lobster event will happen on March 28 at the Red Lobster located in Times Square in New York City. Those lucky enough to snag a reservation, will get to enjoy unlimited live Maine lobster, entirely free of charge.Each 1.25-pound lobster comes with a side of butter, steamed broccoli and a choice of side.Red Lobster is hosting the first-ever Endless Lobster event for "lob-sessed" guests at its Times Square location on March 28, 2023 (Red Lobster)Reservations open to the public on March 21 for three available dining windows: 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.; 1 p.m. to 3 p.m.; and 3 p.m. to 5 p.m.Reservat...