Invasive species report outlines costs, solutions for world governments

Published Thu, 28 Mar 2024 12:29:06 GMT

Invasive species report outlines costs, solutions for world governments An international organization has produced a report on alien invasive species which says the global problem costs billions of dollars annually and is, in some cases, being worsened by climate change.The executive summary of the report from the Intergovernmental Science-Policy Platform on Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services was approved over the weekend in Bonn, Germany, by the organization’s 143 member states.It said that while 80 per cent of countries have targets related to managing invasive alien species in their national biodiversity plans, only 17 per cent have national laws or regulations specifically addressing these issues and about 45 per cent of all countries don’t invest in the management of biological invasions.“I would certainly give Canada strong marks in terms of its overall effort but it might be time for a re-think,” said Peter Stoett, a faculty member of Ontario Tech University in Oshawa, Ont., who was one of the report’s three co-auth...

Manitoba Tories seek third consecutive mandate in election set for Oct. 3

Manitoba Tories seek third consecutive mandate in election set for Oct. 3 WINNIPEG — Manitoba Premier Heather Stefanson is expected to call an election today.The vote is already scheduled for Oct. 3 and Stefanson will make a campaign announcement this morning where she is expected to launch the 28-day campaign.Stefanson, who became premier two years ago, is aiming to lead the Progressive Conservatives to a third consecutive majority.Opinion polls have suggested it will be an uphill battle, as support for the Tories dropped sharply during the COVID-19 pandemic.The Opposition New Democrats have been leading in the polls, especially in Winnipeg where most legislature seats are concentrated.The Manitoba Liberal Party is seeking to add to the three legislature seats it currently holds, which is not enough for official party status.This report by The Canadian Press was first published Sept. 5, 2023The Canadian Press

Yellowknife evacuees hopeful they’ll be allowed to return home tomorrow as planned

Yellowknife evacuees hopeful they’ll be allowed to return home tomorrow as planned Yellowknife residents are crossing their fingers that tomorrow’s scheduled lifting of a general evacuation order will go ahead as planned and they’ll be allowed to return home.The lifting of the order remains contingent on fire and highway conditions, but N.W.T. wildfire information officer Mike Westwick said yesterday that no challenges are expected for Highway 1 for the next few days.Yellowknife city manager Sheila Bassi-Kellett says workers in grocery stores, pharmacies, home-heating providers, and even some taxi drivers and daycare providers are on their way back to the city in advance of tomorrow.Bassi-Kellett notes the city is getting ready for people clearing three weeks of food out of their refrigerators.Residents have already been advised they should prepare to be self-reliant for 72 hours upon their return. NWT Emergency Management Organization information officer Jay Boast says over 2,000 people have pre-registered for re-entry flights, following a call to do ...

The US sent cluster munitions to Ukraine but activists still seek to bolster a treaty banning them

The US sent cluster munitions to Ukraine but activists still seek to bolster a treaty banning them GENEVA (AP) — Backers of an international agreement that bans cluster munitions, which harm and kill many more civilians than combatants, are striving to prevent erosion in support for the deal after what one leading human rights group calls an “unconscionable” U.S. decision to ship such weapons to Ukraine for its fight against Russia. Advocacy groups in the Cluster Munitions Coalition released their latest annual report on Tuesday, ahead of a meeting next week of envoys from the 112 countries that have acceded to or ratified the Convention on Cluster Munitions, which prohibits the explosives and calls for clearing areas where they litter the ground — often during or after conflicts.A further 12 countries have signed the convention. The United States and Russia are not among them.Mary Wareham of Human Rights Watch, who has long championed the 15-year-old convention, says the coalition was “extremely concerned” about the U.S. move in July, after an intense debate among U.S. leaders, ...

Daily horoscope for September 5, 2023

Daily horoscope for September 5, 2023 Moon Alert: Avoid shopping or making important decisions from 12:30 p.m. to 4:15 p.m. EDT today (9:30 a.m. to 1:15 p.m. PDT). After that, the Moon moves from Taurus into Gemini.Happy Birthday for Tuesday, Sept. 5, 2023:You are imaginative and have innovative problem-solving skills. You think and act quickly, and are motivated by your goals. This is a lovely year to socialize and enjoy life! Nurture the happiness and beauty that you have within yourself. Loosen up a bit! Old friends may reappear to rekindle relationships.ARIES(March 21-April 19)★★★A realization, perhaps pertaining to your wealth, earnings or something that you own, might prompt you to repurpose something. You might see a better way of doing something or a better way of using something that you already own. (It’s not surprising, because you’re very resourceful.) Tonight: Stop worrying.TAURUS(April 20-May 20)★★★Whatever you do today, you will do with intensity and purpose. Oh yes, you’re on a mission....

Miss Manners: My husband was upset by my request at the restaurant

Miss Manners: My husband was upset by my request at the restaurant DEAR MISS MANNERS: When is it acceptable to ask for a different table when being seated at a restaurant?My husband and I have a favorite restaurant, which does not take reservations. In the past month, we have been seated once by the restrooms and once by the kitchen.Related ArticlesAdvice | Miss Manners: Am I really ‘trying too hard to be liked’? Advice | Miss Manners: Please decree that people should not knock on a bathroom door Advice | Miss Manners: They say they’d rather die than live like I do. How should I respond? Advice | Miss Manners: How should I warn my neighbors about months of noise? Advice | Miss Manners: I cringe when I picture my dear friend in our house The second time, I politely asked the hostess if we could have another table, and she gracefully complied. I thanked her profusely and made sure to leave a good tip for our waiter. The restaurant was busy, but there wer...

Dear Abby: She decided I can’t be near her children

Dear Abby: She decided I can’t be near her children DEAR ABBY: I have been married to “Frank” for 2½ years. We met and married quickly. Best decision ever.Related ArticlesAdvice | Dear Abby: The wedding is on hold, but the bride is apparently keeping my money Advice | Dear Abby: When he thought I was dying, he revealed his role in this painful deception Advice | Dear Abby: I don’t want to hear her fantasies about the priest Advice | Dear Abby: She offered no remorse for grabbing the spotlight at the engagement party Advice | Dear Abby: My friend’s personality changed, and now she’s stalking me We each had raised two daughters as single parents with different parenting styles. Our girls now range in age from 30 to 33. They are adults with lives and children of their own.My daughters have accepted and come to love Frank. They have always been respectful and inclusive.In the beginning, his daughters treated me OK. But after six ...

Calling all foodies! Fairfax City Restaurant Week returns to Northern Virginia

Calling all foodies! Fairfax City Restaurant Week returns to Northern Virginia toggle audio on and off change volume download audio WTOP's Jason Fraley previews Fairfax Restaurant Week (Part 1) $(function () { $('.wtop-audio-container .fa-play').on('click', function(){ var audio_filename = $('div.wtop-audio-file').data("mp3-url"); ga('send', 'event', 'Audio', 'play', audio_filename); }); }); Are you bummed that D.C. Restaurant Week is over? Turn that frown and fork upside-down.Fairfax City Restaurant Week returns to Northern Virginia now through Sunday, Sept. 10.“Restaurant Week in Fairfax City is a great way to showcase the many cuisines represented by talented restaurateurs both locally grown and f...

The year of the North? Ireland and France threaten southern hemisphere hold on the Rugby World Cup

The year of the North? Ireland and France threaten southern hemisphere hold on the Rugby World Cup PARIS (AP) — There’s a good chance — two very good chances, actually — that the 2023 Rugby World Cup will be the year of the North.Top-ranked Ireland and host nation France both provide compelling reasons to believe that the southern hemisphere’s 16-year hold on the Webb Ellis Cup might be over some time around 11 p.m. on Saturday, Oct. 28 in the Paris outskirts, where the glitter falls on the final in front of an expected 81,000 people at Stade de France.A maiden title for either would give the trophy a home north of the equator for the first time since Jonny Wilkinson drop-kicked England to victory in 2003. That was almost another era of rugby and is the only northern hemisphere triumph in the nine World Cups played so far.“We have been open and honest about our ambitions,” said Ireland captain Jonathan Sexton, whose team has a righteous claim to being No. 1 in the world after a run of 13 wins dating to an historic series success in New Zealand in July 2022 — the resul...

Brasil retira a Antony de la selección nacional de fútbol por acusaciones de violencia doméstica

Brasil retira a Antony de la selección nacional de fútbol por acusaciones de violencia doméstica (CNN) — El delantero brasileño Antony fue retirado de la selección nacional este lunes tras acusaciones de abuso por parte de una exnovia, según la Confederación Brasileña de Fútbol (CBF).El jugador del Manchester United está siendo investigado por la Policía de Sao Paulo y la Policía del Gran Manchester por violencia doméstica contra su expareja Gabriela Cavallin, informó el medio brasileño UOL.“Debido a los hechos que se hicieron públicos este lunes que involucran al delantero del Manchester United Antony, y que requieren ser investigados, y con el fin de salvaguardar a la presunta víctima, al jugador, a la Selección Brasileña y a la CBF, la organización informa que el deportista está retirado de la selección brasileña”, dijo la CBF en un comunicado.Según UOL, Cavallin alega que, entre otras cosas, Antony, de 23 años, amenazó con arrojarla de un vehículo mientras conducía a alta velocidad. También dice que el futbolista estrella supuestamente le dio un cabezazo, lo que le de...