No. 8 Texas survives Smith's big day to beat Houston 31-24

Published Thu, 28 Mar 2024 10:26:01 GMT

No. 8 Texas survives Smith's big day to beat Houston 31-24 AUSTIN (KXAN) — The No. 8 Texas Longhorns held off quarterback Donovan Smith and the Houston offense to escape with a 31-24 Saturday at TDECU Stadium.On third-and-1 from the 10-yard line with 1:20 left, Houston running back Stacy Sneed looked as if he made the line to gain, the 9-yard line, for a first down. However, the officials spotted him a half-yard short to set up a fourth down. Smith had been terrific the whole game, and on the pivotal play, his pass to Stephon Johnson fell incomplete and Texas took over with 1:03 left.Texas wide receiver Adonai Mitchell, right, celebrates after his touchdown with Gunnar Helm, left, during the first half of an NCAA college football game against Houston, Saturday, Oct. 21, 2023, in Houston. (AP Photo/Eric Christian Smith)Texas running back Savion Red (17) celebrates after his touchdown during the first half of an NCAA college football game against Houston, Saturday, Oct. 21, 2023, in Houston. (AP Photo/Eric Christian Smith)Texas quarterback Qu...

Women’s hockey: No. 2 Ohio State sweeps away St. Thomas

Women’s hockey: No. 2 Ohio State sweeps away St. Thomas After opening the season 4-0 with non-conference sweeps of Franklin Pierce and Lindenwood, reality has set in for the St. Thomas women’s hockey team. Playing in the daunting WCHA will do that.Ohio State, the nation’s No. 2 team, completed a weekend sweep of the Tommies on Saturday at St. Thomas Ice Arena with a 7-1 victory. The Buckeyes beat St. Thomas 6-2 on Friday.Having lost their first two conference games of the season the previous weekend to the No. 4 Gophers, the Tommies have now been outscored 25-3 in WCHA play.Next up, a weekend series against No. 1 Wisconsin, with the first game Friday night in Mendota Heights.“I think (assistant coaches) Bethany Brausen and Marty Sertich said it better than I did in the dressing room,” St. Thomas head coach Joel Johnson said. “Nobody is feeling sorry for us, so we’re not going to do that for ourselves.“This is what we signed up for. This is exciting, but it’s also really hard right now. But is anything worth doing that isn’t hard at the b...

Looking for more, Wild make some tweaks ahead of Saturday’s game

Looking for more, Wild make some tweaks ahead of Saturday’s game The Wild started Saturday’s game against the Columbus Blue Jackets looking for more, a testament to the team’s ambitions despite early injury issues that have been exacerbated by the fact Minnesota has almost zero salary cap space.They started the 7 p.m. puck drop at Xcel Energy Center with a 2-2-0 record, roughly $10,000 in cap space and injuries to captain Jared Spurgeon, second-line wing Matt Boldy and veteran blue liner Alex Goligoski.Before Saturday’s game, head coach Dean Evason said that in general, he and his staff have liked the way the team has played early, even in a 7-3 loss to the Los Angeles Kings in which they lost a 2-1, first period lead in the span of about 10 minutes, and that got out of hand with two empty-net goals late.“We want to continue to stay positive about the way we’re playing,” Evason said. “But having said all that, you need the results, too, and we haven’t got the exact results that we want.”It’s also early, and inconsistencies tend to go line to line...

Area college football: Tommies’ ground game buries Stetson with 378 yards in 38-6 rout

Area college football: Tommies’ ground game buries Stetson with 378 yards in 38-6 rout Hope Adebayo rushed for 197 yards and two touchdowns on 19 carries, and St. Thomas finished with 378 yards on the ground, the most since moving up to Division I competition, as the Tommies rolled over Stetson 38-6 in a Pioneer Football League game Saturday in Deland, Fla.It was a big performance for St. Thomas coming off last week’s humbling, and surprising, 52-21 loss at Drake.The Tommies improved to 5-3 overall and 4-1 in the PFL. Stetson fell to 3-4, 1-3.The dominant performance by Adebayo, a junior from Inver Grove Heights, ended his nine-game slump of not reaching 100 yards in a game. His biggest run went for a 67-yard touchdown in the first half.Amari Powell, making his first start at quarterback since the Sept. 16 loss at Harvard, completed eight passes for 88 yards and two touchdowns as the Tommies rolled up 466 yards of offense.Gustavus Adolphus 38, St. John’s 35George Sandven completed 25 of 37 passes for 353 yards and three touchdowns to lift the Gusties to a ...

Gophers find a way to beat Iowa, 12-10, to grab Floyd of Rosedale trophy

Gophers find a way to beat Iowa, 12-10, to grab Floyd of Rosedale trophy IOWA CITY, Iowa — It was far from pretty and completely chaotic, but the Gophers finally ended their long and painful losing streak to the Iowa Hawkeyes on Saturday at Kinnick Stadium.The Gophers were desperately holding onto a three-point win when they punted to Cooper DeJean with less than 90 seconds remaining.Minnesota defensive back Justin Walley (5) celebrates his interception with defensive back Tre’Von Jones (2) during the second half of an NCAA college football game against Iowa, Saturday, Oct. 21, 2023, in Iowa City, Iowa. Minnesota won 12-10. (AP Photo/Matthew Putney)DeJean returned it 54 yards for a touchdown, but officials called it back for an invalid fair catch signal. Fans booed and threw debris on the field.Iowa got the ball back, but Justin Walley’s interception sealed a 12-10 win for Minnesota and Gophers players raced to the north end zone to find the Floyd of Rosedale rivalry trophy.Minnesota (4-3, 2-2 Big Ten) hadn’t won in Iowa City since 1999. No. 24 Iow...

Cody Schrader's big game lifts Mizzou to homecoming win, 34-12 over South Carolina

Cody Schrader's big game lifts Mizzou to homecoming win, 34-12 over South Carolina COLUMBIA, Mo. (AP) - Cody Schrader ran for 159 yards and two touchdowns and No. 20 Missouri sacked Spencer Rattler six times in a 34-12 victory over South Carolina on Saturday.Missouri (7-1, 3-1 Southeastern Conference) has seven victories in its first eight games for the first time since 2013.Brady Cook completed 14 of 24 passes for 198 yards and a touchdown and ran for another score, and Luther Burden III caught four passes for 90 yards and a TD.Rattler completed 23 of 40 passes for 217 yards, and South Carolina kicker Mitch Jeter converted four of five field goals.After South Carolina (2-5, 1-4) cut it to 24-12 with 10:31 left on Jeter's goal, Schrader sealed it with an 11-yard touchdown run with 2:46 to go.Cook capped an 87-yard drive with a 17-yard rushing touchdown, and Harrison Mevis hit a 21-yard field goal in the second quarter to give Missouri a 24-0 lead. Jeter spoiled the shutout with a 51-yard field goal with 31 seconds left in the half.Schrader had 10-yard touchdown ru...

Class 5A Softball: Chatfield uses seven-run fourth to charge past Erie and claim first title since 1997

Class 5A Softball: Chatfield uses seven-run fourth to charge past Erie and claim first title since 1997 AURORA — It wasn’t often the Chatfield softball team found itself in tight, one-run games during the 2023 season. Even when it was in those sorts of games, one inning was enough to blow it open.On Saturday in the Class 5A championship at a bustling Aurora Sports Park, the Chargers did exactly that. Chatfield erupted for seven runs in the fourth inning and never looked back against 12-time title winner Erie, sealing its first title since 1997 in an 11-3 win.Chargers senior Karlie Cooledge was instrumental on both the mound and the plate. She drove in four RBIs on a pair of hits, including a back-breaking double in the fourth to make it 6-1, after she also reached first base earlier in the inning on an error to drive in the team’s first two runs.Chatfield Chargers pitcher Karlie Coolidge (12) pitching against the Eerie Tigers in the 5th inning during the Colorado State 5A softball championship game at the Aurora Sports Park October 21, 2023. (Photo by Andy Cross/The ...

Santa Barbara Main Jail inmate dead after apparent suicide

Santa Barbara Main Jail inmate dead after apparent suicide A male inmate at the Main Jail in Santa Barbara is dead after an apparent suicide on Saturday. According to a Santa Barbara County Sheriff’s Office news release, at approximately 6:20 a.m., while conducting inmate checks, jail staff found an inmate who was unresponsive in his cell When they entered the cell, they found a piece of linen tied around the inmate’s neck. Medical staff and paramedics responded to the scene and performed life-saving measures, but the inmate did not recover and was pronounced dead at 6:30 p.m. Although it appears to be an apparent suicide, authorities are conducting a thorough investigation to determine the cause and manner of the inmate’s death. The inmate’s identity has not been released, pending notification to his next-of-kin.

How toy and game companies are winning back their grown-up former customers

How toy and game companies are winning back their grown-up former customers New York (CNN) — I was on vacation and hanging out quietly in the hotel room with my friend when, out of nowhere, she screamed “Zoo Pals are back!”We immediately tried to buy some. But to our misfortune, they were sold out. For days we refreshed the page to see if they were back in stock. Sure enough, I got my Zoo Pals a few weeks later.I’m almost embarrassed to share that Zoo Pals are paper plates that feature the bright, adorable faces of animals like pigs, turtles, ducks and whales. Each plate has one main section and two subsections for the animal’s ears or feet. In 2014, Hefty, the maker of Zoo Pals, discontinued them.As a child, Zoo Pals were a game-changer. That meant broccoli didn’t have to, God forbid, touch my chicken nuggets, and they also provided a special area for dipping the nuggets in ketchup. And I had an incentive to finish my plate so I could see my Zoo Pal’s face again.As an adult, I no longer have such needs. But $6.99 was a small price to pay for a walk down me...

Milroe, No. 11 Alabama stage huge second-half rally, top No. 17 Tennessee 34-20

Milroe, No. 11 Alabama stage huge second-half rally, top No. 17 Tennessee 34-20 TUSCALOOSA, Ala. (AP) — Jalen Milroe passed for two touchdowns, Jihaad Campbell returned a fumble for a score in the fourth quarter and No. 11 Alabama uncorked 27 straight second-half points in rallying for a 34-20 victory over No. 17 Tennessee on Saturday.With its national title hopes on the brink, Alabama (7-1, 5-0 Southeastern Conference) turned in its most dominant half of the season. And it came against a border rival who had helped end ‘Bama’s championship aspirations a year ago.The comeback was fueled by big plays from Milroe and tailback Jase McClellan and a defense that smothered Joe Milton III and the Volunteers (5-2, 2-2) after the half and even provided the decisive TD.Cambell took a scoop-and-score 24 yards midway through the fourth quarter after Chris Braswell knocked the ball loose from Milton.The loss dealt a big blow to the SEC East chances for the Vols, who had built a 20-7 halftime lead with a huge start from Milton. Their chances of a first win in Tuscaloosa in 2...