Brandon Lowe hits three-run homer in the 11th inning, Rays beat Red Sox 8-6

Published Thu, 28 Mar 2024 14:14:18 GMT

Brandon Lowe hits three-run homer in the 11th inning, Rays beat Red Sox 8-6 ST. PETERSBUG, Fla. (AP) — Brandon Lowe hit a three-run homer in the bottom of the 11th inning and the Tampa Bay Rays beat the Boston Red Sox 8-6 on Tuesday night.Lowe won it with his 18th homer off Kenley Jansen (3-6), who had his streak of converting 20 consecutive chances end. Erasmo Ramirez (3-3) got the win.“Every walk-off is going to feel nice,” Lowe said. “Every walk-off homer is going to feel better.”Luis Urías hit an RBI single in the 11th inning to give Boston a 6-5 lead, a flare to shallow right that went of the glove of Lowe at second base.“It’s September,” Lowe said. “Any win that we can grab at this moment we’re going to take it. We understand we need to be better in every facet, so understand it, take it in.”The Rays loaded the bases in the 10th with one out against John Schreiber but failed to score when Josh Lowe was thrown out by right fielder Adam Duvall trying to score from third on Christian Bethancourt’s fly.Boston started the day 4 1/2 games out of...

Heat wave continues for DC region before cold front brings storms

Heat wave continues for DC region before cold front brings storms Wednesday will continue the trend of heat ripping through our area this week. So when will it let up? Here’s what you need to know.Records were broken on Tuesday with temperatures at all three major D.C.-area airports recording at 99 degrees.Overall, the National Weather Service has labeled the beginning of the week as a Hazardous Weather Outlook, which means extra measures should be taken to shelter, stay cool and hydrated, and check up on those more vulnerable to the heat.Listen to WTOP online and on the radio at 103.5 FM or 107.7 FM.Current traffic conditionsWeather forecastClosings and DelaysSign up for WTOP alerts7News First Alert Meteorologist Steve Rudin told WTOP that Wednesday’s weather will feel like it’s reaching triple digits.He added that a cold front moving into the area on Thursday will bring evening showers and storms but will keep the region heat-blanketed with an index in the upper 90s.“The DMV is currently experiencing a sizzling September ...

Martini’s 3-run shot, Encarnación-Strand’s RBI single lift Reds over Mariners 7-6

Martini’s 3-run shot, Encarnación-Strand’s RBI single lift Reds over Mariners 7-6 CINCINNATI (AP) — Nick Martini came off the bench to hit a game-tying three-run homer run in the eighth inning and Christian Encarnación-Strand drove in Elly De La Cruz in the ninth and the Cincinnati Reds came from behind for a 7-6 win over the Seattle Mariners on Tuesday night.“I wish there was a secret sauce,” Martini said. “Pinch hitting is tough. I can’t say it’s the easiest thing to do. You just try to put a good at bat together and try to get the barrel on the ball. That’s basically all I’m trying to do when I pinch hit. Fortunately, that one had enough on it to get up.”Julio Rodríguez hit two home runs for the Mariners (77-61), who have lost three straight for the first time since Aug. 12-14. The Mariners are a game behind the Astros and a game ahead of the Rangers in the AL West after Houston’s 14-1 win over Texas on Tuesday night.De La Cruz led off the ninth with an infield hit, stole second and scored with a head-first slide on Encarnación-Strand’s singl...

Royals get “balk off” win over White Sox after rallying from 6-0 deficit

Royals get “balk off” win over White Sox after rallying from 6-0 deficit KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) — Gregory Santos issues a bases-loaded balk as the Kansas City Royals rallied from a six-run deficit to beat the Chicago White Sox 7-6 on Tuesday night. It was the Royals first series win since Aug. 1-3 against the Mets, ironically a series that included the first balk-off win in franchise history. They entered the ninth trailing 6-5. Nick Loftin reached on an error and went to second on a single by Michael Massey. Maikel Garcia hit into a fielder’s choice before Bobby Witt Jr. singled in the tying run. With two outs, Santos intentionally walked MJ Melendez to load the bases, bringing up Edward Olivares.Santos was called for a balk on his first pitch to Olivares.“I don’t know what he was trying to do,” Olivares said. “Maybe he was trying to speed me up.”The Royals had never won on a game-ending balk prior to this season, and now they’ve done it twice. The first was against the Mets on Aug. 1.“Prior to this year I can only remember it happening...

Seiya Suzuki and Christopher Morel homer as the Cubs rally past the Giants 11-8

Seiya Suzuki and Christopher Morel homer as the Cubs rally past the Giants 11-8 CHICAGO (AP) — Seiya Suzuki and Christopher Morel homered during Chicago’s six-run seventh inning, and the Cubs beat the San Francisco Giants 11-8 on Tuesday night for their third consecutive win.Suzuki had four hits and three RBIs as Chicago remained 2 1/2 games back of NL Central-leading Milwaukee. Yan Gomes added three hits and two RBIs, and Drew Smyly (10-9) got three outs for the win.The Cubs moved a season-high 11 games over .500 at 75-64. They are 49-28 since they dropped to 26-36 with a 3-1 loss at the Angels on June 8.J.D. Davis, LaMonte Wade Jr., Mike Yastrzemski and Wilmer Flores homered for San Francisco in its fifth consecutive loss. Davis and Joc Pederson each had three hits.Part of a four-way fight for the third NL wild card, the Giants dropped to 9-20 since Aug. 5.San Francisco, which was shut out in its previous two games, scored three runs in the sixth to take a 6-4 lead. Pederson hit an RBI double off Kyle Hendricks and Davis greeted Hayden Wesneski with a o...

Pete Alonso hits 1 of Mets’ 5 homers to back José Quintana in 11-5 rout of Nationals

Pete Alonso hits 1 of Mets’ 5 homers to back José Quintana in 11-5 rout of Nationals WASHINGTON (AP) — Brandon Nimmo doesn’t care whether the Mets finish ahead of the Washington Nationals in the NL East, but he still thinks New York has plenty to play for in the final month of a disastrous season.As a personal goal, hitting 20 homers for the first time was meaningful to Nimmo. For his team, breezing to victory with four rookies in the lineup was a promising sign for 2024.“We’re trying to see what we have in store for next year. There might be a world that we sneak into the playoffs right now, I don’t know. I’m trying to see (Ronny) Mauricio, I’m trying to see (Brett) Baty, I’m trying to see (Francisco) Alvarez. I’m trying to see what they do on a daily basis and be around them and mentor them,” Nimmo said. “I could care less whether we finish last or second-to-last in the division.”Nimmo went deep twice and Pete Alonso hit his 42nd homer to back a sharp outing by from José Quintana, and the Mets thumped the Nationals 11-5 on...

Cherry Creek High teacher on leave after alleged obscenity incident

Cherry Creek High teacher on leave after alleged obscenity incident DENVER (KDVR) -- A teacher at Cherry Creek High School, who is also a coach, has been placed on leave after an alleged incident involving criminal obscenity, the Greenwood Village Police Department said Tuesday.The identity of the teacher has not been released. Police say there is no threat to the community.The investigation is active and ongoing into the alleged incident and other crimes which could be associated, police said.Police say the district notified the department on Aug. 23 and that the district is cooperating with the investigation. The teacher was placed on leave as soon as the district learned of the allegations, police said. Get the FOX31 App: Breaking news alerts & Pinpoint Weather No additional information has been released by police.

Reward offered in High Line Canal Trail killing

Reward offered in High Line Canal Trail killing ARAPAHOE COUNTY, Colo. (KDVR) — The family of a man killed over the summer continues to look for answers as Metro Denver Crime Stoppers is getting involved in the case.On July 11, 40-year-old Jamie Singleton was shot and killed along the High Line Canal Trail, according to the Arapahoe County Sheriff's Office."It had to be someone he trusted,” said Singleton’s younger sister, Chanell. She said she thinks about her big brother, nicknamed “Ears,” every day.Jamie Singleton (KDVR)“From the time that I wake up to the time that I go to sleep, I cry about it three, four times throughout the day," she said.Metro Denver Crime Stoppers will pay up to $2,000 for information that leads to an arrest. Tipsters can remain anonymous. The number is 720-913-STOP.

US News: 5 Denver-area high schools among best in Colorado

US News: 5 Denver-area high schools among best in Colorado DENVER (KDVR) -- Several high schools in Colorado ranked among the best in the country, according to the 2023-24 Best High Schools ranking by U.S. News & World Report.According to U.S. News & World Report, 17,680 schools were ranked nationwide out of over 25,000. In Colorado, 351 high schools made the list.Overall, 116 of these schools -- or 31.5% -- ranked in the top 25% nationwide, and 23 ranked in the top 5% nationally.The organization uses several factors to determine the top-ranked schools, including college readiness, graduation rate and proficiency and performance on state assessment tests. CU Buffs jump into the AP Top 25 after season-opening upset win Of the 10 top schools, half were in the Denver metro area, and all 10 were on the Front Range.Eight were charter schools, with only two -- D'Evelyn Junior/Senior High School and Fairview High School -- being traditional public high schools.Denver School of the Arts was listed by U.S. News & World Report as a trad...

Editorial: Jose Ruiz just what the Boston City Council needs

Editorial: Jose Ruiz just what the Boston City Council needs The Boston City Council is at a crossroads as it heads into the Sept. 12 primary. Packed with progressives, there were moves to slash the budget for the Boston Police Department and relations with Mayor Michelle Wu are often contentious as attempts to pull her further to the left did not go to plan.This year’s election has several incumbent progressives being challenged by, if not centrist Democrats, those who don’t see radicalism as a job requirement.One of the best examples is the District 5 race, a seat currently held by Ricardo Arroyo.Arroyo, like several of his colleagues, has made headlines as much for his controversies as his policies.As the Herald reported, earlier this summer Arroyo agreed to pay a $3,000 fine for committing a state ethics violation, for representing his brother in a civil lawsuit involving the city while serving on the City Council.He was also accused in two federal reports of colluding with former U.S. Attorney Rachael Rollins to tip the outco...