OPINIÓN | Critiqué la guerra en Gaza. Luego me despidieron de mi trabajo como Santa Claus

Published Thu, 28 Mar 2024 23:17:09 GMT

OPINIÓN | Critiqué la guerra en Gaza. Luego me despidieron de mi trabajo como Santa Claus Nota del editor: Ken Dorph es un consultor que vive en Sag Harbor, Nueva York. Las opiniones expresadas en este comentario son exclusivas de su autor.(CNN) — El año pasado me invitaron a ser Santa Claus en el Sag Harbor Cinema, el renovado cine art déco de la pintoresca ciudad ballenera de Sag Harbor, Nueva York. Llevo más de 30 años residiendo en este pequeño pueblo; he descubierto que el ADN ballenero de Sag Harbor y su carácter luchador e independiente va bien conmigo. Desde Betty Friedan hasta John Steinbeck, este pequeño lugar ha acogido a toda una serie de artistas, intelectuales y pensadores independientes.Me encantó ser Santa Claus y me dijeron que tenía un talento innato. Me encantaba charlar con los niños y me metía de lleno en el papel. Siempre les decía que Santa Claus sabía que eran muy buenos niños o niñas. Intentaba ser un Santa Claus inclusivo. Cuando los elfos me trajeron a la hija pequeña del rabino local, le dije que Santa Claus quería a todo el mundo. Tuvi...

Se enamoraron en la nieve y ahora ella es una embajadora de Argentina en internet

Se enamoraron en la nieve y ahora ella es una embajadora de Argentina en internet (CNN Español) — Sarah Lindauer tenía 22 años y había terminado la universidad un año atrás. En ese momento, los días se hacían largos para la joven creadora de contenidos estadounidense.La sola idea de pensar en establecerse en un trabajo convencional agobiaba su mente. Sarah le dijo a CNN que sentía como si padeciera el “síndrome del impostor, como si tuviera miedo, como si no fuera capaz de hacerlo”.Aunque le daba miedo, siguió adelante. Igual que otros recién graduados en su natal Denver, Colorado, decidió emprender una aventura que hoy define como “fortalecedora y de autodescubrimiento” en el extranjero.“Compré un boleto de ida a Nueva Zelandia, sin saber qué me esperaba”, recuerda con asombro, casi como si lo viviera otra vez.La tierra de los kiwis, Islandia y Australia fueron su hogar mientras duró su visa de trabajo y vacaciones. También fueron las chispas que encendieron aún más su pasión por los viajes y un estilo de vida alejado de una oficina donde el re...

Three-legged dog in East Brookfield gets new lease on life thanks to shelter, local brewery

Three-legged dog in East Brookfield gets new lease on life thanks to shelter, local brewery A three-legged dog in East Brookfield is now living the high life thanks to a shelter and a local brewery. The dog, Nugget, was first taken in by Second Chance Animal Services with a severe injury. Second Chance was able to get Nugget the medical attention he needed. Treatment, though, came at the cost of one of his legs. “We had hoped we were going to be able to save the leg,” said Second Chance’s Lindsay Doray. “But, due to the amount of pain that he was in, we knew that this would alleviate the pain.”Doray said staff knew Nugget would also learn to “get along just fine” without his leg, given his young age at the time. During his recovery process, Nugget was placed up for adoption. His future owners ended up being just down the street at Timberyard Brewing Company, where owner Matt Zarif and his wife had experience with dogs like Nugget. “My wife came to me and had seen the story about Nugget on the Second Chance website — ‘Can we get another three-legge...

Celtics finish impressive West Coast trip with convincing Christmas Day win over Lakers

Celtics finish impressive West Coast trip with convincing Christmas Day win over Lakers When the Celtics lost against the Warriors on the road last December, it set off a rare losing stretch that exposed their flaws and showed how vulnerable they could be after a hot start to the season.Under similar circumstances this season, history has not repeated itself.Instead, the Celtics have responded with three consecutive convincing victories that have shown how far they have come, and help illustrate why they’re better suited to win a championship this season. After back-to-back dominant wins over the Kings and Clippers, the Celtics continued to display their growth in front of a national audience with an impressive 126-115 Christmas Day victory over the rival Lakers to finish a fantastic road trip.Jayson Tatum (25 points) and Jaylen Brown (19 points) did not have big shooting nights in this win but as they’ve shown through the first third of the season, that’s not required for the Celtics to have success. Tatum had a season-high seven assists. Kristaps Porzingis returned f...

Robbins: Congress preps probe of taxpayer funds for Hamas

Robbins: Congress preps probe of taxpayer funds for Hamas It emerged over the weekend that the House Foreign Affairs Committee plans to investigate the use of American taxpayers’ dollars to fund the Murder, Incorporated that is Hamas. With the revelations that billions of donor dollars that were supposed to be used for humanitarian aid for Gazans have instead been diverted to construct a network of terror tunnels spanning several hundred miles, it’s clear that such an investigation is long overdue. And while they complain with justification that the last year in Congress has been utterly dysfunctional, Democrats ought to join the Republicans who are initiating the investigation, and make it a fully bipartisan one.When it comes to the Mideast, U.N. agencies have modeled moral rot for decades, so investigating the UN looking for corruption and the abetting of terror is shooting fish in a barrel. The Committee intends to focus on UNRWA, the United Nations Relief and Works Agency, which is in charge of aiding Palestinian refugees in Gaza. In p...

Victoria Police Chief recounts busy Christmas Eve for officers, one hit with vomit

Victoria Police Chief recounts busy Christmas Eve for officers, one hit with vomit VICTORIA — The chief of police in Victoria, B.C., says his officers had a busy Christmas Eve, but the holiday season didn’t exactly bring good tidings of great joy for one officer on a city bus. Victoria police Chief Del Manak says one officer was hit with a cup of vomit as they attempted to take a passenger off a bus. Manak’s social media post on X, formerly known as Twitter, says another officer had to use a Taser on a man who wouldn’t leave a store.The chief says his officers also had to arrest a woman in downtown Victoria who was allegedly trying to pop the tires on 20 vehicles. Manak says the evening wasn’t all bad though after one officer found a Tim Hortons gift card on his car upon returning to his police cruiser after responding to a call downtown. The chief says it was a silver lining to an otherwise busy Christmas Eve as officers worked to keep the streets safe for Santa’s arrival. This report by The Canadian Press was first published Dec. 25...

Chicagoans hit the lakefront during the city's second warmest Christmas on record

Chicagoans hit the lakefront during the city's second warmest Christmas on record CHICAGO — It was far from a white Christmas, but there was still plenty of holiday cheer along Chicago's lakefront.On Monday, families gathered as they looked to take advantage of one of the city's warmest Christmases on record. According to Tom Skilling, Monday's warmer-than-usual temperatures were one for the record books. Skilling said it was the second warmest Christmas in Chicago. The warmest on record was back in 1982 when temperatures reached 65 degrees.  Police offer warning to Bridgeport residents after string of garage burglaries “I’m surprised because the weather today is very nice," Lazaro Dixon, who is visiting from Orlando, said. Families looking to spend time together for the holiday traded snow for sand and made their way to Chicago's North Avenue Beach. Others who were looking to take advantage of the mild temperatures hit the lakefront for a run or to get a view of the water. Pope Francis makes a Christmas appeal for peace in the world “It’s nice...

‘Vato Claus’ gives gifts to kids in need on Christmas Day

‘Vato Claus’ gives gifts to kids in need on Christmas Day BASTROP (KXAN) — The Bastrop pastor who built mini-shelters on his property for families experiencing homelessness, has once again provided the gift of giving on Christmas.For the 11th consecutive year, Roland Nava handed out hundreds of gifts and grocery boxes to families in need for his annual ‘Vato Claus’ distribution event. ‘Vato Claus’ prepares to deliver gifts to Bastrop County families as need rises The founder of In The Streets-Hands Up High Ministry was joined by 18 volunteers, who spent their Christmas Day driving and delivering packages throughout Bastrop County."We can spend Christmas tomorrow with our family,” Nava said. “Today we choose to be together, going out to share the love of Christmas and they love doing it."Nancy Horn attends the HUH Ministry and regularly volunteers her time for this event."My children are grown,” she said. “I've already spent time with them so that I could do this today.”Nava was inspired by a friend of his, Richard Reyes, who’s been patro...

Mother, daughter take tie-dye loungewear to the next level

Mother, daughter take tie-dye loungewear to the next level AUSTIN (KXAN) — When times got tough during the pandemic one local mom turned a love for getting creative into a business, and so far, it had continued to expand.Melissa Thaxton said her daughter Mila was her inspiration and drive to be successful in the business."Some of the pink in here,” said Melissa, as she helped Mila tie-dye some hoodies. “Do blue over here.”On the day KXAN interviewed her, she was tie dying a number of pullovers with Mila right by her side."Having her do stuff with me and the older that she gets and the more that our brand evolves it has been so much fun,” Melissa said.Melissa started Mila and Me a few years ago as a creative outlet, but creating fun and trendy loungewear became much more than that when more and more people started asking her to collaborate."I am constantly out with people going to events, working events, building new relationships, new partnerships in the city, especially being from here,” said Melissa.This Austin entrepreneur, full time mom...

Jamal Murray scores 28, Nikola Jokic sinks 18 free throws to lead Nuggets to Christmas Day win over Warriors

Jamal Murray scores 28, Nikola Jokic sinks 18 free throws to lead Nuggets to Christmas Day win over Warriors The Nuggets used a career game at the foul line by Nikola Jokic, key buckets from Jamal Murray down the stretch and tenacious defense by Kentavious Caldwell-Pope to wrap up a 120-114 Christmas Day victory over Golden State.But from the point of view of Warriors coach Steve Kerr, the Nuggets’ victory was gift-wrapped by an inordinate number of cheap fouls.“I have no problems with officials themselves. All across the league, we have really good officials,” Kerr said after the Nuggets made 26 of 32 free throws, including an 18-of-18 by Jokic in a game where he shot an ugly 4 of 12 from the floor. The 18 made free throws were a career-high.“I have a problem with the way we are legislating defense out of the game,” Kerr continued. “That’s what we’re doing in the NBA. The way we’re teaching officials, we’re just enabling players to BS their way to the foul line. If I were a fan, I wouldn’t have wanted to watch the second ha...