Syria’s Aleppo airport resumes flights days after airstrike

Published Thu, 28 Mar 2024 20:18:08 GMT

Syria’s Aleppo airport resumes flights days after airstrike DAMASCUS, Syria (AP) — Flights at Syria’s international airport in Aleppo resumed Friday, three days after it was put out of service by a suspected Israeli airstrike, the country’s head of civil aviation said. Bassem Mansour told the pro-government Sham FM radio station that flights to and from the airport of Syria’s largest city resumed Friday morning after repairs were completed. The suspected Israeli airstrike early Tuesday left multiple craters on the airport runway, satellite images analyzed by The Associated Press showed Thursday.Since the Feb. 6 earthquake that hit Turkey and Syria killing more than 50,000 people, including over 6,000 in Syria, the airport has been a main entry point for jets carrying aid into the war-ton country. Authorities said after the strike that relief flights had been diverted to airports in Damascus and Latakia.The attack on Aleppo airport comes after Israel struck the airfield as part of an Israeli campaign to disrupt Iranian weapons transfers into ...

Winter Weather Advisory until 7 a.m. Friday morning for Chicago area

Winter Weather Advisory until 7 a.m. Friday morning for Chicago area CHICAGO — A Winter Weather Advisory is in effect Thursday from 6 p.m. to 7 a.m. Friday for the Chicago area.Counties include Cook, DuPage, Kane, Lake and McHenry.In Kane and McHenry counties, the advisory went into effect at 3 p.m. Thursday. Slushy roadways are expected until 7 a.m. Accumulating wet snow is expected with 2-7 inches possible. Highest totals near Illinois/Wisconsin line. Interactive Radar: Track showers and storm here Northwestern parts of the state will see the worst conditions between 3-9 p.m. Northeastern parts of the state will see the worst conditions between 5-11 p.m.Wet and slushy snow, mainly near and north of Interstate 80 and Interstate 88 could lead to hazardous travel.Allow extra time and drive with caution into Friday morning as the travel impact could linger in some areas.In Chicago, the Department of Streets and Sanitation has deployed more than 200 salt spreaders to treat the roads. According to the department, they wi...

Girl Scouts 'extremely disappointed' with cookie baker amid inventory, supply chain problems

Girl Scouts 'extremely disappointed' with cookie baker amid inventory, supply chain problems (The Hill) - The Girl Scouts organization is “extremely disappointed” with one of its two primary cookie bakers, as it continues to face inventory and supply chain problems, according to reports. The Little Brownie Bakers (LBB), which produced cookies for the Girl Scouts’ annual fundraiser, suffered weather-induced power outages at its factory in Louisville, Ky., last weekend, further worsening previous production problems. Girl Scout cookie shortage sparks resale market “We are extremely disappointed that LBB is again having challenges with managing their production,” a Girl Scouts spokesperson said, per CNBC. “We will address these issues with our baker partner in the future and we are keeping all options open to do right by our girls.”LBB previously faced mechanical problems with its Samoa cookie production and has reportedly experienced production issues over the last three years, CNBC reported. Girl Scouts receives its cookies from both LBB and ABC Bakers for the popular...

Americans were happier than ever in 2020. Then came COVID.

Americans were happier than ever in 2020. Then came COVID. In January 2020, a long-running Gallup poll found 90 percent of American respondents broadly satisfied with their lives, the highest quotient of contentment in nearly a half-century of polling.  And then, the pandemic hit. Much has been said about the pall of ennui that settled over the nation in the months after that midwinter poll as COVID-19 upended society. By the spring of 2020, a benchmark University of Chicago survey found American happiness at the lowest ebb in five decades. Taken together, the two polls suggest a remarkable narrative: In the span of a few months, America’s collective happiness plummeted from a historic high to a record low. “We were doing fairly well before the pandemic,” said Fallon Goodman, an assistant professor of psychology at George Washington University who studies human resilience. “We had the start of a new year. There was a renewed sense of hope ... And then those things were taken away from us.” The pandemic interrup...

Virginia judge uses slavery law to rule frozen embryos are property

Virginia judge uses slavery law to rule frozen embryos are property FAIRFAX, Va. (AP) — Frozen human embryos can legally be considered property, or “chattel,” a Virginia judge has ruled, basing his decision in part on a 19th century law governing the treatment of slaves.The preliminary opinion by Fairfax County Circuit Court Judge Richard Gardiner – delivered in a long-running dispute between a divorced husband and wife – is being criticized by some for wrongly and unnecessarily delving into a time in Virginia history when it was legally permissible to own human beings."It's repulsive and it’s morally repugnant,” said Susan Crockin, a lawyer and scholar at Georgetown University’s Kennedy Institute of Ethics and an expert in reproductive technology law.Solomon Ashby, president of the Old Dominion Bar Association, a professional organization made up primarily of African American lawyers, called Gardiner’s ruling troubling.“I would like to think that the bench and the bar would be seeking more modern precedent,” he said. Prosecutors signal Trump may ...

Quick temperature swings through the weekend

Quick temperature swings through the weekend AUSTIN (KXAN) -- After 5 days in the 80s, we'll finish up the work week with relatively cooler weather.A cold front continues to sink south of us and it's wake, leaving us with slightly cooler temperatures. Afternoon highs are expected to return to the upper 60s to low 70s under a mix of sun and clouds. A temperature roller coaster ride continues thereafter with very warm conditions Saturday, then a more extended period of cool spring weather beginning Sunday. NEW BLOG: La Niña has ended — Here’s what’s next and when El Niño could begin BLOG: Spring forecast: Will our wet season fix the drought? Don't forget to set your clocks forward one hour Sunday morning as Daylight Saving Time begins.FIRST WARNING WEATHER: Stay up to date with your Central Texas forecast, sign up for our weather newsletter at kxan.com/newsletters Stay up-to-date with the First Warning Weather teamFollow the KXAN First Warning Weather team on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.You can also follow our meteorolo...

Oscars 2023 predictions: Who will (and who should) win

Oscars 2023 predictions: Who will (and who should) win Last year’s Academy Awards were, by most measures, a real mess; overlong, unfunny and punctuated by The Slap, an unexpected event that had everyone talking about the Oscars for the wrong reasons. The show was a parade of bad decisions, particularly the choice to prioritize limp comedy sketches over actual Oscar presentations (eight categories were awarded in a pre-show, then clumsily edited into the live show). After this mess, there’s nowhere to go but up, right?I’m hopeful that the 2023 ceremony, hosted by Jimmy Kimmel, will be less of a fiasco. Early signs are good: Academy CEO Bill Kramer told Time magazine that this year’s show will be “much more immersive, much more nominee-focused, and much more focused on all of the disciplines of filmmaking,” and confirmed that every category will be presented live. (That silly “fan favorite” Twitter poll? Kramer grimaced and made a cutting motion when it was mentioned. Good riddance.)So let&#...

Adam Carrington: Supreme Court justices’ financial status has no bearing on legality of student debt relief

Adam Carrington: Supreme Court justices’ financial status has no bearing on legality of student debt relief Last week, the U.S. Supreme Court heard arguments about the legality of President Joe Biden’s student debt relief plan. Given the normal schedule followed by the Supreme Court, we shouldn’t expect a final decision until at least June.But on Monday, CNN already was hard at work seeking to impugn the legitimacy of the ultimate decision. In an analysis describing the financial status and educational experiences of the nine justices, commentator Devan Cole paints a picture of privilege. These men and women receive a salary between $274,000 and $299,000 a year before other lucrative revenue streams. They all went to either Harvard or Yale University (except for Justice Amy Coney Barrett), and most received significant scholarships during their undergraduate and law school studies.Cole uses these facts to launch a preemptive assault. These justices’ experiences differ widely from the majority of those who stand to benefit from the student debt relief program. They rose o...

Deadline approaching for Shen transportation requests

Deadline approaching for Shen transportation requests CLIFTON PARK, N.Y. (NEWS10) — The deadline for families within the Shenendehowa Central School District to request transportation to non-public schools is fast approaching. Families must submit requests by April 1. Get all of the latest news, weather, sports, and entertainment delivered right to your inbox! Applications are available at the non-public schools where the kids attend. They are also available on the Shenendehowa School District website. Finished applications must be sent through snail mail to the district's pupil transportation office. For more information, call (518) 881-0240. Pittsfield to host free monthly wellness clinics Address:Shenendehowa Central School District, Attn: Pupil Transportation Office, 970 Rt. 146, Clifton Park, NY 12065.

98.3 TRY Social Dilemma: Who is wrong- guy parked in the wrong spot, or guy who blocked him?

98.3 TRY Social Dilemma: Who is wrong- guy parked in the wrong spot, or guy who blocked him? ALBANY, N.Y. (NEWS10) — Today's 98.3 TRY Social Dilemma came from Scott. Here's his email: Get all of the latest news, weather, sports, and entertainment delivered right to your inbox! Hi Jaime. I got into an argument with another driver outside a restaurant and I want to know who you think was right. My wife and I ordered takeout at a local place, and I went to pick it up. When I got there, I went to curbside pickup, and all five spots were taken. Three cars had people waiting for their takeout, but the other two had no one in them. People had used them as regular parking spots. So, I parallel-parked in front of them blocking the two vehicles in. Called the place and told them I was outside, and they said, "we are just finishing your order and it will be out in a few minutes." Meantime one of the guys comes out to his car and wants to leave. He's yelling at me I need to move. I need to get out of here. I calmly said, "well If you were parked in a proper spot in the first place,...