Nate Ackenhausen shines in his first start and LSU shuts out Tennessee 5-0 at College World Series

Published Thu, 28 Mar 2024 21:03:23 GMT

Nate Ackenhausen shines in his first start and LSU shuts out Tennessee 5-0 at College World Series OMAHA, Neb. (AP) — Jay Johnson texted Nate Ackenhausen at 8:56 a.m. Tuesday to let him know he would make his first start for LSU less than 12 hours later in a game against Tennessee with the Tigers’ season on the line.Ackenhausen said he slept in and didn’t get back to his coach until shortly after 11. “I texted him that I would give it all I’ve got,” the big left-hander said.Ackenhausen did that and then some, pitching six innings and combining with Riley Cooper for the Tigers’ nation-leading 11th shutout of the season, a 5-0 victory in the College World Series.“When you’re on this side of the bracket, you need that,” Johnson said. “If you’re going to do something here, you need a performance like Nate gave us.”LSU (50-16) beat its Southeastern Conference rival for the fourth time in five meetings — and the second time in Omaha — and will play No. 1 national seed Wake Forest on Wednesday night. The Tigers would have to beat the Demon Deacons in ...

Reds push winning streak to 10 with an 8-6 victory over the Rockies

Reds push winning streak to 10 with an 8-6 victory over the Rockies CINCINNATI (AP) — TJ Friedl hit a three-run homer on a four-hit night, rookie Elly De La Cruz added a solo shot and the Cincinnati Reds extended their winning streak to 10 games with an 8-6 victory over the Colorado Rockies on Tuesday night.“I remember what it was like to lose a game,” Friedl said. “That’s why we’re trying to stay as far away from it as possible.”Will Benson had a solo homer in the sixth, helping the NL Central-leading Reds to their longest winning streak since 2012, when they also won 10 straight. De La Cruz had three hits as fans chanted “Elly! Elly!”“We’re very appreciative of the opportunity we have,” Reds manager David Bell said. “We’ve experienced what that feel like and we want to keep it going. What great crowds we’ve had the last two nights that means a lot to our team.”Jorge Alfaro’s three-run homer in the eighth, which bounced off the top of the fence in center, couldn’t keep the Rockies from their seventh straight loss.The Reds scored two run...

Hicks homers and drives in 4 as the Orioles beat the Rays 8-6 after nearly blowing a 7-run lead

Hicks homers and drives in 4 as the Orioles beat the Rays 8-6 after nearly blowing a 7-run lead Baltimore Orioles' Aaron Hicks (34) celebrates with Adam Frazier (12), Austin Hays (21), and Anthony Santander (25) after his three-run home run off Tampa Bay Rays starting pitcher Tyler Glasnow during the first inning of a baseball game Tuesday, June 20, 2023, in St. Petersburg, Fla. (AP Photo/Chris O'Meara)(AP/Chris O'Meara) Baltimore Orioles' Aaron Hicks (34) celebrates with Adam Frazier (12), Austin Hays (21), and Anthony Santander (25) after his three-run home run off Tampa Bay Rays starting pitcher Tyler Glasnow during the first inning of a baseball game Tuesday, June 20, 2023, in St. Petersburg, Fla. (AP Photo/Chris O'Meara)(AP/Chris O'Meara) ST. PETERSURG, Fla. (AP) — Aaron Hicks homered and had four RBIs ...

Contreras has the big hit as the Brewers overcome a 4-run deficit to beat the Diamondbacks 7-5

Contreras has the big hit as the Brewers overcome a 4-run deficit to beat the Diamondbacks 7-5 MILWAUKEE (AP) — William Contreras hit a two-run double in the seventh inning to put Milwaukee ahead for good as the Brewers came back from a four-run deficit to beat the Arizona Diamondbacks 7-5 on Tuesday night.Jesse Winker homered for the first time this season to help the Brewers rally after falling behind 4-0. Ketel Marte went 3 for 5 with a three-run homer and double for the NL-West leading Diamondbacks.The Brewers trailed 5-3 when they began the seventh by loading the bases against Austin Adams without hitting a ball out of the infield.Luis Urías drew a leadoff walk. Blake Perkins then hit a grounder to the right side of the infield, but Marte looked over to second before making the throw to first. That pause enabled Perkins to beat the throw for an infield single.Joey Wiemer then hit a bouncer that went of Adams’ glove. Marte managed to field the ball, but Perkins beat his throw to second. Wiemer’s hit loaded the bases and put the tying run in scoring position.Kyle Nelson in...

RTD rides will be free for 2 months this summer

RTD rides will be free for 2 months this summer DENVER (KDVR) — RTD rides will be free for two months this summer.The Zero Fare for Better Air initiative will be in place through July and August as an effort to reduce ground-level ozone by encouraging transit ridership.“This includes all of our services: bus, light rail, commuter rail, flex ride, an accessory ride,” RTD spokesperson Marta Sipeki said.“And yes, it does include the A Line to the airport, which we've had many questions about that," Sipeki said. 11 new Colorado laws go into effect in July RTD did a one-month free fare initiative last year under the same grant and saw a 20% increase in ridership.When asked about how RTD will keep more people safe during these free months, officials tell FOX31 there will be heightened safety efforts as there were in the free month last year. “We encourage customers to download the Transit Watch app, which can be found on both for Android and Apple products,” Sipeki said. “Any time we see any safety concerns on our router or our syste...

Are July 4th drone shows the wave of the future?

Are July 4th drone shows the wave of the future? DENVER (KDVR) — The company responsible for the Denver Nuggets championship-night drone show is gearing up for a busy July Fourth holiday.HireUAVPro.com is scheduled to perform its drone show as part of Castle Rock’s all-day Independence Day celebration.Tuesday night, the company ran through a test run for an upcoming show in Highland Park, Illinois. CEO Graham Hill said the Denver-based company has been around for almost a decade."The purpose of our business is supposed to be a little less of a carbon footprint," he said. RTD rides will be free for 2 months this summer Hill said during the NBA playoffs, he approached the Metropolitan State University of Denver about using campus space to launch the colorful drone shows, which included an image of at least one Nuggets player.“Yeah, the fact that it all came together,” he said.“We got good weather. We got the Nuggets win. It was — it was perfect. It was absolutely perfect," Hill said.Hill said his company also has landed upcoming g...

Scammers drain money from sealed gift cards

Scammers drain money from sealed gift cards DENVER (KDVR) — Customers in two different parts of the metro area reported buying sealed gift cards that turned out to be worthless.The stores that sold the cards include a Safeway in Denver and a King Soopers in Centennial. Gregory Miller told FOX31 he uses gift cards to purchase things he needs to buy online. “You don’t need a bank account. You can just use the card,” Miller said. 11 new Colorado laws go into effect in July After purchasing two gift cards for $250 at the Safeway store near 20th and Park Avenue, he was shocked to learn they could not be used.“I open the package and I got online and I tried to activate them. They said they couldn’t be activated,” Miller said. One of the cards was issued by eBay. “I found out that someone had completely removed all the money on my eBay card,” Miller said.In April, Alice Boswell bought useless cards at a King Soopers store at 7575 S. University in Centennial. She had paid $100 for each card.“The first card only gave me $1.78 and th...

Bike computer calls 911 after cyclist crashes during 3,000-mile race

Bike computer calls 911 after cyclist crashes during 3,000-mile race DENVER (KDVR) — A Colorado cyclist is in the hospital after a serious crash during a cross-country race for charity. Jeff Conaway lives in Littleton but is part of a Pennsylvania-based cycling team called ZOE International. The eight-man team is competing in Race Across America to raise money to help end child trafficking."The Race Across America is a race that starts in California, ends in Annapolis, Maryland. And what’s unique about this race is once it starts, it never stops until you reach the end. It’s a 24/7 race,” ZOE International general manager Brad Ortenzi said.  Man dies after falling out of boat in Royal Gorge Teams are scheduled to cross the finish line on Friday, just six days after starting. “Each cyclist sprints for about 15 minutes and then the next cyclist takes over and that’s how we go as fast as we do,” Ortenzi said.On Monday, the team was crossing Colorado when Conaway crashed on Highway 160 east of Trinidad.“With the mountains of Colorado, it...

2 shot in SW Miami-Dade, 1 in critical condition; 3 subjects detained

2 shot in SW Miami-Dade, 1 in critical condition; 3 subjects detained Two people were hospitalized after they were shot in Southwest Miami-Dade. One of the victims is now in critical condition. Miami-Dade Police and Fire Rescue arrived at the scene at 10532 SW 176th St., Tuesday afternoon after receiving reports of an active shooter in the area. 7Skyforce hovered over the scene where a large police presence was seen near the homes. According to MDPD, the shooting stemmed from an argument between to groups across the street from each other, along Southwest 177th Street. “Somehow, there was some type of dispute among the two groups, shots rang out, said MDPD Detective Alvaro Zabaleta.People in the neighborhood heard the shots at around 4:14 p.m.“We heard about 15, 16 shots, it could be more,” said a witness. A man and his family ran towards their home when they heard the shots being fire.“When I first got here, they already had the street blocked off,” the man said. “The tape was already up.”According to detec...

Nikolaj Coster-Waldau goes dark in violent “God is a Bullet”

Nikolaj Coster-Waldau goes dark in violent “God is a Bullet” To say that Denmark’s Nikolaj Coster-Waldau embraced the monumental darkness that is Friday’s extremely violent, intentionally disturbing “God is a Bullet” is an understatement.“God,” based on Boston Taran’s acclaimed 1999 debut novel, charts the lengths Detective Bob Hightower is willing to go to rescue his teenage daughter who was kidnapped by a merciless cult after they murdered her mother, his ex-wife.“God,” Coster-Waldau, 52, made clear in a Zoom interview this week, was not chosen merely to do something different after his romantic role opposite Jennifer Garner in the popular AppleTV+ hit series “The Last Thing He Told Me.”“I wanted to do this because of Nick Cassavetes. I really admire him as a person, as a director. We did a movie 10 years ago, which was also so different to ‘God,’ called ‘The Other Woman.’“He showed me back then the script he’d written,” an adaptation of “God.”  “I thought it was the darkest thing I’ve ever read.”It took Cassavetes, best known for “Th...