Joe’s Stone Crab hosts Boys & Girls Club Annual Claws for Kids

Published Thu, 28 Mar 2024 12:20:39 GMT

Joe’s Stone Crab hosts Boys & Girls Club Annual Claws for Kids A special event had people eating crabs for a cause and giving back the Boys & Girls Club.The Boys & Girls Club of Miami-Dade held its 12th annual Claws for Kids hosted by Joe’s Stone Crabs.Attendees got the chance to enjoy Joe’s legendary stone crabs all in the name of positive programming for kids in our community.7News anchor Belkys Nerey had the honor of emceeing the program and handed out raffle prizes.“The beginning of summer and the time of greatest need for kids in our community,” said Sunbeam Television CEO Andy Ansin. “The Girls & Boys Club really needs the funds and is working to keep the kids involved and engaged.”“We provide, from recreational to educational to learning experiences, field trips, Everglades trips. The idea is for kids to have different experiences for them to grow and develop,” said Alex Rodriguez, President of Boys & Girls Club Miami-Dade.This year’s event was held in memory of Judy K...

Two teens arrested after alleged attack on woman at Broadway MBTA station

Two teens arrested after alleged attack on woman at Broadway MBTA station Two teens are facing charges linked to accusations that they dumped a woman’s groceries out and threw items at her at the Broadway MBTA station on Thursday of last week, the Suffolk County District Attorney’s Office announced. The DA’s office said the incident happened at some point before 3:30 p.m., when MBTA transit police saw a 21-year-old woman crying while sitting on a bench on the Broadway platform. The DA’s office said the woman told police she saw a group of teens arguing with someone while she was on a Red Line train. “One of the juveniles, a female, turned to the victim and said ‘What the (expletive) are you looking at?’” the DA’s office said. Officials said the juvenile and a second member of her group then attacked the victim, leaving her with a swollen and bleeding nose. The DA’s office said Saul Diaz, 18, was charged with unarmed robbery and assault and battery with a dangerous weapon. Officials said a 16-year-old female was also arrested ...

Mets Notebook: Max Scherzer nearing return vs. Tigers after sticky substance suspension

Mets Notebook: Max Scherzer nearing return vs. Tigers after sticky substance suspension DETROIT — Max Scherzer was hoping to return from his 10-game sticky substance suspension to face the Atlanta Braves. He dropped his appeal to MLB in part to be able to face an important division rival.But the weather didn’t cooperate and one of the Mets’ games against the Braves was postponed until August because of rain. Scherzer was just one game too short. And while he’s happy to be making his return in Detroit, where he turned into one of the game’s premier aces, it’s still not quite the same as facing a rival.“I’d rather face a division opponent,” Scherzer said Tuesday afternoon at Comerica Park. “It’s fun to face a division opponent. I get it. It’s fun to face them, the Braves are good. I can beat them, they can beat me. We’ve had good matchups with them over the years. So you won’t always want to go out there and face your division foe.”The Detroit Tigers (10-17) don’t exactly pose...

Being high on crack not grounds for new trial after Peabody double-murder: SJC

Being high on crack not grounds for new trial after Peabody double-murder: SJC Being high on crack when he blasted a man in the face with a shotgun and stabbed a woman more than 20 times is not an acceptable excuse for a new trial, the state’s highest court ruled.“The jury convicted the defendant of murder in the first degree on the theory of premeditation as to both victims, and on the theory of extreme atrocity or cruelty,” SJC Associate Justice Dalila Argaez Wendlandt wrote in the ruling released Tuesday.The state Supreme Judicial Court ruled that Wes Doughty’s guilty verdict for the 2017 murder of Mark Greenlaw and Jennifer O’Connor inside a Peabody home used as a crack cocaine distribution hub stands.“We affirm the convictions and discern no reason to grant relief,” the SJC wrote.Doughty, Wendlandt stated, was a daily visitor to the house to both smoke cocaine and also take part in caring for the home’s disabled proprietor, David Moise, who required assistance both “eating and toileting.” Doughty was so close, she added, that he was known to c...

Cambridge to provide $500 cash payments to families facing poverty for 18 months

Cambridge to provide $500 cash payments to families facing poverty for 18 months Thousands of Cambridge residents living at or below the poverty line will start receiving $500 in monthly payments this summer in an initiative that city officials say will help families build financial security.The program, dubbed ‘Rise Up Cambridge,’ is a vow that Mayor Sumbul Siddiqui made during a State of the City address last year, expanding on a pilot program that provided $500 in direct cash payments to 130 families for 18 months.“This program is meant to give families the stability they need and the opportunity to succeed, and most of all, give them hope for the future,” Siddiqui said during a news conference Tuesday. “We want Cambridge to be a city where all families feel supported, seen and trusted to make the best decisions for their kids.”City officials are investing $22 million in federal American Rescue Plan Act funds into the expanded initiative, which is expected to reach 2,000 families living at or below 250% of the federal poverty line.The only other qualification...

Sixers star Joel Embiid wins 2023 NBA MVP Award

Sixers star Joel Embiid wins 2023 NBA MVP Award Philadelphia 76ers big man Joel Embiid was announced as the winner of the 2023 MVP Award. The superstar beat out Denver’s Nikola Jokic and Milwaukee’s Giannis Antetokounmpo, achieving the first MVP award of his career.Embiid finished second for the honor last season, behind Jokic, who previously was the reigning two-time winner for the award. The former Jayhawks’ win marks the third straight year a center won the MVP award.The 29-year-old wrapped up his best season of his career, averaging 33.1 points, 10.2 rebounds and 4.2 assists per game. Embiid led the league in scoring and ranked seventh overall in rebounds per game. His 33.1 points per game and 54.8% shooting from the field were career-highs for the star. ()

New month, new look: Tim Anderson returning and Oscar Colás getting sent down are among 11 Chicago White Sox roster moves

New month, new look: Tim Anderson returning and Oscar Colás getting sent down are among 11 Chicago White Sox roster moves The Chicago White Sox lineup took a step closer to full strength Tuesday with All-Star shortstop Tim Anderson back in the leadoff spot after returning from the injured list.That was one of 11 roster moves — including optioning rookie right fielder Oscar Colás to Triple-A Charlotte — as the Sox began the new month with a bit of a new look after going 8-21 in April.Anderson was slashing .298/.327/.404 with five doubles, four RBIs, five stolen bases and nine runs in 11 games when he sprained his left knee April 10 in Minnesota. The Sox placed him on the IL the next day.“I’m here and I’m ready to hopefully bring some positive energy back and continue to keep pushing,” Anderson said before Tuesday’s series opener against the Twins at Guaranteed Rate Field. “Definitely was doing everything I could to stay healthy. It was just one of those incidents. A guy ran into me.“Now, continue to keep pushing and continue to keep trying to st...

Bruins notebook: Linus Ullmark believes he was hurt, not injured

Bruins notebook: Linus Ullmark believes he was hurt, not injured Linus Ullmark did not detail what his physical malady was in the playoffs, but maintained that the medical staff helped to make him ready to play from Games 1-6 against the Florida Panthers.But the likely Vezina Trophy winner knows what he was able to give his team in the post-season was not good enough.In typical Ullmark fashion, he was philosophical about the whole experience, and intentionally vague.“You know what, here’s the deal, we all go through things in life. We all go through things come playoff time. We all battle our different things, whether it’s mentally or it’s physically,” said Ullmark on Bruins’ breakup day at Warrior Ice Arena on Tuesday. “We all have our stuff. We all want to help the team out to the best of our capabilities. Yeah, it’s pretty evident that I didn’t play the way that I wanted to. I wasn’t as good as I wanted to be, and unfortunately at the worst time possible. That’s something I have to live with and ...

The Knicks-Heat rivalry produced enemies for life

The Knicks-Heat rivalry produced enemies for life The old Heat-Knicks rivalry, forged by Pat Riley’s betrayal, PJ Brown’s body slam and Jeff Van Gundy hanging on for dear life, can be best explained by Chris Childs, among the linchpins of those series in the 1990s.“I don’t think the current players truly understand the hatred,” Childs told the Daily News. “The fans need to speak up and talk about that. Because only the ex-players and the fans understand that we did not like each other. We didn’t go out to dinner. The only friends were Patrick [Ewing] and Alonzo [Mourning]. We didn’t shake hands before the game. We didn’t do none of that. Because we wanted to beat each other’s brains out.”Childs held particular disdain for former Heat point guard Tim Hardaway. That hasn’t changed.“I dislike him,” Childs said. “Still do.”The issue with Hardaway was two-fold, Childs explained. There were some fouls that breached protocol — “any ...

Karen Read case: Prosecutors say defense theories in John O’Keefe’s death a ‘fanciful’ ‘conspiracy’

Karen Read case: Prosecutors say defense theories in John O’Keefe’s death a ‘fanciful’ ‘conspiracy’ Prosecutors in the case of Karen Read, accused of running over her boyfriend with her SUV in Canton last year, call recently filed defense documents implicating others a “fanciful” “conspiracy” ahead of the next hearing.Read, 43, of Mansfield, is charged in Norfolk Superior Court with second-degree murder, motor vehicle manslaughter while under the influence of alcohol and leaving the scene of a collision causing death in the Jan. 29, 2022, killing of her boyfriend, Boston Police Officer John O’Keefe, 46, of Canton.Her defense attorneys filed motions they say “must reverse the trajectory of this case.” They requested cell phone data from the host of the party and a smaller motion last week seeking more physical evidence.The filings contained bombshell allegations that two others at the party in Canton where O’Keefe’s body was found the next morning conspired in the O’Keefe’s death: homeowner Brian Albert, a fellow member of the Boston Police; and Albert’s sis...