2032 Olympics backers confirm main Brisbane stadium will be demolished and rebuilt for the Games

Published Thu, 28 Mar 2024 22:40:56 GMT

2032 Olympics backers confirm main Brisbane stadium will be demolished and rebuilt for the Games BRISBANE, Australia (AP) — The cricket stadium that Brisbane Olympics backers pitched as the centerpiece venue for the 2032 Summer Games is set to be demolished and rebuilt.Queensland state’s Deputy Premier Steven Miles on Friday confirmed the 2.7 billion Australian dollar (US$1.8 billion) redevelopment of the stadium, widely known as the Gabba, would go ahead after the government accepted a project validation report.Miles said the project would increase the seating capacity of the stadium to 50,000 and connect the Gabba, which has been the state’s cricket headquarters for more than a century, with a new underground rail station. A local primary school will be relocated to make way for the stadium’s bigger footprint. Cricket teams and the Brisbane Lions, a leading club in the Australian Football League, will also be temporarily relocated during the building phase.Miles said construction would take four years, starting after the Gabba hosts an Ashes cricket test against England...

Seahawks can’t overcome shaky first half, get humbled in 31-13 loss to 49ers

Seahawks can’t overcome shaky first half, get humbled in 31-13 loss to 49ers SEATTLE (AP) — Facing a tough division opponent on a short week, the Seattle Seahawks couldn’t afford to be sloppy, ineffective or get off to a slow start.That’s exactly what happened for the first 30 minutes of Thursday night’s 31-13 loss to San Francisco that once again showed the gulf that remains between the 49ers and the rest of the NFC West.“The first half of this game, we couldn’t get out of our own way enough,” Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said.It was a humbling defeat that left Seattle (6-5) two games behind the first-place 49ers after dropping three of its last four. And it was the Seahawks’ fourth straight loss to the Niners, including the playoffs last season, with only one of those games decided by one score. It also had some of Seattle’s leaders calling out teammates afterward to make changes and make them quickly.“I think everybody needs to go look at themselves and have a reality check with themselves and ask themselves if they’re playing with the passion ...

What does the cease-fire between Israel and Hamas look like?

What does the cease-fire between Israel and Hamas look like? TEL AVIV, Israel (AP) — A temporary cease-fire agreement to facilitate the release of dozens of people taken hostage during Hamas’ raid on Israel is expected to bring the first respite to war-weary Palestinians in Gaza and a glimmer of hope to the families of the captives.After hitting a last-minute snag, the deal took effect Friday, a day later than originally planned. Under its terms, Israel and Hamas agreed to a four-day halt in hostilities. Palestinian prisoners held by Israel would also be freed as part of the agreement.The deal was brokered by Qatar, the U.S. and Egypt and announced on Wednesday. It capped weeks of fitful indirect negotiations and set the stage for a tense period that could determine the course of the war, which was set off by Hamas’ Oct. 7 raid.Israel, Hamas and Qatar have released different details of the agreement, but those details do not appear to contradict one another.WHAT’S IN THE DEAL?Qatar announced that 50 hostages will be released in exchange...

Israel-Hamas cease-fire begins, amid plans for release of hostages

Israel-Hamas cease-fire begins, amid plans for release of hostages The first captives held by the Palestinian militant group Hamas are set to be released on Friday afternoon as part of a prisoner exchange, as a four-day cease-fire deal with Israel came into effect at 7 a.m. local time (6 a.m. CET).The BBC reported that what appeared to be Israeli strikes on Gaza could still sporadically be heard until around 7:15 a.m., but that the truce held thereafter.The cease-fire will also allow aid to enter Gaza. The first fuel trucks entered the enclave from the Rafah border crossing with Egypt shortly after the pause in fighting began, local media reported.On Thursday evening, a spokesperson for the Qatari foreign ministry — which acted as an intermediary to help broker the cease-fire deal, together with the United States and Egypt — announced the first hostages would be released by Hamas at around 4 p.m. local time (3 p.m. CET) on Friday.“They will be 13 in number, all women and children and those hostages from the same families will be put together ...

Bon Green Friday à tous !

Bon Green Friday à tous ! Notre newsletter quotidienne sur les enjeux de lobbying et de transparence en France.Par AURORE GORIUSAvec ALEXANDRE LÉCHENET et ÉLISA BRAUN Infos, tuyaux et mini-drames à partager ? Ecrivez à Océane Herrero, Aurore Gorius, Alexandre Léchenet et Paul de Villepin | Voir dans votre navigateurLE MENU DU JOUR— Sus au Black Friday : Béchu tient bon malgré les critiques.— Les états généraux de l’information hackés par des députés.— À la source de l’influence marocaine au Parlement européen.Bonjour à toutes et à tous, ami lecteur rassure-toi, les tickets-restaurant pourront toujours servir à payer pâtes, riz, œufs et autres denrées alimentaires — mêmes celles pas directement consommables — au supermarché. Ce régime dérogatoire, qui devait expirer au 31 décembre, devrait bien être prolongé pendant toute l’année 2024, après le large vote positif des députés hier, et en attendant celui des sénateurs.Ils mangeront des nouilles. L’inflation, qui reste élevée, a sans (aucun) doute...

Commission welcomes political agreement on automated data exchange for police co-operation

Commission welcomes political agreement on automated data exchange for police co-operation The security of those living in Europe is a key priority for the Commission. To fight crime effectively, law enforcement authorities need to be able to exchange data in a timely manner.Today, the Commission welcomes the political agreement reached by the European Parliament and the Council on the Regulation on automated data exchange for police cooperation (Prüm II). This agreement revises the existing Prüm framework, a cornerstone of EU police cooperation and a core element of the EU's framework to enhance security in the European Union.By revising the existing Prüm framework, this agreement will upgrade law enforcement tools to fight crime.The Prüm framework has proven instrumental in solving many crimes in Europe. Exchanges under the Prüm framework are used on a daily basis by the police for identifying criminals, and for the fight against organised crime, drugs, terrorism, sexual exploitation, trafficking of human beings and other criminal activities. This framework is now being...

Dear Abby: All these women want to date me, and I don’t know what to do

Dear Abby: All these women want to date me, and I don’t know what to do DEAR ABBY: Three months ago, I lost my dear, loving wife (the best part of me) to cancer, COVID-19, pneumonia and heart problems. We had a great marriage, not perfect, but the happiest times of our lives.Related ArticlesAdvice | Dear Abby: How can I get my wife to give my car keys back? Advice | Dear Abby: I’m dreading talking to this girl’s parents about the cheek situation Advice | Dear Abby: I’m on the verge of blowing up at my boss over my unofficial duties Advice | Dear Abby: The bride has no room for all the gifts she wants Advice | Dear Abby: They dated for a month, and now she’s threatening to reveal his private business We were together 40 years, rearing a blended family of four children. Seven grandchildren and four great-grandchildren followed.In disbelief, carrying a burden of grief, sorrow and pain, I am lonely and alone — but it is getting lighter with each pas...

Single family residence sells for $2.1 million in San Jose

Single family residence sells for $2.1 million in San Jose 1758 Comstock Lane – Google Street ViewA 1,622-square-foot house built in 1962 has changed hands. The property located in the 1700 block of Comstock Lane in San Jose was sold on Nov. 6, 2023, for $2,055,000, or $1,267 per square foot. This single-story house offers a capacious living environment with its four bedrooms and two baths. Inside, there is a fireplace. In addition, the house includes a two-car garage, offering generous space for vehicles and storage requirements. The property’s backyard also includes both a spa and a pool.Additional houses have recently been purchased nearby:In July 2023, a 1,765-square-foot home on Hudson Drive in San Jose sold for $2,100,000, a price per square foot of $1,190. The home has 4 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms.A 1,496-square-foot home on the 2500 block of Dumbarton Avenue in San Jose sold in October 2023, for $1,850,000, a price per square foot of $1,237. The home has 4 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms.On Raleigh Drive, San Jose, in March 2023, a 1,573-squ...

Experience Black Friday at Barceló Hotels

Experience Black Friday at Barceló Hotels You can benefit from unprecedented promotions at Barceló Hotels for Black Friday 2023. Guests can access discounts of up to 55% in all hotels in the Barceló chain. This year, at Barcelo.com, owners launched offers on hotels for Black Friday at the best-guaranteed price so that you can have great experiences.About Barceló Chain OfferThese hotels and resorts in the Canary Islands, Barcelona, Dubai, Andalusia, or Madrid, among other destinations, have the most considerable discount of 2023 this Black Friday, so you can enjoy them with up to 40% off. + 15% EXTRA with code 23BH15 until November 29, 2023, and traveling until December 2024.If you want to disconnect and relax without worrying about anything, once again, Barceló Hotel Group makes it easy for you with the best Black Friday hotel and resort deals for 2023. Discover the most exclusive discounts throughout the year and enjoy your vacations in all available destinations.Remember that by booking as a Barceló customer, you get the ...

Nissan confirms future of Sunderland factory with government support

Nissan confirms future of Sunderland factory with government support LONDON — Japanese carmaker Nissan has committed to building three new electric vehicle models in the north east of England in a major boost to Britain’s automotive sector.The long-term commitment by Nissan is expected to be backed by government support.Prime Minister Rishi Sunak said Nissan’s investment was a “massive vote of confidence in the U.K.’s automotive industry.” Sky News reported earlier this week that Sunak had been personally involved in discussions with Nissan.The company announced on Friday that it will build new electric Qashqai, Juke and LEAF models at its factory in Sunderland, which will also be supplied by an additional battery gigafactory and electricity grid infrastructure.Taken together, the plans represent £2 billion of investment and protect 7,000 direct British jobs, Nissan said.The overall sum of government support for the project was not disclosed on Friday, but will include £15 million for a research center in Bedfordshire and the creation of a North East...