California voters will decide in 2024 on lowering threshold for new taxes, bonds

Published Thu, 28 Mar 2024 10:29:23 GMT

California voters will decide in 2024 on lowering threshold for new taxes, bonds A constitutional amendment that would lower the bar for voters to approve new taxes and bond measures to fund housing and public infrastructure is heading to the 2024 general election ballot after passing the Legislature.California currently requires two-thirds of voters to approve local levies, and local governments have complained for years that the threshold is too high. Berkeley, for example, failed to pass a $650 million bond last year to build affordable housing and repair city infrastructure, despite approval from nearly 60% of voters.The Amendment, ACA-1, would lower the voter threshold on local levies to a 55% voter approval. To pass, it required a two-thirds majority in both houses of the Legislature, which came Thursday on the final day of the current session in Sacramento, with Republicans voting in opposition.The League of California Cities, which lobbied for the change in Sacramento, said that the change will make it easier for cities to address ongoing housing and inf...

Letters: Students’ rights | Free speech | Nearly tragic | Advancing justice | Abortion rights

Letters: Students’ rights | Free speech | Nearly tragic | Advancing justice | Abortion rights Submit your letter to the editor via this form. Read more Letters to the Editor.LGBTQ students’ rightsmust be protectedRe: “Chaos in Sunol after flag ban” (Page A1, Sept 14).Another day brings another assault on the safety of LGBTQ+ youth in our community — this time in the form of removing pride flags from school grounds. It’s part of the broader push to erase LGBTQ+ history from school curricula and to force outings of students to parents under the guise of “parents’ rights.”But it’s not parents’ rights at risk here. It’s the rights of the children in our community that we need to protect. LGBTQ+ youth are overrepresented in the homeless population, and an estimated 25-40% of LGBTQ youth become homeless due to their family’s opposition to their sexual orientation or gender identity.We need our governor and statewide leaders to take swift action to ensure that schools are safe havens for LGBTQ+ youth and not a place that exposes them to further victimi...

Andrew Yang on A.I., Election 2024, and whether he’d run for president again

Andrew Yang on A.I., Election 2024, and whether he’d run for president again (KRON) -- Now to a name and face familiar to many of us in the Bay Area: Andrew Yang. He ran for president back in 2020 on the platform of universal basic income.Yang is now a best-selling author and co-chair of The Forward Party. He discusses his new book, thoughts on artificial intelligence, and the 2024 presidential election. Watch the full interview in the video player above.

Angels put Mickey Moniak, Mike Moustakas on injured list; recall Jordyn Adams, Kyren Paris

Angels put Mickey Moniak, Mike Moustakas on injured list; recall Jordyn Adams, Kyren Paris ANAHEIM, Calif. (AP) — The Los Angeles Angels have put outfielder Mickey Moniak and infielder Mike Moustakas on the 10-day injured list.The Angels also recalled outfielder Jordyn Adams and infielder Kyren Paris on Friday ahead of their series opener against Detroit.Moniak and Moustakas have a chance to return for the final week of the regular season before the moves are retroactive to Thursday.Moniak has back tightness that has kept him out of the Angels’ lineup since Sept. 5. The former No. 1 overall pick’s production has slowed in recent weeks after his breakout summer, but Moniak is still batting .280 with 13 homers, 43 RBIs and a .797 OPS.Moustakas has a left forearm strain. The 13-year major league veteran is batting .243 with eight homers and 30 RBIs in 61 games while becoming a fan favorite in his first chance to play in his native Los Angeles area.Adams and Paris were both assigned to Triple-A Salt Lake on Thursday when the Angels recalled veterans Jared Walsh an...

Hawaii officials say additional DNA analysis lowered confirmed death count in Maui wildfire from 115 to 97

Hawaii officials say additional DNA analysis lowered confirmed death count in Maui wildfire from 115 to 97 WAILUKU, Hawaii (AP) — Hawaii officials say additional DNA analysis lowered confirmed death count in Maui wildfire from 115 to 97.Source

¿Qué pasó con los ovnis esta semana en México y Estados Unidos?

¿Qué pasó con los ovnis esta semana en México y Estados Unidos? (CNN Español) — La discusión en torno a los fenómenos aéreos anómalos no identificados (FANI, por sus siglas), antes conocidos como objetos voladores no identificados (ovnis), se avivó esta semana, después de que el periodista y ufólogo Jaime Maussan presentara ante el Congreso mexicano supuestos restos de “seres no humanos”, y un nuevo informe independiente propusiera a la NASA utilizar satélites y otros instrumentos para buscar más información sobre los fenómenos.El 12 de septiembre, la Cámara de Diputados de México albergó una audiencia pública para la regulación de los FANI, en la que participó  Maussan, director del programa televisivo “Tercer Milenio”, y un afamado divulgador de la temática desde la década de 1990.Previo juramento de decir la verdad al iniciar la audiencia, Maussan presentó dos cuerpos íntegros disecados de seres no humanos con unos mil años de antigüedad que habrían sido encontrados en 2017 en localidades de Cusco, Perú. Añadió que éstos hab...

Philadelphia’s 34-28 win over Minnesota sets record as most-streamed NFL game

Philadelphia’s 34-28 win over Minnesota sets record as most-streamed NFL game LOS ANGELES (AP) — Amazon Prime Video’s second season of “Thursday Night Football” got off to a record start as the most-streamed NFL game in history.Philadelphia’s 34-28 victory over Minnesota averaged 15.1 million viewers according to Nielsen’s ratings, surpassing the 13 million from last year’s first game between the Los Angeles Chargers and the Kansas City Chiefs.Another metric, using Amazon’s first-party data, puts the average audience at 16.6 million, up from 15.3 million for last year’s opener.There were times last year when the Nielsen and Amazon data had audience differences of 15-18%. Nielsen had considered some of Amazon’s data in its rating report until TV networks voiced its objections.Hans Schroeder, executive vice president of NFL Media, said earlier this week one of the league’s major objectives is identifying the most accurate measurement of viewership.“The fact that streaming platforms enable better data capture we th...

Andy Murray cries and dedicates Davis Cup match win to grandmother after missing her funeral

Andy Murray cries and dedicates Davis Cup match win to grandmother after missing her funeral MANCHESTER, England (AP) — Three-time Grand Slam winner Andy Murray wept Friday after revealing he missed his grandmother’s funeral to play in the Davis Cup Finals.Murray came from behind to beat Leandro Riedi 6-7 (7), 6-4, 6-4 and give Britain a winning start in its 2-1 victory over Switzerland in the group stage of the finals on Friday.The Scottish player needed more than 3 hours to beat Riedi and was overcome by emotion toward the end of his subsequent on-court interview.“Today is a tough day for me. It’s my gran’s funeral today,” Murray said. “I’m sorry to my family that I’m not able to be there but, gran, this one’s for you.”Murray then returned to his bench and wept under his towel as he was applauded by the Manchester spectators.The 36-year-old Murray later said he spoke to his father about whether he should play or not, “and he said that she’d want you to play. He just said ‘Make sure you win,’ so I did.”Stan Wawrinka defeated Cameron Norrie 7-5, 6-4 to level the tie, but Da...

Ashton Kutcher resigns as chair of anti-sex abuse organization after Danny Masterson letter

Ashton Kutcher resigns as chair of anti-sex abuse organization after Danny Masterson letter LOS ANGELES (AP) — Ashton Kutcher has resigned as chairman of the board of an anti-child sex abuse organization that he co-founded, after he and wife Mila Kunis wrote letters seeking leniency for their former “That ’70s Show” co-star and convicted rapist, Danny Masterson.Kutcher stepped down from the board of Thorn, an organization he founded with then-wife Demi Moore in 2009, on Thursday, the group said in a statement.“After my wife and I spent several days of listening, personal reflection, learning, and conversations with survivors and the employees and leadership at Thorn, I have determined the responsible thing for me to do is resign as Chairman of the Board, effectively immediately,” Kutcher wrote in a letter to the board. “I cannot allow my error in judgment to distract from our efforts and the children we serve.”A Los Angeles judge sentenced Masterson to 30 years to life in prison on Sept. 7. The actor was convicted in May of raping two women in 2003, when he was starr...

Who killed Adam Fresquez? Protesters demand answers from police

Who killed Adam Fresquez? Protesters demand answers from police EDGEWATER, Colo. (KDVR) — The family of 33-year-old Adam Fresquez, a man shot and killed outside of a Tesla charging station in May, gathered outside of the Edgewater Police Department to protest the police investigation into his death.The significance of protesting Friday is that Sept. 15 marks the first day of Latinx Heritage Month. Fresquez’s family and loved ones gathered outside of Edgewater Police Department Friday morning calling for justice and more transparency in the case of his death. 18-year-old arrested after nearly hitting 20 children near Aurora park Adam's brother, Mario Fresquez, and community activists went inside the station to try and speak with the chief. But their offices were closed, despite posted hours stating they would be open."They knew we were going to be here. Why are they closed? The hours on the door say they close at noon. It's 10:30. Where are they?” Mario said regarding the offices being closed.FOX31 reached out to police for a response.Unfortuna...