4-day workweeks hot as data points to productivity boost

Published Thu, 28 Mar 2024 09:07:27 GMT

4-day workweeks hot as data points to productivity boost The four-day workweek is the latest buzzy workplace trend, with experiments and surveys touting improved employee morale, retention and productivity.In one study of 41 businesses across the U.S. and Canada — the majority with 25 or fewer employees — 40% of employees surveyed said they were less stressed after trying out a shorter workweek. In addition, 60% of employees reported a better work-life balance and 32% said they were less likely to quit, according to a July 2023 report by 4 Day Week Global, a nonprofit that promotes shorter workweeks.ThredUp has seen this play out in-house over the past two years. The online clothing reseller shifted to a four-day week for corporate employees in 2021. Voluntary turnover among that group dropped 55% compared with 2019, and hiring got a boost. Most new hires cited the company’s shorter week as a deciding factor in employment, Natalie Breece, chief people and diversity officer at ThredUp, said by email.Can a shorter workweek do the same for y...

Kailyn loves sports, art, and animals

Kailyn loves sports, art, and animals Kailyn is an easygoing and lovely teenage girl. She is described as athletic and enjoys participating in sports, especially swimming. Kailyn recently expressed an interest in cheerleading and wants to join her school’s squad. She loves animals and aspires to be a veterinarian and wants to be an artist as well.Kailyn attends a school based on a structured learning program for children with emotional needs and does well with the support of an IEP. She attends school regularly and has positive connections with staff and caretakers.Kailyn would do best with in a two-parent family with a father and mother or two mothers. A single mother could also be considered if she has considerable support in her extended family and community. Although it is preferable for the pre-adoptive family to have parenting experience, first time parents could also be considered if they have had appropriate life preparation for meeting the needs of older children. Kailyn’s social worker recommends that she begi...

Low Cut Connie seizing the rock moment

Low Cut Connie seizing the rock moment Low Cut Connie mastermind Adam Weiner is the first to admit that he would’ve had a great time during the ‘70s glitter rock era. But that only makes him more determined to have one right now.“Sometimes I feel like I was born at the wrong time,” Weiner said this week. “But I also feel like I’m here for the perfect moment. I get to be a torch carrier. We have a song called ‘Revolution Rock & Roll,’ where I say that if I don’t preserve it, I don’t deserve it. So many things that came before me were life-sustaining for so many people — and for me, because I found a life through rock and roll and through performance art. This is certainly not something to get into if you want to make a lot of money, or to get into the top echelons of the music business these days. But damn, it is a fun way to live your life.”On a good night, Low Cut Connie can renew your faith in rock — or even on a good morning. This writer caught them at the New Orleans Jazzfest last May, when they had t...

Bradley Cooper’s ‘Maestro’ takes a bow in Venice

Bradley Cooper’s ‘Maestro’ takes a bow in Venice LIDO, Venice, Italy – “Maestro,” Bradley Cooper’s long-aborning Leonard Bernstein biographical drama, world-premiered Saturday night at the Venice Film Festival.Cooper also produced and co-wrote the decades-spanning story of the bisexual musical genius, a celebrated classical conductor and Broadway veteran. The focus is clearly on the complexities of Bernstein’s marriage to the Chilean-born Felicia Montealegre (Carey Mulligan).With its ample sampling of Bernstein’s varied musical compositions and an unusually candid celebrity portrait amid a series of glam settings, “Maestro” looms instantly as the rival of “Oppenheimer” as the year’s most ambitious prestige picture.“I wouldn’t call it a biopic,” Jamie Bernstein, the eldest of the couple’s three children and a character in the film, said during a pre-premiere press conference. “The whole project began many years ago, when the idea was a more straightforward biopic. But Bradley came up with a different idea and he changed the concept...

Solomon: Should gun owners be required to carry liability insurance?

Solomon: Should gun owners be required to carry liability insurance? While scrolling through the latest American gun tragedies, an email popped up that my car insurance was due for renewal.My car insurance protects me against other people, but there’s also a liability aspect that protects other people against me. So, as our minds tend to work, I was rhetorically asking myself why aren’t gun owners required to have liability insurance.The idea of requiring gun owners to carry liability insurance has been a topic of debate for years.Proponents argue that it could incentivize safe practices and reduce incidents of gun violence. However, opponents claim that such a requirement would destroy the gun industry. So, what exactly are the potential implications of mandatory gun liability insurance and its effect on the gun industry? And can this idea help fix the gun violence problem in the United States?One of the main arguments favoring mandatory liability insurance for gun owners is that it would create financial and legal incentives for responsible gun own...

2023 high school football schedules

2023 high school football schedules Schedules were obtained from school websites. Times and dates are subject to change throughout the course of the season.DIV. 1 ACTON-BOXBOROSept. 8 – at Lexington, 6Sept. 14 – at Shrewsbury, 6:30Sept. 22 – Wayland, 6:30Sept. 29 – Waltham, 6:30Oct. 6 – at Bedford, 7Oct. 13 – at Lincoln-Sudbury, 7Oct. 20 – Cambridge, 6:30Oct. 27 – at Concord-Carlisle, 7Nov. 23 – Westford Academy, 10 ANDOVERSept. 8 – Shrewsbury, 7Sept. 15 – at Chelmsford, 7Sept. 22 – at Lowell, 7Sept. 29 – at Methuen, 7Oct. 6 – Brockton, 7Oct. 13 – at Haverhill, 7Oct. 20 – at Central Catholic, 7Oct. 27 – Billerica, 7Nov. 23 – North Andover, 10 ATTLEBOROSept. 8 – at Old Rochester, 6:30Sept. 15 – at Bishop Feehan, 6Sept. 21 – New Bedford, 6Sept. 28 – Milford, 6Oct. 6 – at King Philip, 7Oct. 13 – at Stoughton, 6Oct. 20 – Franklin, 6:30Oct. 27 – at Taunton, 7Nov. 23 – North Attleboro, 10 BC HIGHSept. 8 – LaSalle (RI), 7Sept. 15 – Reading, 7Sept. 22 – at Woburn, 7Sept. 29 – at Everett, 7Oct. 6 – Malden C...

Mom and bonus mom need to meet in person

Mom and bonus mom need to meet in person Q. I’ve been married for a little less than a year to a man who has a son from a previous marriage. The boy is 7 years old and my husband and his ex share custody. We see David every weekend, from Friday after school to Tuesday night after dinner. I take care of him most of the time when he’s at our home and we have a very close relationship.On Sunday we dropped off him off at his mother’s house. I’ve never met her. My husband walked up to the door with his son and they went into the house while I waited in the car. I felt very uncomfortable. Would it have been too aggressive if I got out of the car to meet her? Would it have been more appropriate if my husband introduced me? What’s good ex-etiquette?A. What would have been the best ex-etiquette would have been for your husband to introduce you to his child’s mother when the two of you decided on a future together.That way you could have openly expressed your desire to support both parents in their efforts to make this child’s life ...

BC guard Christian Mahogany the cornerstone of O-Line U

BC guard Christian Mahogany the cornerstone of O-Line U “We’ve got Christian back!”That’s been more of a rallying cry than a statement of fact for the beleaguered Boston College offensive line as they got ready for the 2023 season that kicked off against Northern Illinois on Sept. 2 at Alumni Stadium.Eagles’ guard Christan Mahogany was the only returning starter from the 2021 offensive line that featured consensus first team All-American and first-round draft pick Zion Johnson and All-ACC performers Alec Lindstrom, Ben Petrula and Tyler Vrabel.Mahogany was named a 2022 preseason All-American before things went sideways. Mahogany suffered a torn right ACL while doing an off-campus workout a month after spring ball and missed the 2022 season. Despite not playing a down last year, the AP named Mahogany a second-team preseason All-American.The Eagles began the doomed campaign fielding a young untested offensive line with its anchor on the sidelines. Adding to this promising misadventure was the loss of offensive line coach Matt Applebaum, wh...

Holy Cross set for another run in the FCS playoffs

Holy Cross set for another run in the FCS playoffs WORCESTER – Holy Cross two-time All-American linebacker Jacob Dobbs has unfinished team business to attend to.The Crusaders tore through last season with a campaign unmatched in program history. Holy Cross went undefeated in the regular season, captured its fourth straight Patriot League title and advanced to the quarterfinal round of the FCS playoffs with a school record 12 wins.Dobbs is back for a fifth season at a school that does not have a graduate program because he was more spectator than a participant in last year’s historic run. Holy Cross opened the 2023 season at home against Merrimack on Sept. 2 and has two FBS opponents on its non-league schedule, Boston College and Army.Dobb was the reigning Patriot League Defensive Player of the Year and a safe bet to reclaim that honor headed into week four of the 2022 season.But his run ended at Colgate where he tore the ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow, a situation exacerbated by tears in the triceps and forearm. He wou...

Under-employed ex prefers boyfriend over better job

Under-employed ex prefers boyfriend over better job Q. My soon-to-be-ex wife was a high school math teacher before we had children.  By agreement she stayed home when our twins were born.  She was going to return to teaching when they started school.  Instead, she started volunteering for a non-profit and became employed as their bookkeeper.  Our kids are now seven and we are divorcing.  We agreed to an equal parenting plan so I had to cut back on the overtime I used to work so I can actually parent our boys during my time.My wife continues to do the books for this non-profit for about 30 hours per week for just above minimum wage.  She used to teach in a wealthy town earning triple what she currently earns.  She refuses to return to the classroom.  I recently learned whenever I have our kids, she is in Rhode Island with her new boyfriend working remotely.  I suspect this is why she refuses to discuss going back to teaching.My lawyer says I cannot ask the court to order her to return to teaching.  But, unless she earns more, I will h...