Tsitsipas tops Garin in 3 sets in first action at Miami Open

Published Thu, 28 Mar 2024 08:48:53 GMT

Tsitsipas tops Garin in 3 sets in first action at Miami Open MIAMI GARDENS, Fla. (AP) — Third-ranked Stefanos Tsitsipas beat Chilean qualifier Cristian Garin 6-3, 4-6, 6-4 at the Miami Open on Monday, the Greek’s first on-court action after a bye and walkover in the opening rounds.Tsitsipas had 12 aces in his first victory since an opening-round win in Rotterdam over Emil Ruusuvuori in mid-February. He ran his record to 3-0 against Garin, who was attempting to become the first Chilean player to reach the fourth round in Miami since Fernando Gonzalez in 2010.After losing the first set, Garin won eight straight points late in the second to force a decisive third. Tsitsipas had a critical break at 4-all in the final set and advanced.Tsitsipas, who withdrew from Acapulco due to a shoulder injury and lost in the opening round in Indian Wells, overcame 21 unforced errors in his first match of the tournament.“I was waiting for a very long time to get out and play,” Tsitsipas said, according to the ATP Tour website. “It has almost felt like a v...

Terps out of NCAA tournament after Elite 8 loss to top-ranked South Carolina

Terps out of NCAA tournament after Elite 8 loss to top-ranked South Carolina The Maryland Terrapins women’s basketball team is out of the NCAA tournament after losing to the South Carolina Gamecocks 86-75 in the Elite 8.Maryland had a tough game ahead of them Monday night, competing against the reigning national campions and top-ranked South Carolina basketball team. The game, played in Greenville, South Carolina, saw the Terrapins down 30-38 at halftime. From there, things didn’t get much better for the Terps.More College Basketball NewsMore Sports NewsDespite getting into foul trouble at the start of the third quarter, Diamond Miller led Maryland in scoring with 24 points, going nine for 16 from the field.For the Gamecocks, Aliyah Boston led the way in terms of scoring tallying up 22 points.Had the Terps won, it would have been their first Final Four appearance since 2015.Source

At least 16 killed, dozens missing, in Ecuador landslide

At least 16 killed, dozens missing, in Ecuador landslide ALAUSI, Ecuador (AP) — A massive landslide swept over an Andean community in central Ecuador, burying dozens of homes, killing at least 16 people and sending rescuers on a frantic search for survivors, authorities said Monday.Ecuador’s Risk Management Secretariat said more than 30 people were rescued and nearly 50 others remained missing following Sunday’s landslide in Alausí, about 137 miles (220 kilometers) south of the capital, Quito. The agency also reported 23 people were injured when the mountainside collapsed around 10 p.m.“My mother is buried” under the mud, said Luis Ángel González, 58, who also lost other family members Sunday. “I am so sad, devastated. There is nothing here, no houses, no anything. We are homeless (and) without family.” The South American country’s risk management agency estimated that 500 people and 163 homes were affected by the disaster, which also destroyed a portion of the Pan-American Highway.The governor of Chimborazo, Ivan ...

Gun measures inch closer to governor's desk

Gun measures inch closer to governor's desk DENVER (KDVR) - After a long weekend debating gun bills, state lawmakers are still at it.Senators spent all day Monday debating a bill that would establish a three-day waiting period for gun purchases while representatives wrapped up their four-day stint on gun proposals in the afternoon.The gun bills lawmakers have been working on this month made some major progress over the four-day window. Many of them are now steps away from the governor's desk."When I look at them and I think of the hours we put in, the commitment we put into making sure we get the people's work done, I'm really proud of them," said House Majority Leader Monica Duran. Colorado youth violence at 5-year high plateau Duran said she is pleased with how productive state representatives were as they worked on the bills.House Democrats approved three gun bills that will now head back to the Senate for their approval on amendments before heading to Governor Jared Polis to get signed into law.The bill that would move ...

Aurora bans TikTok on city devices and some personal devices

Aurora bans TikTok on city devices and some personal devices AURORA, Colo. (KDVR) -- City of Aurora council members voted Monday night to ban TikTok on city-issued devices and personal devices with access to the city's network. Council members voted 9-1 to pass the resolution."If you have TikTok on your personal device there is still a vulnerability according to our IT team so we want to avoid TikTok on those devices," Dustin Zvonek, an Aurora City Councilman At Large said. Zvonek, the council member sponsoring the resolution said this was first discussed during a study session meeting last week. He said there was no pushback or objections and will be discussed during Monday's city council meeting. “There are thousands of city-issued devices and we can control what is downloaded on there and we want to protect the information on there so this is one step in that direction," Zvonek said. Aurora interim police chief: ‘Juvenile crime is a huge issue’ Zvonek said he asked for a waiver of reconsideration which means the resolution wouldn't have...

Connect For Health Colorado tax form delays being addressed

Connect For Health Colorado tax form delays being addressed DENVER (KDVR) -- Connect for Health Colorado is reaching out to clients who reported not receiving their 1095-A tax forms.The health insurance provider told FOX31 approximately 2,400 accounts were affected out of the 232,000 enrollments in 2022, so most clients received the proper tax documentation.However, some customers have spoken to FOX31 and shared what they have experienced ahead of the tax deadline on April 18.Tom Major told FOX31 he knew something was wrong when he tried for over a month to get his 1095-A form.“I can’t file my taxes,” said Major, who will owe money on his return. Aurora bans TikTok on city devices and some personal devices Diane Krueger, who lives near a rural mountain community, said she was unable to properly communicate with the insurer’s website. “I work from home, I have my office phone connected to my computer,” she said. The Problem Solvers reached out to a spokesperson who confirms data errors are behind the lack of tax forms.A statement provided ...

Tkachuk, Sogaard lead Senators to 5-2 win over Panthers

Tkachuk, Sogaard lead Senators to 5-2 win over Panthers OTTAWA, Ontario (AP) — Brady Tkachuk had a goal and an assist, Mads Sogaard stopped 32 shots and the Ottawa Senators beat the Florida Panthers 5-2 on Monday night.Alex DeBrincat, Tim Stützle, Erik Brannstrom and Shane Pinto also scored for the Senators, who won for just the third time in 10 games (3-6-1).Gustav Forsling scored twice for the Panthers in their fourth straight loss. Sergei Bobrovsky finished with 21 saves as Florida remained three points behind Pittsburgh for the second wild card in the Eastern Conference.Tkachuk got the Senators on the scoreboard first, getting a pass from Thomas Chabot and firing a slap shot past Bobrovsky for his 34th of the season 9:02 into the first period.Brannstrom made it 2-0 with 1:05 left in the opening period, picking up a loose puck in the right circle and firing it past Bobrovsky on a power play for his third.Forsling got the Panthers on the board 5:58 into the second, with a long one-timer from the left point past Sogaard.DeBrincat’...

Relatives say company who promised headstones did not deliver

Relatives say company who promised headstones did not deliver They lost a loved one, but after they paid for a headstone for the grave, they lost all hope of ever getting it or getting their money back. Is there a law to protect grieving family members? It’s tonight’s Help Me Howard with Patrick Fraser.COVID killed Bernard’s brother Anthony.Bernard Manuel: “Anthony. Anyone that knows anthony. he was a giving guy.”The well-liked Anthony Manuel, nicknamed Hot Shot by his family, owned a funeral home, and his family turned to his friend, a fellow businessman, to buy a headstone.Bernard Manuel: “And we want to do something nice, and we want to get him a very nice headstone.”Regina’s son Gregory was murdered while riding a Broward bus. She wanted a beautiful headstone for his gravesite.Regina Campbell: “This is my son..my only son.”When Racquel’s mother passed away, she ordered a bench in 2021 to allow her to sit at the gravesite to talk to her mother, but she can’t.Racquel Pitt: “I think it’s heartless and inconsidera...

Solidarity with the fight for democracy in Israel

Solidarity with the fight for democracy in Israel We, the undersigned citizens of the world, from movements representing tens of millions around the globe and in Israel, condemn the aggressive, anti-democratic legislation proposed by the Israeli government. We stand in solidarity with the citizens of Israel who have been fighting for democracy and taking to the streets in hundreds of thousands for the past 12 weeks.The legislation promoted by the Israeli government, now in its final and crucial stage, will de facto abolish the independence of the judicial system and provide unlimited power to the executive branch. Destroying the checks and balances of Israeli democracy will endanger the rights of so many – first, the political and individual rights of the Palestinian minority in Israel, including disenfranchisement, but also the rights of women, LGBTQI+ people, secular communities, civil society, asylum seekers and immigrant workers. Destroying the checks and balances of Israeli democracy will endanger the rights of so many.M...

Boycott a Russia-led UN Security Council

Boycott a Russia-led UN Security Council Colombe Cahen-Salvador is the co-founder of the global grassroots movement Atlas, and previously co-founded the pan-European party Volt.Can a war criminal head the United Nations Security Council?On March 17, 2023, the International Criminal Court issued an arrest warrant against Russian President Vladimir Putin for the “unlawful deportation” of Ukrainian children — a war crime allegation. And yet, on April 1, Putin’s Russia is set to take up the presidency of the most powerful international body.Although this sounds like a cruel joke on April Fool’s Day, it is not. And for 30 days — the duration of the rotating U.N. Security Council presidency — the world will be collectively shamed as it allows Putin’s imperialistic Russia to take this leadership role. Unless, that is, we do something to stop it, to signal that this cannot be business as usual.We are taught to look at history in a very binary manner — some resisted and some collaborated; or some did good and some did bad. But the ...